Safes. . . lets see what you use.

This is a discussion on Safes. . . lets see what you use. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market in buying a wall safe ro even something bigger. (at a low price of course) I just wanted to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safes. . . lets see what you use.

I am in the market in buying a wall safe ro even something bigger. (at a low price of course)
    I just wanted to see what your safes look like. Do you guys have in hidden? I want to get some ideas. Thanks
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I have a refrigerator size rifle/gun safe in the basement. The empty weight is like 600 pounds. It holds like 16 rifles, and has shelves for smaller items. I keep important documents, ammo, and pistols there. It took 5 of us to lower it down the steps into the basement. Three went down in front of it, and two stayed on top, holding the rope. If I move again, I'm not even going to attempt to pull it back out. I'll get another one.

I don't have a pic of it. It's solid black, with the Remington logo on the front. It has a dial type combination lock. It's firesafe to some degree, but I forget what temp and time.

I got it at Fleet Farm like 10 or 12 years ago. I do not recall what I paid for sure, but is was well under $1000. I'd guess in the $600 to $700 range???

I also have a small lockbox under my bed with my XD-45 and a good flashlight in it, for things that go bump in the night.

When kids (or intruders) possibly become part of the equation, a lockbox and/or a safe is a really good idea.

Senior Moderator
    Stack-on 16 gun double door gunlocker, not a safe. It's just to keep honest folks honest
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Stack-on 16 gun double door gunlocker, not a safe. It's just to keep honest folks honest
    Have the single door 14 gun model. For the same reasons. After seeing the video of people getting into an expensive safe in minutes on Youtube, I'm not looking back.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

As once told to me by a master thief, the best safe, is one they can not find.

So, mine is built into the wall of a closet. Holds 12 long runs and shelves for handguns.

Alarm system:

My dogs never bark unless there is a reason, and if someone was inside my house, they would be throwing a fit.

So I’m sure my neighbors who are retired LEOs would be over to see what was going on.

Safe

I have a Winchester marked safe from Sam's. It weighs 500 pounds, is 60 x 30 x 26. Because it is in the garage I have a Goldenrod plugged in to help control humidity. It works, no rust in two years. It has interior shelves for long guns and three shelves for pistols and accessories. It cost $600 and is bolted to the floor of the garage. Before I bought this safe I purchased a Stackon metal cabinet at Academy. It is inside the house in a closet and I keep ammunition, holsters and other gun stuff in it.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

3'x3'x3' commercial safe from a jewelry store going out of business for my handguns. Two men cannot move this small safe. Two full one inch locking pins on all four sides of the door.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

24 gun Red Head here. 500 or so pounds empty. It was around $800 or so if I remember correctly. It is deffinately a good feeling having something to lock your guns up in!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Walmart had these in their stores just before Christmas. I see they are now an online only item.

It's about midway between a Stack-on Cabinet and a true Gun Safe. Price is right... about $250. Keeps the honest guy out at least. I'm sure someone that really wanted in could get in, but that applys to the expensive ones also.

Sentry 10 Gun Safe
    Last edited by Right Wing Wacko; April 2nd, 2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Add url
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    I am in the market in buying a wall safe ro even something bigger. (at a low price of course)
    I just wanted to see what your safes look like. Do you guys have in hidden? I want to get some ideas. Thanks
    Are you looking for a full-size cabinet or safe, or a small one or two gun quick entry type of safe?

For a large safe, I bought a Winchester safe from Sam's Club for under $700. It's worked out great for my needs. After trying to orchestrate helpers and a trailer, I decided to take the easy way out and hired a piano mover to deliver it to my basement for $145. Then, we bolted it to the floor--if we ever move, it stays!

On each level of our home we have one-gun vaults like the pic below; they run about $130 at Cabela's.

"It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Here's mine....

Colonial

In Gloss Burgundy. Pretty.....Suggest that you ask how much to deliver before you make your decision. Some dealers have a machine that'll bring it up the stairs for you too.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

We have a sentry safe from walmart, holds 14 rifles and a shelf for other stuff. My not keep out a trained BG, but it keeps out most all others. Weighs a lot, took three grown men to move it in. We can bolt it to the floor, but haven't yet. Fire safe to a degree and some amount of time, don't remember the specs. A little over $200, but worth the money, would spend more on a better safe, but this one works for who we keep out.

TDPalmer

VIP Member
    Cannon American Eagle 12/24 gun safe. Fire rated, 1" dead bolts, weighs about 550lbs. Does what I need it to do until I hit the lottery!! Of course then I'll need a safe room.

Here's mine, purchased at the local Lowes:

| Sentry® Safe | GV8528 GV8528 Gun Safe
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    As once told to me by a master thief, the best safe, is one they can not find.

So, mine is built into the wall of a closet. Holds 12 long runs and shelves for handguns.

Alarm system:

My dogs never bark unless there is a reason, and if someone was inside my house, they would be throwing a fit.

So I’m sure my neighbors who are retired LEOs would be over to see what was going on.
    tns003 if u wouldn't mind can u take a pic so i can see wht it looks like. i wld like to have a hidden safe so i wouldn't have any probs. (and i think they r super cool )
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links