Scanners

This is a discussion on Scanners within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious how many people here use Scanners (of the radio sort, not the optical sort), and what kinds? I frequently scan in the area ...

Thread: Scanners

Scanners

I'm curious how many people here use Scanners (of the radio sort, not the optical sort), and what kinds?

I frequently scan in the area I live in, which is sometimes interesting listening, and sometimes frightening. My wife says it scares the heck out of her.

It's a nice way to partially awaken sheep, too, since typically most of what the police do is invisible to most of us.

My current setup isn't great, but I'm considering this: PSR-500

Any recommendations/opinions?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I'm curious how many people here use Scanners (of the radio sort, not the optical sort), and what kinds?

I frequently scan in the area I live in, which is sometimes interesting listening, and sometimes frightening. My wife says it scares the heck out of her.

It's a nice way to partially awaken sheep, too, since typically most of what the police do is invisible to most of us.

My current setup isn't great, but I'm considering this: PSR-500

Any recommendations/opinions?
    I was going to say "for that kind of money you could pick up a used Glock" but I figured you weren't the type to waste money.

Seriously though, that is a lot of money for a scanner. The question I would first ask, what will you gain over your current setup if you buy the new one? Are you not getting enough of info over the scanner now?
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Seriously though, that is a lot of money for a scanner. The question I would first ask, what will you gain over your current setup if you buy the new one? Are you not getting enough of info over the scanner now?
    You can't listen to agencies that are on digital systems without a digital scanner... They are all in the $500 range.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    I was going to say "for that kind of money you could pick up a used Glock" but I figured you weren't the type to waste money.

Actually, my current rig is internet streaming. For those in Colorado you can go to ScanColorado: Live Colorado Police, Fire, and EMS Radio and listen in. What's difficult is EMS, Park Service (while I'm camping), and all sorts of other fun freq's, including the ability to pick up nearfield frequencies (nearby radio transmissions).

The price is really not that far out for digital trunking scanners that pick up the new digital trunking radio systems that police are starting to use. Even the Bearcats and such with those capabilities are in the same price range.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I think it's better then buying a cornflake!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I've been looking into getting a scanner but I've been told that the cheapest digital ones will run me around $500.

If anyone knows of anything cheaper that will pickup channels listed on the below web site, I'd appreciate it.

SCANNER INFO

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I've been looking into getting a scanner but I've been told that the cheapest digital ones will run me around $500.
    You've been told correctly. Those are digital trunked systems. The Bearcat BCD396T, or the GRE in the original post would both do it. But even the radio shack digital trunking model is $500.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I think it's better then buying a cornflake!!

+1
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    You've been told correctly. Those are digital trunked systems. The Bearcat BCD396T, or the GRE in the original post would both do it. But even the radio shack digital trunking model is $500.
    Worth a shot. Thanks for the confirmation.

Call your local police or sheriff and see if they offer a ride along program. You'll get to see first hand what the crime is like in your area. Then carry on with the scanner to follow up.
    “Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."” - Jeff Cooper

Plenty of action without a digital in my opinion. I've had Unidens for years. If everything goes to digital---forget it--I can see plenty of other things to do with that money. Now if a factory refurbished digital was to run around say $150 or less, I might go for it.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Ya the old work radio

i have an old bearcat (800 frequency).had forabout 10 yrs or so.
    has weather channell and other features. listen to it quite often.
    works great but have been looking for something in the 900 freg.
    they have some pretty heafty price tags though.(so after tax refund
    might go shopping). always enjoyed listening to them. like to get into
    ham radio"s someday.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I also stream off the internet when Im bored and want to see whats going on. However it's hard for me to keep up when im searching for all the codes.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Actually, my current rig is internet streaming. For those in Colorado you can go to ScanColorado: Live Colorado Police, Fire, and EMS Radio and listen in. What's difficult is EMS, Park Service (while I'm camping), and all sorts of other fun freq's, including the ability to pick up nearfield frequencies (nearby radio transmissions).

The price is really not that far out for digital trunking scanners that pick up the new digital trunking radio systems that police are starting to use. Even the Bearcats and such with those capabilities are in the same price range.
    That's an interesting link. Cheaper then $500.00

Links