Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed

This is a discussion on Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO It is a deal breaker for me. There is nothing tactical about the word tactical...(Hey, I just made up my new ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is a deal breaker for me. There is nothing tactical about the word tactical...(Hey, I just made up my new signature!) Thats why I'd buy the one direct from Hawkpak, its plain.
    Truer words have never been spoken. We did a demo one year at a community safety day. Took a brick and double stick taped velcro to one side. Placed it on a tarp with a variety of other gear. Explained to all comers that the brick was a "stand off glass breaching device". Later, had an inquiry from another "team" on a vender for the swat brick. No BS!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

2. Remove Ads

If I may add you may want to give consideration to Redoxx products they produce a wide variety of products in many colors. The company was started by two gentlemen with 15 years as military parachute riggers. Regardless the quality is phenomenal and is as durable as any tactical bag I have used. I have the large CPA briefcase and it is one of those products that you know was money well spent. Just a thought.

Redoxx

Regards, James

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    If I may add you may want to give consideration to Redoxx products they produce a wide variety of products in many colors. The company was started by two gentlemen with 15 years as military parachute riggers. Regardless the quality is phenomenal and is as durable as any tactical bag I have used. I have the large CPA briefcase and it is one of those products that you know was money well spent. Just a thought.

Redoxx

Regards, James
    They have some neat stuff, I really like their clays pouch. Their website is really nice as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd vote camera bag..
    F-3X SUPER COMPACT BAG/SAND - Tiffen.Com

or

Tamrac 606

It sounds like Gecko_45 needs to come out with a line of Tactical Man Purses. There is a market out there waiting for him.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Sixto and everybody else,

My first post here because I just stumbled across this thread searching google for info on rifle bags. Right now I'm leaning towards one of the OST Sneakybags (probably the compact one), or the Hawkepack.

Sixto, you mentioned that you didn't like that the Hawkepaks bag flap doesn't cover completely. I too don't like that and the pistol mag pouches on the back out in the open. Well at SKD tactical they are selling a Hawkepak that is very similar to the bugout bag but has a full sized flap: HawkePaks Recon Rifle Bag EDIT: Just got an email reply from Ed Hawke on a Sunday within 6 hours of me sending him an email (great potential customer service!) and he said that they haven't sold too many of the full flap bags so they aren't listed on his website but are at SKD. Waiting on a reply if I can order direct from him in black. END EDIT
    Unfortunately they aren't selling it in black, my preferred color. I might just go for it in coyote tan even though I don't like that the pistol mags color will contrast more and be more visible when in the pouches. I'll probably put a small tac light in the most outboard pouch to slightly hide the mags. Also looking at the great pictures at LaRue's website it does seem that even the larger flap will not cover the mags if the bag is loaded to capacity (however I don't plan on filling it up that much).

The thing I like about Hawkepaks and OST bags are the belt/belt attachment and leg straps so that it will become more stable like a normal belt mounted mag/dump pouch if TSHTF and no MOLLE for discreet everyday bag look.

I looked at bags such as the Condor bag that is on Cheaper than Dirt and County Comm discussed in this thread but while it is the cheaper way to go I don't think it would work as well as a "fighting bag" as the others without the leg/belt system and and the lack of good semi-external, flap hidden mag pouches that would fit my AK mags.

Knuckledrager,

That Diamond Tactical E&E bag looks very low profile and could pass for a laptop bag pretty easily. But does it have some kind of belt attachment/leg strap system? The pictures at their website are very sparse so any more info/pics you could give would be very nice!
    Last edited by MattCFII; March 30th, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: More info on Hawkepak Recon Bag

Administrator
    Welcome, and thanks for the scoop. I'm checking it out now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Great thread. You might (if you want another one...just in case...) want to take a look at Eagle Industries (Eagle Industries - Tactical Equipment, Tactical Gear, Military Supplies) and Tactical Tailor (TACTICAL TAILOR Quality Tactical Gear for Military and Law Enforcement) - they make great quality gear, and have some bags that fit your description.

