Colt 1911 magazine failure

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 magazine failure within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So one of my two Colt mags crapped on me tonight. Five rounds into a mag, what I thought was just a weird bounce of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 magazine failure

Colt 1911 magazine failure

So one of my two Colt mags crapped on me tonight.

Five rounds into a mag, what I thought was just a weird bounce of the spent brass turned out to be the bottom literally falling out of one of my Colt magazines. The floor plate just came off. Looking at the pieces right now, it looks like the bottom is supposed to be welded in place and it isn't really supposed to come off. Either way, the floor plate doesn't stay in anymore and the mag is trash.

Is this a common problem? I already plan to move to more lasting mags than these (Wilsons and Power Mags), but I was hoping for a little better quality from Colt magazines.

-B

2. Remove Ads

1) get rid of those crappy mags.

2) Go out on the net to Wilson combat, Chip McCormick or Virgil Tripp and get some better mags, especially if that gun is your carry gun.

Especially if you would bet your life on that gun going bang when you pull the trigger.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    I dont know if that problem in particular is common, but I havent heard much good about Colt mags.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep, you would think when you pay $900-1300 for a gun, they'd included quality mags, but oh no. Both Colt and Kimber mags are crap. I replaced them with Wilson Combat mags, that just happen to have a lifetime warranty on them.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

I had that happen to me with a cheap mag that came with my Champion. I use Wilson or KimPro Tac mags now. I don't know anything about normal Kimber mags but the Tac mags have run perfect for me.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Huh, so my hope that Colt = quality would apply for their mags is unfounded? This does not a happy BAC make!

edr9x23super, already on it. I'll probably lean towards the Power Mags for now due (cost reasons), and I imagine they'll do me well enough for the short term. Virgil Tripp I hadn't heard of until now, so thanks for mentioning it. Good to have three reputable sources for 1911 magazines.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Huh, so my hope that Colt = quality would apply for their mags is unfounded? This does not a happy BAC make!
    This is not necessarily the case.

There's an entire art/science behind 1911 mags and a wide variety of "colt" mags, some of which are better than others (especially when you're talking older mags).

Design of the mags is a very complicated thing, and not easily assigned "good" or "bad". The feed lips on a magazine may be designed for different types of rounds. A lot of folks, even 1911 folks, don't know this. Not all work great with all types of ammo. But these are feed issues, and not the issue you had.

I would be interested in seeing close up pictures of your failed mag.

Here's a good article on 1911 mags that provides good information on how different kinds actually work. 1911 Magazine Analysis It's something to consider when picking out new magazines.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Administrator
    Yes, I have seen the floorplate blow out on two Colt magazines.
    One of mine.
    If the mag is good otherwise then have somebody tack weld it back on for you and use it for a range mag.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BlackPR, I'll have pictures of it tomorrow (daylight); I've been needing to break out the recently reacquired (ongoing war, I tell ya) camera to snap pics of the new grips.

QK, how much does that usually cost, out of curiosity? I don't know anyone personally who can do it, and would prefer not to pay the cost of the mag in repairing it.

(Midway has Power Mags for $17. Cool!)

-B

Administrator
    I'd just hold onto it and ask around locally.

I'm betting you'll eventually find a guy that does hobby welding that will tack weld it back on for you free.

Most properly tuned Colt pistols will handle Colt factory mags just fine.

They are usually good quality.

I use a lot of Colt factory mags and they are fine.

Colt uses Wolff springs in their mags BTW.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Here's a couple quick pictures I snapped of the dead mag. I can get more if other angles are requested.

-B

JD
    Administrator
    BAC, I thought you had a Springfield? Where did this mag come from?

**ETA, the reason I ask is that the mag pictured doesn't look like a "newer" production Colt mag.

IMHO, me being no expert, that looks like a bogus mag, IE NOT Colt. I'm sure OD could tell for sure.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

**ETA, the reason I ask is that the mag pictured doesn't look like a "newer" production Colt mag.

IMHO, me being no expert, that looks like a bogus mag, IE NOT Colt. I'm sure OD could tell for sure.
    Agreed. That's a counterfeit mag.

If it was a Colt factory mag, it would have the Rampant Pony stamped on it.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I saw this happen in person last year on a friend's gun while he was loading the mag. Welded the baseplate back on, little bluing and all's well.
    I just picked up a Para 1911 and will be doing the same thing on the Kimber and Colt mags that I'll be using for carry. They have 4 tack welds that are pretty darn flimsy. I know everyone says Wilson mags are the greatest, but personally I don't care the plastic baseplates.
    If you want to send it to me with a couple bucks return shipping I'll be happy to fix it for you.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    You might try taking it to one of those places at the mall that fix eyeglasses -- if they have a laser welder they should be able to weld it back together with the required precision.

Similar mags are available for $8 here so it's probably not worth the cost of mailing the broken one to me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links