LaserMax or CTC - For J-Frame????

This is a discussion on LaserMax or CTC - For J-Frame???? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I really want to buy a laser for my SW J-Frame. I'm not sure whether to buy the LaserMax or the Crimson Trace ...

Thread: LaserMax or CTC - For J-Frame????

LaserMax or CTC - For J-Frame????

Hey all,
    I really want to buy a laser for my SW J-Frame. I'm not sure whether to buy the LaserMax or the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Which should I go with? Pros and Cons please of both products. Currently I had my eye on the CTC Grips LG-405 because they are small yet also have a "recoil reduction pocket" that supposedly reduces recoil by 30% The LaserMax product (I was looking at LMS-JMX-NH) does not have this "recoil reduction pocket". Anyone also know how the LaserMax grips feel when shooting?

CTC Grips: Crimson Trace Lasergrips - LG-405 for S&W J-Frame

LaserMax: LaserMax: Internal Laser Sight for GLOCK 19, GLOCK 23, GLOCK 32

All advice is good advice so... let me know what you think! Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I have no experience with the LaserMax grips but I will say I'm not crazy about the laser being mounted up high like shown in the picture. If the laser should fail, I'm sure it isn't actually in the way of your fixed sights, but I would think it sticking there in your sight picture would be a distraction.

If you decide on the CrimsonTrace grips, may I suggest you check out Shooters-Resource. Cheapest price I've been able to find. I ordered a set of CT grips for my Sig P239 on 03-26 and received them today, 03-31. Pretty good service for the value.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I don’t have any experience with the LaserMax, but I am very fond of the CT grips. In addition to what Hoss stated above, I wonder if you might run into problems finding a holster that would accept the LaserMax?

Ultimately though, think about one thing; S&W decided to go with the CT grips with their factory installed combos. That should say something there.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

None of my 642 holsters would fit that LaserMax, plus it looks clunky and cheap. I love their Glock models that replace the guide rod though. If you don't mind a little more length, the model 305 that comes stock on the 642CT is a wonderful recoil reducer. My girlfriend has no problem shooting +P's out of hers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

One potential problem with Crimson Trace lasergrips, is that by keeping your finger off the trigger, as you are supposed to do until ready to shoot something (or someone), you could be blocking the laser with your finger.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    One potential problem with Crimson Trace lasergrips, is that by keeping your finger off the trigger, as you are supposed to do until ready to shoot something (or someone), you could be blocking the laser with your finger.
    Ahh thats true, hmmm how do you guys compensate for that, I think I have engrained keeping my finger right in the position that will be blocking the laser. --- That's a big plus for the LaserMax grips...

My trigger finger lays right below the beam on the front of the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by jmt5043 View Post
    Ahh thats true, hmmm how do you guys compensate for that, I think I have engrained keeping my finger right in the position that will be blocking the laser. --- That's a big plus for the LaserMax grips...
    If you hold your trigger finger straight forward, the tip of the finger is on the front outside edge of the trigger guard and it is a non-issue.

You can make any device "not work" if that is your intention.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I have CT's on my 642 and Taurus 94. they work great, customer service is superb, and they send me free batteries and cleaners every year if i request them. What could be better? the lasermax might not fit all holsters and you might knock the laser since it's on the top of the gun. But, I've never used one so I can't say its not as good as a CT's. It might be a bit easier to sight in.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The pros and cons of CTLG:

Pros-
    The customer service from CT is OUTSTANDING! They are wonderful to deal with. They stand behind their products and I have never had any easier time getting support from a company for my holster business.
    Cons-
    If you have already made a habit of keeping you finger above the trigger guard until you are ready to fire, you will most definitely obstruct your laser constantly. Because the laser is somewhat far from the barrel, the laser will only truly reflect the point of impact at one specific distance.

The pros and cons of LaserMax:

Pros-
    Because of the position of the laser module, you are not in danger of obstructing your lasers path due to proper trigger discipline. Also, the laser is in such close proximity to the barrel that the point of aim and the point of impact will be much closer at multiple ranges than that of the competition.

Cons-
    The LaserMax does indeed affect your holster selection quite a bit (I have not yet spoken to lasermax about getting a dummy model for molding holsters, but I plan to do so very soon).

'Hope this helps.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    The pros and cons of CTLG:

Pros-
    The customer service from CT is OUTSTANDING! They are wonderful to deal with. They stand behind their products and I have never had any easier time getting support from a company for my holster business.
    Cons-
    If you have already made a habit of keeping you finger above the trigger guard until you are ready to fire, you will most definitely obstruct your laser constantly. Because the laser is somewhat far from the barrel, the laser will only truly reflect the point of impact at one specific distance.

The pros and cons of LaserMax:

Pros-
    Because of the position of the laser module, you are not in danger of obstructing your lasers path due to proper trigger discipline. Also, the laser is in such close proximity to the barrel that the point of aim and the point of impact will be much closer at multiple ranges than that of the competition.

Cons-
    The LaserMax does indeed affect your holster selection quite a bit (I have not yet spoken to lasermax about getting a dummy model for molding holsters, but I plan to do so very soon).

'Hope this helps.
    -- BoomStick, or for anyone else that might happen to know: For the CT grips you referenced that since the laser is far from the barrel that it will only reflect the point of impact (POI) at one specific distance. TWO QUESTIONS: 1). Can you can "set" the laser to reflect POI at any distance? (If so, what is optimum range to set the laser on a snub being used as my CCW ---5 Yards??) 2). How much variance will you see with the POI. For instance if the laser is set at 7 yards how off will it be for every yard further or closer from the shooter Any thoughts?

I set mine at 10 yards. The POI is minimal from 3 to 20 yards.

I like the Crimson Trace better. But I don't own either, only played with the CT at the gun store, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Links