I carry a light, but I don't want one on my gun. - Page 2

I carry a light, but I don't want one on my gun.

This is a discussion on I carry a light, but I don't want one on my gun. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tangle - I have never run my Aviator that long. However I can believe that the xenon bulb would get very hot. I will have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I carry a light, but I don't want one on my gun.

Tangle - I have never run my Aviator that long. However I can believe that the xenon bulb would get very hot. I will have to do an experiment on heat as it would take me about 10-15 min to clear my house carefully.

ExSoldier762 - I have seen and used friendís lasers. Usually I can only see the beam in dusty or foggy situations. However if the perp were aware that you are awake he would see what looks like someone with a red LED waving it around if it is pointed in the general direction of the BG. If you hold off lighting the laser until you have a clear target then most likely you will have illuminated them with a flashlight or there is enough residual light that the BG already knows where you are.

Lasers are more of an intimidation factor in events that have a delayed flashpoint. If the BG is ready to shoot on sight it will not really matter. He who sees the other first gets first shot and if you are shot at you may be hit, if hit you may be killed. I know my house, and in my house darkness is my friend. The only time I want a BG to know where I am located is when he is staring down the barrel of fate . . . :D

In all fairness I should pick up a WML for my XD tactical to see how it would affect my usage of the weapon. Small buttons are something to be avoided in adrenalin situations. Can anyone comment on the operations of these lights?
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Greymoor,
    Unfortunately, or should that be fortunately, no other Xenon lamp based flashlight shut down or even got more than slightly warm.

What this leads me to believe, since the Aviator must use some electronics to drive the LEDs, that somehow it's the electronics that's causing the heat problem rather than the Xenon bulb.

Assistant Administrator
    somehow it's the electronics that's causing the heat problem rather than the Xenon bulb.
    That crossed my mind Ron - not just hot bulb but maybe too a poorly heat-sinked SCR or power tran'.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm, I wonder if Surefire have a fix for this. I would have to run my light to see if it overheats.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymoor
    Hmmm, I wonder if Surefire have a fix for this. I would have to run my light to see if it overheats.
    I'd sure like to know what it does. If it helps, you can buy Sanyo batteries from Botach for $1.00 apiece. So it would only cost about two bucks to find out.

You probably want to know before you really depend on it. If yours doesn't overheat then it's not a factor anymore. If it does...

I wonder if Surefire has a fix for it too. It could be a design problem that is not easily fixed, but if they can't fix it, I bet they would offer you a different light that's comparable or better.

If you don't mind running down two batteries, I'd really like to know if it overheats.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    That crossed my mind Ron - not just hot bulb but maybe too a poorly heat-sinked SCR or power tran'.
    Yeah, it almost has to be something like that. It's interesting that the L2, a high power LED, and the A2, Xenon with three low power LEDs both overheat and they both have electronics in them.

OTOH, the Streamlight TL2 LED, TL3 LED, and the Inova LED have electronics also and they only get warm over the entire discharge time.

Actually, as I think about it, it seems more like inefficient power control that generates more heat than the heatsink/case can handle.

Hey Tangle,

I will give it a test run with two fresh batteries and see how my Aviator does.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

I *always* have one or two flashlights on me - usually a "LIGHT" (like a Surefire) and a "light" (a mini-LED) - no matter what mode of carry I employ.

There are times though - that in ADDITION to the lights I carry - I also have one affixed to my G23/G22.

In other words - I would suggest that instead of thinking "either/or" - one should keep the option of "in addition too" my "daily carry lights" - I can see situations that it would be benefitial to have a light attached to my handgun.

OPTIONS are good.

cheers

tire iron

I have a Surefire Z2 that I LOVE to shoot with. It's awesome. But, I'm also getting a UTL for my USP45 because I'd rather be able to free up one hand incase i needed to do soemthing with it and still be able to blind someone with the light. Every handgun I've had so far has had a light on it. I like my USP without one but I'm getting the UTL just to snap onto my gun while it's on the night stand.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I view lights and lasers on guns the same way I view tracers. They work both ways. If I have to clear my house and I don't know where the BG is, he will know where I am the moment I turn on the light. No thanks. I really don't want to give him that much information.

Of course I don't leave my house totally dark. I have a small light in the kitchen I leave on. I also have night lights plugged in to wall outlets in both bathrooms and the hallway. I can move through my house at night without any other lights and my dog will let me know where the BG is.

Hi all where i work we shoot at night with the lights off at the range, we then use our flashlights to spot the target. My flashlight is the G-2 Surefire, i use the Harries tecnique and for me it works well.
    My new XD9sc has a rail on it but i have no plans to mount a light on it as i would rather have the flexabilty on having a seperate light. The way i have been taught to use a light is to turn it on to spot something and it goes off again unless i need to shoot, not leaving it on like you see in the movies.
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 GM
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links