LED Surefire bulbs--Cree or Surefire Brand?

This is a discussion on LED Surefire bulbs--Cree or Surefire Brand? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are the Cree Q5 and P4 lamps any good or should I stick with the Surefire P60L? I could get 3 Crees for the price ...

Thread: LED Surefire bulbs--Cree or Surefire Brand?

Are the Cree Q5 and P4 lamps any good or should I stick with the Surefire P60L? I could get 3 Crees for the price of 1 Surefire. Sounds a little too good to be true and expect them to work as well.

Also if anyone knows whats the total runtime of the Crees. At 200 and 270 lumens I'm sure it won't be all that long. Also how is the focusing of the beam? Is there a tight central spot of are the Crees just a flood beam?
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

If your talking about the Cree and Seoul emitters from vendors like dealxtreme.com, then I've heard that they are pretty durn good. Occasionally you'll get a lemon, so I'd buy 2 to make sure at least one worked. At $10-12 a lamp, thats still pretty good. Most of them are Surefire like in appearance -- strong hotspot with large circle of spill. However, they probably aren't putting out 200, or 270 lumens. Most emitter or bulb manufacturers test the light output at the emitter itself. By the time you factor in the reflector and head of the light, its lost a good deal of output. Surefire tends to conservately rate their lumens, so I'd trust them. The general rule of thumb is to mutiply a different manufacturer's advertised lumens by .60 or .65. Those are the real lumens, for the most part.

Me, id stick with Surefire.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It depends on what you're looking for, in all honesty. If you just want a really bright light to shine around the backyard at animals and such, then I'd go with a cheapie from DX. I have a couple of these, and they are adequate for that purpose. I also keep one in a bag in my car as a roadside or emergency light. However, the modules are poorly constructed, and do NOT meet the same quality standards that the Surefire P60L modules do. There are some high quality aftermarket dropins, notably, those made by Malkoff and a couple of others, like Lighthound. I would trust these in a previously incandescent Surefire such as the 6P or G2, but for weaponlight conversions, I would always stick with the Surefire brand.

As far as the Cree LEDs go, they are top of the line. The Q4 and Q5 are the same led, with the Q5 meeting higher QC standards and being able to provide more lumens/watt (higher efficiency - this is the same process that CPU makers use to create chips rated for different clock speeds: Aim high, and sort out what you get into lower grades). For the most part, at low voltages (1.5-3v) you won't be able to tell the difference in output between a Q4 and Q5 because the LED will not be driven at its limit. In a 6v tactical light, the Q5 shows a greater increase in performance because it can be pushed harder for more light, or underdriven for the same output as the Q4 with more runtime. Surefire uses CREE LEDs in some of the newer lights, but I do not know for sure what model uses which LED.

If you have further questions, you may wish to check in with the folks at CandlePower Forums. Bear in mind that they are an international community of "flashaholics", and not all of them are interested in self defense - or for that matter, even have the ability or right to own a firearm - so their advice should be taken with this in mind.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

$85 for the conversion kit...you can buy a whole new light for that!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have the Malkoff in my 6P and it is amazing. I could go on and on about how good it is. The BOG drop-in is about as good too. I'd stay away from those cheapo drop-in modules. They don't put out nearly as many lumens as they say they do and aren't very made very well. You get what you pay for.

With two cells, the light drops out of regulation at about 1 1/2 hours. Not sure how much longer it will last after that; probably will keep going in moon mode. The beam on the Malkoff is a hotspot with very good sidespill. Basically it throws very well but still has a LOT of flood. I have mine mounted on my AR unless I need to carry it as a kubaton. I also have the strike bezel and 9P extender.

I'd be happy to answer any more question you might have.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Does surefire offer this kind of performance!
    Technical Specifications:
    Working voltage: 4.0-15.0v
    Maximum output at the emitter approximately 256+ lumens
    Run Times: 2-3 hours (High Ouptut), 6 hours+ (Low Output)
    Emitter - Cree Q5
    Recoil rated
    1 year warranty
    The package will fit the following SureFire Lights: G2, G3, 6P, 6PD, 9P, Z2, G2Z, C2, C3, M2

200+ lumens for 2+ hours with a low output option and a strobe feature
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'd get some reviews and tests on one of those before I'd buy one. But still, Surefire can get a lot more out of their lights if they tried. They do have a couple new ones that are really nice, but they are too expensive for me.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

What about the Fenix lights?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The Fenix lights are great - I love my P3D-CE, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the new TK10/T11 (update to the T1)... but that's not what he asked about. =)

Yep I have a 6P that I carry on my duty belt. I'm not necessarily looking for super brightness b/c if used to clear a pitch black building it will hurt my eyes too and is destracting. The X300 is also on my duty belt and it's about as bright as I need.

I'm most looking for extended run time in a general law enforcement use light. I have the X300 for most of my tactical needs and a SL20 gets used 90% of the time.

Well, given what you've said I'd suggest picking up either the P60L module or the new 6PL light, and keep your existing 6P as a backup. You might also want to look at the new E1B as well. It's smaller than the 6P, runs on 1 cell, and is brighter than the incandescent 6P (and also has a very low mode so you don't destroy your night vision looking at an ID or map). It also runs longer than the original 6P, but nowhere near as long as the 6P LED.

P60L-LED-Assembly

6P® LED

E1B Backup™

I really like the looks and specs of the new Surefire E1B Backup!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well I specifically want a Surefire that fits in the v70 holster. I have an E1L that I have been carrying for a few years and really like but I only carry it off-duty. I can only carry so much stuff and 3 lights should be enough.

Sponsored Links