Speaking of BGs wearing vests, what about GGs wearing bad vests!

This is a discussion on Speaking of BGs wearing vests, what about GGs wearing bad vests! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check this out: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...letproof_vests...

Thread: Speaking of BGs wearing vests, what about GGs wearing bad vests!

Senior Moderator

Speaking of BGs wearing vests, what about GGs wearing bad vests!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - this has been ongoing for some time now - leading most folks to assume that corporate greed won, over responsibility and integrity.

No vest is foolproof anyways but when material has been shown to be degradeable under some conditions that should be the wake-up call for change.

Yet again - it'd seem that once a corp' gets large then greed and ''sweeping under the carpet'' become all too likely.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Yep, old news on the vests failing. Too bad too, Davis started out with his heart in the right place, trying to save officers lives. In fact , the plant is close to me, here in MI. Lots of lives have been saved by second chance vests.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Yes - this has been ongoing for some time now - leading most folks to assume that corporate greed won, over responsibility and integrity.

No vest is foolproof anyways but when material has been shown to be degradeable under some conditions that should be the wake-up call for change.

Yet again - it'd seem that once a corp' gets large then greed and ''sweeping under the carpet'' become all too likely.
    P95, suggest you do some research on SC and Rich Davis.

Sorry if I offend you, but I have known Richard for many years, and also know his attitude toward cops, and taking care of them.

Edit'ed For Hostile Content BUD
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Is a shame i Rember when he used to go around and shoot himself point blank with a 44 magnum

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry KC - I was making maybe too great an assumption - just that the duration of the situation has made for perhaps some cynicism.

No wish to unfairly defame a friend of yours - realizing you know more than me for sure. Apologies.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Is a shame i Rember when he used to go around and shoot himself point blank with a 44 magnum

He would shoot himself with several diffrent calibers. Also had lots of fun shooting cars and such , sort of a informal test. We had lots of videos send to the Dept. I worked. Some fun watching.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    The sad thing is that this was all documented back in 2001. I found it when searching for info to decide which vest to buy in 2002. I ended up printing out ~40 pages and handed it off to a couple of chiefs that I know. They weren't interested . . . their comments were "we already paid for them, we're not about to replace them!"

I understand that the results of tests on degraded vests was given to the mfrs and they ignored it. I also think (not 100% positive) that there may have been some internal memos to the effect that heat degraded the materials very rapidly (this would be a smoking gun).

They breakdown (permanently) when subjected to high heat (like left in a trunk), so Richard could take new units off the assembly line and no problem would be found.

Bottom line: Regardless of motive, the mfrs didn't do the right thing. Likewise the penny-pinching chiefs don't give a damn about the lives of their men/women and didn't do anything either (1st step would be to stop purchasing any more of the defective product).

Links