Austin

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Matt,

The DBT E&E bag has a stowable waist belt. It lives in a channel on the back of the bag and deploys/fastens like a fanny pack.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats right on target Pitmaster & Pgrass. I've looked at the online, but I'm a little concerned that it wont be big enough.
    You may want to look at all of the Maxpedition's Versipack line again. Looks like there are several models that will suit your needs. The Fatboy, Jumbo and Colossus are larger than they appear. The smallest has over two cubic feet of storage if my math is right. You can also add a Proteus to your system or any of the add on modular pockets. The ergonomic design is really comfortable. Or the Devildog is on sale and the Sabercat looks huge. Any bigger and it would have to be a full sized backpack.

I'm sure you have checked out Streicher's but in case you haven't they carry several different brands including Maxpeditions some of the other brands have MOLLE systems though you do not seem fond of the tacky-tale look.
    Last edited by LongRider; March 31st, 2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added links
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCFII View Post
    The thing I like about Hawkepaks and OST bags are the belt/belt attachment and leg straps so that it will become more stable like a normal belt mounted mag/dump pouch if TSHTF and no MOLLE for discreet everyday bag look.
    BTW, on the Hawkepaks the core pack is covered in MOLLE/MASS straps. When you buy the rifle variant they include the mag pouches and water bottle pouch which cover up all tacti-cool straps. But if you get the basic model, it will have straps visible all over it. Also the straps are still visible on the outside of the padded shoulder strap regardless of which model pack you choose. It's not quite as covert/discrete as MattCFII suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Matt,

The DBT E&E bag has a stowable waist belt. It lives in a channel on the back of the bag and deploys/fastens like a fanny pack.
    Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know!

Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    BTW, on the Hawkepaks the core pack is covered in MOLLE/MASS straps. When you buy the rifle variant they include the mag pouches and water bottle pouch which cover up all tacti-cool straps. But if you get the basic model, it will have straps visible all over it. Also the straps are still visible on the outside of the padded shoulder strap regardless of which model pack you choose. It's not quite as covert/discrete as MattCFII suggests.
    So you're saying the MOLLE straps are under the mag pouches and water bottle pouch in the Rifle Bug Out/Recon Rifle Bags? Is this from first hand experience? That would change my opinion some if so but even then the MOLLE webbing is very well hidden.

I knew they also made a similar MOLLE verison that seems slightly smaller here (Called "E&E Bug Out Bag" by Hawkepaks): Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    Hawkepaks/LaRue Bug Out Bag

For the "Rifle Bug Out Bag"/ "Recon Rifle Bag" I can't tell that they are MOLLED on in at all on the LaRue/OST websites (which have some good pics), they look like they are sewn on and the bag is a slightly different size from the MOLLE "E&E Bug Out Bag" Hawkepake/LaRue Rifle Bug Out Bag
    Hawkepak Rifle Bug Out Bag - HAW-MA54

As for the shoulder strap, yes I did notice it has a MOLLE compatible strips. I balked at them in the beginning but they are spaced far enough apart that I don't think that it screams MOLLE and it is very common to see a cell phone pouch on shoulder straps on "normal" camera, murse, and laptop bags. Replacing the strap/strap pad wouldn't be too hard either, but definitely something to consider in the overall picture.

ree
    Upon closer examination, I think you're right and I'm wrong. I thought I read something a few days ago on another forum indicating the mag pouches were removable, but I can't find the post I thought I had read. So I'm guessing my poor reading comprehension and memory got the best of me here. The high res pictures of the rifle bag do look like the water pouch on the end is sewn on without any MOLLE strapping beneath.

I know how you feel Ree, information from all these places can blend together! Hehe well I find out soon enough about the pouches, I just ordered one in black with the Recon bag style bigger flap direct from Hawkepaks last night! Ed Hawke has been very helpful and responsive with the process.

Matt

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links