2nd Dead Shotgun light - Surefire G2

This is a discussion on 2nd Dead Shotgun light - Surefire G2 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back I took the cheap route and installed a S&W LED flashlight on my Shotgun. A few bird shot down range = no ...

Thread: 2nd Dead Shotgun light - Surefire G2

A while back I took the cheap route and installed a S&W LED flashlight on my Shotgun. A few bird shot down range = no problem. Then I opened up with some 3" mag and the bracket came apart while the lens and bulb shattered.

So lesson learned, right? Quit being cheap and install the good stuff. Next up is a nice sturdy bracket with a Surefire G2. Man that thing sure could light up a dark hallway and staircase! So off to the range to test it under live fire conditions. Two shots of 3" mag and it's dead. No visible signs of breakage, internal or external including bulb. It's just dead.

Yeah, I'm sure Surefire will make it right but that's not the point of this thread. The point is, don't assume that since you paid $65 for a flashlight it'll work when you need it to. Take it to the range and see if it'll hold up under fire of your self defense rounds.

Has anybody here successfully tested a particular flashlight, shotgun mounted, firing 3" mags? If so, please share. Jeeze, do I have to spend $250 for a freaking flashlight that will work?

Thanks,

dvick
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Man, that is totally unacceptable. Hope you can find something that works. Are you using regular bulbs. Maybe try a Xenon or LED light. Keep us updated.

Lead Moderator
    Surefire makes a shock bezel that seemed to work well on my 12 ga. I installed mine on my G2 light, but it works for the 6P as well. I suspect you damaged the G2 bulb from the recoil shock.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've used a dedicated Surefire forestock for years without a problem. I know you don't want to spend that much, but it's a great unit, and the new ones are even nicer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I bought a cheapy aluminum led at the gunshow it has an alumnum bracket and it cost $20 right now i'm trying to fix the instant on switch,i may need a new receptacle you plug the pin into it only works if the pin is spun in the right point.I will fix it but alas ya get what ya pay for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Note, the G2 does NOT have shock isolation. If you are mounting the light to the shotgun, you really need one with shock isolation, or an LED version.

Bottom line is that even with the rugged, high quality bulbs Surefire uses, they will not hold up well to shotgun recoil without some sort of shock isolation.

So, my guess is you bulb is dead even tho you can't see anything wrong with it. Be aware SF may choose not to fix it in that case. See their guarantee:

"THE SUREFIRE NO-HASSLE GUARANTEE

Lamps will burn out and batteries will be used up.
    Everything else is covered by our no-hassle guarantee:
    If it breaks, we fix it."

Probably the cheapest way to upgrade to something that will hold up better is to put a P60L (LED based replacement lamp assembly) in your G2.

Or get something with "shock isolation". That is the magic phrase in Surefire speak. For an example of a light that has shock isolation, check the M2 Centurion description.

If you want to be real sure, the shock isolation + LED lamp assembly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally, I use the dedicated SF forestock like AZ Husker. These have shock isolation.

Note that SF sells special batteries for use with the shotgun 3 cell / 9V forestocks. They are normal SF batteries, but separated by fiber washers and shrink wrapped. This is because the recoil will actually smash in battery contacts on the battery.

Hopefully this gives some hints how much engineering is needed to create a reliable lighting system for a shotgun.

Since you probably need a new bulb anyway, I'd get a P60L for your G2 and try that. Also inspect your batteries for damage.

-john

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
    A while back I took the cheap route and installed a S&W LED flashlight on my Shotgun. A few bird shot down range = no problem. Then I opened up with some 3" mag and the bracket came apart while the lens and bulb shattered.

So lesson learned, right? Quit being cheap and install the good stuff. Next up is a nice sturdy bracket with a Surefire G2. Man that thing sure could light up a dark hallway and staircase! So off to the range to test it under live fire conditions. Two shots of 3" mag and it's dead. No visible signs of breakage, internal or external including bulb. It's just dead.

Yeah, I'm sure Surefire will make it right but that's not the point of this thread. The point is, don't assume that since you paid $65 for a flashlight it'll work when you need it to. Take it to the range and see if it'll hold up under fire of your self defense rounds.

Has anybody here successfully tested a particular flashlight, shotgun mounted, firing 3" mags? If so, please share. Jeeze, do I have to spend $250 for a freaking flashlight that will work?

Thanks,

dvick

Actually, I fell victim to that to. SF needs to put a warning on their lights. I have that surefire light on my 870 built into the pump. I ran some 3 inch mags through it and did the exact same thing you did blew out the bulb. I called Surefire the told me their lights including the shock absorbing ones where NOT for 3 inch mag I was king of befuddled.

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Switch to LED! I expect your problem would go away.

I own a G2 LED - it lives in my right front pocket.

I use an Insight M3X on my M1S90 it has a shock isolated bulb and puts out 125 lumen's.

To date I've used it for a couple shotgun classes, a low light shotgun/carbine class, and a couple of boxes of shells swatting muskrats and beavers on my pond.

I'm still on the same bulb.

You could also get the LED conversion and go up to 80 lumen's. I bought a couple for me 6P and Z2, and have been pretty impressed. Increased light, and definitely increased battery life.

Chuck

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

AEA
    +1 on the LED Conversion.......costs 10.00 and works great!

Do a search for "Cree LED Conversion"

FWIW, I would do the *Surefire* LED conversion (P60L). Yes, you can get non SF conversions for less cost, but personally when it comes to rugged, I'd go with the SF every time where you know they are designing them to hold up under strenuous use. Do you really want to put your trust in a $10 conversion? On the end of a shotgun?

-john

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    + a big one on getting the surefire led head. I've messed around alot with other lights, conversion kits, etc., especially fenix but in the end I found out what other's tried to tell me. There's a reason Surefire is the best. LED is the answer to your problem.

Sponsored Links