Leather suspenders

This is a discussion on Leather suspenders within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a problem keeping my pants/belt at my waist when carrying either my S&W 642 in my pocket or my Sig 220 in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather suspenders

Leather suspenders

I have a problem keeping my pants/belt at my waist when carrying either my S&W 642 in my pocket or my Sig 220 in a IWB holster. Always seem to be hitching them up. The elastic on my suspenders stretch too much, and I'm the type that has no hips to keep belt up. Are there any leather suspenders without elastic on the market? does anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    I have a problem keeping my pants/belt at my waist when carrying either my S&W 642 in my pocket or my Sig 220 in a IWB holster. Always seem to be hitching them up. The elastic on my suspenders stretch too much, and I'm the type that has no hips to keep belt up. Are there any leather suspenders without elastic on the market? does anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    I like to carry heavy revolvers and sometimes use suspenders. Here is a link to the type I like. They aren't leather but for me they hold up my trousers without any sag even when carrying a GP100. Actually these Perry suspenders are sometimes available at Walmart.

Attaches To Belt -- Perry Suspenders

1943 - 2009
    Check out Sportsmansguide for leather suspenders.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Leather Suspenders

What a coincidence william, as I'm wearing Perry suspenders right now. they don't do the job, BUT I did go to their site and see they have a heavy duty pair that are twice the thickness as mine. Perhaps tha's the way to go.
    Re. leather suspenders Terry? those shown have elastic which defeats the purpose unless it is very strong. I've looke at them before.
    I was wondering if they made leather ones without the elastic?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe70; March 25th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling and names

1943 - 2009
    Joe,

How about these from MidwayUSA?

Looks like these also have elastic back straps, tho.

I don't think you will find any all leather suspenders.

There might be some out there, tho. Good luck with the search.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Joe70 View Post
    What a coincidence william, as I'm wearing Perry suspenders right now. they don't do the job, BUT I did go to their site and see they have a heavy duty pair that are twice the thickness as mine. Perhaps tha's the way to go.
    Re. leather suspenders Terry? those shown have elastic which defeats the purpose unless it is very strong. I've looke at them before.
    I was wondering if they made leather ones without the elastic?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Yes Joe. Those 2" Perry work suspenders should hold up your trousers with guns or tools. At least they work for me m' friend.

If you want suspenders that do their job, buy a pair of Carhartt's.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Joe...which pair don't do the job? I like the look and theory of the Perry suspenders supporting the belt instead of the pants.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

try Tonto Rim Trading Company Custom Hats. We cowboy action shooters wear leather suspenders quite often.

Some of the stores in this sass link page have some leather suspenders.

SASS Links

Also after a bit of searching found these clip on suspender buttons that look like they will attach to a belt (scroll to bottom)
    CLIP ON SUSPENDER BUTTONS
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Try bib overalls and wear a belt under them with your IWB holster on it. I've been carrying that way for years and have never been made. I use Crossbreed or Kramer on my belt depending on what I want to carry and if it's too hot I wear my Smartcarry holster that will work with my Baby Eagle .40 or Sig Pro .40. It's also comfortable no matter what rig I wear.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Leather Suspenders

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Joe...which pair don't do the job? I like the look and theory of the Perry suspenders supporting the belt instead of the pants.
    I've been using the 1 1/2" original Perrys . Had them for over a year and like them but they don't work as well with hardware on my hip. I'm going to look at the 'Ruf-N-Tuff mdls (twice as thick) or as Les stated, go to Carhartt's.
    Joe

IME over a period of many years, a really heavy gun won't be well enough supported by elastic suspenders. They'll help, but things will still sag to one side. If you choose such, the Perry brand, which attaches to the belt, and the Holdup brand (Holdup Suspender Company manufacturers of the patented no-slip suspender clip), which attaches to the pants waistband, are your best options IMNSHO, and I've used them for years with lighter weight guns plus all the other gear that goes on my belt.

The Perry varieties are all elastic, even the "heavy duty" ones except for one; that's the Industrial Original Perry Suspenders, which use non-elastic polymer webbing for the two main straps, with only the support-brace strap at the rear being elastic.
    These work best for me for carrying all-steel 1911s or revolvers.

I will even use the lightweight nylon Occidental Tool harness suspenders for helping to support a heavy sidearm plus two reloads plus multi-tool plus keys plus other stuff sometimes!
    A gun on the belt supported by suspenders is basically a form of low-riding shoulder holster, and every type of support can be helpful when it coms to carrying around a three pound chunk of steel on one side of your body.
    Humani nihil alienum

Bones...I didn't see the Perry Industrials on the link from an earlier post. Do you have a link?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have a pair of Nocona leather suspenders that have nickel plated brass snaps for attaching to you pants belt loops. I was at Wally World checking out at the automotive counter and noticed a keyring holder that slides over my belt I reversed them and had them come in under my belt like the Perry suspenders. It makes a heavy duty setup that carries the heaviest handguns IWB or OWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links