Annoying safe beeps

This is a discussion on Annoying safe beeps within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a honeywell 2072 safe, and i feel that it was a great deal for the 90 dollars I payed for it. (Obviously ...

Thread: Annoying safe beeps

Annoying safe beeps

I recently purchased a honeywell 2072 safe, and i feel that it was a great deal for the 90 dollars I payed for it. (Obviously no fire protection, but keeps prying hands out at the least). My only complaint is that there is no option to turn off the loud beeps associated with every single button press. Its loud, unnecessary, and i'd prefer to keep my safe opening low key. So I unscrewed the back plate hoping that maybe there was some sort of speaker that I could just disconnect the wire to. But the noisemaking device is apparently mounted right to the circuitboard (boy its extra loud when the back plate is off!) I fear that I am out of luck, I put a piece of tape over the hole, which seemed to cut the volume by perhaps 1% Any ideas? The round black piece seemed to be where all the racket was coming from...
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

If I'm correct you will have to take the board off and with a soldering iron remove the sounder. Then you will have to put a resistor in it's place that displaces the same voltage the sounder did to complete the circuit.
    I hope you have some electronics experience.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Try thick duct tape over the hole. Won't shut it down completely, but maybe make it more tolerable.

Try a piece of dense foam between the speaker and the front panel. I have the same safe... the problem with not hearing the beeping is that is how it reminds you to change the batteries.

I have two safes (a Browning and a Liberty) the Browning has the electronic combo...the beeps are not a problem...not very loud either. There is purpose for the beeps, though, i.e., wrong number push, battery need, or a reset, etc...I would not completely remove the sound factor.
    Just how loud can it be?

Did you contact the company which makes the safe/and or lock?
    Unless you are an electronics wizard, I wouldn't mess with your safe lock...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is purpose for the beeps, though, i.e., wrong number push, battery need, or a reset, etc...I would not completely remove the sound factor.
    Just how loud can it be?
    You are correct that those things are indicated by beeps, but they are also indicated by lights on the face. I guess the problem is not really that the beeps annoy me (i know, misleading title), its just that i want them gone. Example: midnight home invasion, I don't want everyone and their brother to know i'm opening up my safe. I'm not looking to modify things too much, and i'm no soldering expert. I don't think duct tape will help, because covering it with my finger doesn't help much either. The foam is a decent idea to quiet it. I suppose I will probably just end up living with it.

Also for the low battery problem, I believe you can press the test button and low batt will be indicated by a red light instead of a yellow one.

I bought a similar safe from Harbor Freight. I opened it up and with a razor knife, I cut the trace on the board going to the speaker. No more beeps.

I know this is a long dead thread but I just came across it in Google. I have a Bulldog Vault. It has a lights on front and a key override, so I most definitely do not need sound. My board looked close to the one in the very first picture. I took the cylinder shaped speaker and rocked it back and forth until it broke off. Everything still worked after I removed it and now I have a silent safe.

Hey Mr. Homicidal Home Invader and Friends;

Here I am! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Come shoot me here! Here I am! Beep! Beep! Beep!

What else is fatally flawed about this design?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Hey Mr. Homicidal Home Invader and Friends;

Here I am! Beep! Beep! Beep!

Come shoot me here! Here I am! Beep! Beep! Beep!

What else is fatally flawed about this design?
    Hey, Mr. Homicidal Home Invader, I'm over here, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Super glue in the sounder will work

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkphillips View Post
    Super glue in the sounder will work
    I used pliers to rip the sounder out of my battery backup, so that could work here. Slight risk of damaging the board or imbalancing a circuit, though.

"Superglue"? Hmmm. I'll remember that. I was thinking of a gob of caulking compound. Chewing gum might also work.

Links