Roastin' toastin' Surefire

This is a discussion on Roastin' toastin' Surefire within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always keep a Surefire E2E in my purse. We went to the movie theatre, and it was so dark in there you couldn't even ...

Thread: Roastin' toastin' Surefire

VIP Member

Roastin' toastin' Surefire

I always keep a Surefire E2E in my purse. We went to the movie theatre, and it was so dark in there you couldn't even see the seats. I'm not sitting on someone else's chewing gun, so I reached for my purse...

I unzipped the side pocket and stuck my hand in there, and quickly withdrew my hand. Yow! The light had twisted in my purse, activating the light. The batteries were almost extinguished and the light was dim, and the flashlight was really hot. I even have my light wrapped in paracord. The purse pocket was toasty, and so was the six rounds of .38 Spl. +P Gold Dots in the speed strip I had in the same pocket.

I reached back in, grabbed the light, screwed it off and let it air cool. Luckily, I keep extra batteries handy, and I have my Streamlight Stylus in my purse, too. There was no damage to the light or any purse contents.

I learned to not keep my screw cap down so tight, so it wouldn't happen again.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

This is one of the reasons Surefire is worth the money and one is the patented lockout tailcap. I carry mine with the "Safety" on most of the time for this reason.

Senior Moderator
    That was certainly an "enlightening" experience wasn't it! Those things will get hot; especially in closed container.

I knew a guy who used to carry a small LED light in his pocket. It was one of those low power LEDs so it wouldn't heat up appreciably. It had a tailcap switch that screwed on and off and in the process of walking it would come on and it was visible through his pants WITHOUT him knowing it!

I carry a Streamlight TL2 LED clipped in my pants pocket and every now and then something presses the switch and I get a little flash of light.
    Last edited by Tangle; October 5th, 2005 at 05:40 PM.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Betty...

did that with the E1e that I always carry in my pocket...

that sucker sure did get a little warm...

glad to know that you made out ok :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Lead Moderator
    I had the lapel sized led light activate in my pocket before. I noticed a red flashing in my front pocket. Don't carry em on my keychain anymore.

The exact reason I carry Streamlight Scorpion!!!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

You should try leaving a Surefire L-4 on for about 30 min. and see how hot that badboy gets.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Assistant Administrator
    I try Betty to turn the base a full half turn since doing similar. Even my E1e LED head gets mighty warm after a real long use.

You should have thrown some popcorn in the purse - it'd have been done in 5 minutes
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In one respect, that is my personal downfall with the E2E, the tailcap.
    Yeah, it has the safety, and yeah, I carry the light with the tailcap unscrewed, but when I need it, it takes two hands to turn it on. I have the E2D with the switchable tailcap, but the bezel is very sharp, and wears my 511s out.
    I have limited my old SF 6P to holster carry due to the lack of a tailcap safety.
    You can't beat the Stylus LED, except trying to find batteries for them. Quadupple "A".
    I use my Surefires everyday, one of my most used tools I own.
    I still get compliments on how bright they are.

Assistant Administrator
    chameleon - I too use my lil' ol' E1e almost daily. And know what? I checked battery again this evening because of high useage - it was down to a miserable 2.7V and yet - switch on and shine in eyes and ''ouch'' - dazzling still!

I find that remarkable for such theoretically low output (LED head) - and even re distance I can still shine a beam to light up large parts of my yard.

Amazing things and tho I shall be slipping new battery in am well pleased that when voltage falls so low I still have good useful light - and because of LED head, no disastrous sudden failure either.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

LED'S have come a long way in the last two years. I wonder what they will be like in the next two.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Links