Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed

This is a discussion on Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is what I need and why I need it, so you guys can make some good suggestions. My job takes me into areas that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed

Administrator

Suggestions on a "GoBag" of a different sort needed

Here is what I need and why I need it, so you guys can make some good suggestions.

My job takes me into areas that are not friendly and I need to remain there for periods of time. Sometimes its only an hour or two, but lots of times that hour or two turns into a day or two.

I need a bag to carry needed items for these unexpected prolonged visits. I use a standard backpack now, but I would like to improve that. Things tend to get lost in that bag, and when I need them, I need them fast.

The new bag cannot be a duffle type, it must be something that I can carry over the shoulder (kinda like a "man purse" or a messenger bag) and move & shoot on the go.

It does not need to be large, but it does need to hold these items securely;

Small first aid kit
    Snacks
    2 liters of water
    Flashlight
    Radio batteries (rather small)
    At least four and up to six pistol mags
    At least four M4 mags
    Medium sized extra pistol (G19 or 228)

A lot of times when I need to "bug out" I need to be able to move quick and be able to defend myself. The mags must be able to be used without opening the main compartment. Further complicating things, I prefer something that does not look to "tactical" as I cant draw attention to myself and I mostly operate in an urban enviroment.

I know its a tall order, but there has to be something out there...
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Sixto,

I picked up a small-ish laptop computer bag at either Ross or Marshalls which might work.

Looks computer-like rather than tactical.
    Has several compartments including a 'mobile office' section for pens, paper, etc. Mags and flashlight fit in there very well for me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

how about a range bag, diffrent sizes withshoulder strap-.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    how about a range bag, diffrent sizes withshoulder strap-.
    I thought about that, but I think it would be rather cumbersome should I need to run. I'd prefer it to be a little thinner and made to be carried for some distance. Sometimes I have to walk (or run) out of places, sometimes for a few miles before I get picked up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Sixto,

I picked up a small-ish laptop computer bag at either Ross or Marshalls which might work.

Looks computer-like rather than tactical.
    Has several compartments including a 'mobile office' section for pens, paper, etc. Mags and flashlight fit in there very well for me.
    I used one of those too. The problem was weight, and finding mags quickly. All the ones I've seen you have to open the outer flap to get to any of the contents. Thats hard to do on the move.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Have you given Maxpedition or One Source Tactical a look. I think both sites might have exactly what you are looking for. One Source Tactical is a subsidiary of Suarez International.

I know the quality of Maxpedition is good. I just bought a Multipurpose bag and like it. There are other models that might meet your needs better. Even the computer bag may be an option.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Moderator
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Thats right on target Pitmaster & Pgrass. I've looked at the maxpeditions online, but I'm a little concerned that it wont be big enough.

The Suarez rifle bag looks like something that might work. Its a little spendy, I wonder if the quality makes it worth the cash.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What a Job

Sixto,

Can't imagine what you do for a living.

Sure sounds interesting though!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    What about a camera bag? A few options:

Bag Camera: Price Finder - Calibex

Sell N Send

Look at either shoulder or top-loading bags
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    Sixto,

Can't imagine what you do for a living.

Sure sounds interesting though!
    I hang out in rough neighborhoods keeping drug dealers and other peddlers of vice on their toes. Sometimes I'm placed in areas to provide security to local VIPs in these same types of areas. It is interesting, but it does get old sometimes. Somedays I cant wait to get a haircut & shave, get back in a police car and drive around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Six i just gotta ask , chock it up to a SA attitude or whatever , but if your concerned with stowing m4 mags why is the non tac looking an issue ? If your in the situation to have a m4 you already are identifiable by the weapon alone . If you dont have the poodle shooter you dont need to stow mags.. Or am i way off line here ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats right on target Pitmaster & Pgrass. I've looked at the maxpeditions online, but I'm a little concerned that it wont be big enough.

The Suarez rifle bag looks like something that might work. Its a little spendy, I wonder if the quality makes it worth the cash.
    Look at the 0604 Last Resort and 0605 Operator in the Maxpedition line. I bought the 0601 MPB to use as a briefcase and like it so far, but I've only had it a few days. The Operator is bigger and does have more external pockets which may meet your needs better. You might also find that they have another bag that could easily supplement some things.

I don't know about Suarez's quality. I just don't know how greedy he is as a businessman. You might check their return policy.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Six i just gotta ask , chock it up to a SA attitude or whatever , but if your concerned with stowing m4 mags why is the non tac looking an issue ? If your in the situation to have a m4 you already are identifiable by the weapon alone . If you dont have the poodle shooter you dont need to stow mags.. Or am i way off line here ?
    No... I wont always have an M4 when on foot. Most times I deploy from a vehicle to get into an area a vehicle cant. I can secure the M4 in other ways if I need to bug out without it, but I cant the mags. I'd hate to leave those behind.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok understood .. Now ya wont like what i have to say here so bear with me and think about it .

You will not find a bag to suit your needs end of discussion .

I recommend you blunder over to dispatch and ask them who is the best seamstress , or find a boot/saddle repair shop as step 1 .
    Then find a leather or nylon bag that is big enough to carry what you want to carry , after that it is to go to the seamstress or saddlemaker ( depending on material ) and pile the bag and needed gear on a table . You both then work on where to stow it ( ideally ) and remake the base bag . By doing this your " tech " can add velcro in liners ect that will give you versitility per your needs for the assignment , and your main issue is to buy a quality bag of the size you can cram the crap in . It wont be cheap , it wont be " easy " but you will have an adaptable bag that can grow with your assignments and heck you ( plural ) may well market it for the folks faced with the same issues .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links