Tru Glo Brite Sites Tritium Fiber Optic Springfield Xd

This is a discussion on Tru Glo Brite Sites Tritium Fiber Optic Springfield Xd within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is 70 bucks a good price?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tru Glo Brite Sites Tritium Fiber Optic Springfield Xd

Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I probably wouldn't buy tritium night sights over the internet...not unless I could get a guarantee on the date manufactured.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I probably wouldn't buy tritium night sights over the internet...not unless I could get a guarantee on the date manufactured.
    How long do they last?
    Do they expire?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

The half life of tritium is roughly12 years.

12.32 years to be exact:
    Tritium - Wikipedia Plus Szukarek.com , the free encyclopedia
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I sent the seller a question asking him when the sights where manufactured. How “old” is “too old”?
    Join the NRA!

At 12 years old, it'll be roughly 1/2 as bright as new. 4 years = 2/3, 3 years = 3/4, etc.

Install

"Installation is simple"
    The XD is well know to have press fit sights from the factory that are nearly impossible to move with the regular gunsmith tools like sight pushers. Whacking with a brass punch has lately been an excercise in futility. Springfield will not install aftermarket sights, but will remove the stock ones for you at no charge. Of course, it requires a trip back to the factory. Most of the time we just cut off the old ones with a Dremel if the customer doesn't want to keep them.

I don't think TFO night site have been out 4 years. Have they?

I have a set on my XD. They work great for me. My personal feeling is every CCW you should have night sites on their carry gun. They can not hurt you but they can help you.

As far as ordering over the net. well good luck finding someone who stocks them.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    "Installation is simple"
    The XD is well know to have press fit sights from the factory that are nearly impossible to move with the regular gunsmith tools like sight pushers. Whacking with a brass punch has lately been an excercise in futility. Springfield will not install aftermarket sights, but will remove the stock ones for you at no charge. Of course, it requires a trip back to the factory. Most of the time we just cut off the old ones with a Dremel if the customer doesn't want to keep them.
    YES YES YES
    I bought some tru-glo sites for my XD, and you will definitely have to have them pressed on...I took mine to a local gunsmith, who did it while I waited....about 30-45 minutes...they are very nice once they are on!!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Springfield will not install aftermarket sights, but will remove the stock ones for you at no charge. Of course, it requires a trip back to the factory.
    Not exactly true... Springfield's Custom Shop installed new XS Big Dot Tritium sights on my XD9sc when I ordered them new from the factory before shipping the gun to the dealer!

They also have it listed on the Custom Shop's work order as something they routinely do.

Just my personal experience. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I recently had TFOs installed on my gun. The front sight was BRIGHT before installation and now is dark (no glow) in a dark room. Any idea whether I can have Truglo replace them? My gunsmith had one hell of a hard time getting them on so I really want to have truglo tell me for sure tha tthey will replace them.

Thanks,

CPTD

I suspect that your gunsmith broke one of the vials during his struggle to get them on...you may have to take that up with him and not TruGlo.

Why the hell are people pounding the things in? No one knows how to use a safe-edge file to trim the sight base?? The first Kimbers were the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Why the hell are people pounding the things in? No one knows how to use a safe-edge file to trim the sight base?? The first Kimbers were the same way.
    I think a lot of people who are new to working with metal don't understand fitting. I've helped so many people install semi-drop in parts lately I've thought about going into business. I guess metal shop is out of the high school curriculum now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links