Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light

This is a discussion on Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the info, I think I am heading right on over there........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light

Thanks for the info, I think I am heading right on over there.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

I've been..."needing"...a AA battery light, looks like this might be the trick, cheap enough and good enough.
    What Would Gumby Do?

My favorite flashlight! I use Energizer rechargable NiMH AAs and the 15 minute chargers to power mine. This works well because I have many of these batteries to power my photography gear. If you're not going to use the light often, you may consider regular batteries because the NiMH need to be charged frequently to remain conditioned.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    anyone have any comments on the switch? I read you can twist the bottom on/off and there is a push button momentary switch on the tailcap... I am always having my AA maglites turn on in my pocket and run the batteries dry. (oh no it's a flashlight negligent discharge!)

Do these switches stay off reliably in pockets...?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I have the 3w light. I have had it for a few months and it is holding up well for daily carry.

I keep it clipped in my front pocket all of the time. If you keep the tail cap tight but just before it turns on, it will turn on when you sit. If you keep it loose then I find that it does not turn on. The push button does not turn on at all.

It has been a good light for the price, the only thing I wish it had was a flat tail cap so it can stand on end so it can be used at a lantern.

I have carried one of these lights almost daily for the past year or so. I have used various methods of carry based on what I was wearing that particular day. Sometimes on my belt, in a light holster, with the clip, in a bag, sometimes in a pocket, vest or jacket... I have not had an issue with the light turning on. It has enough thread on the tailcap to "lock it out" if you need to so that you won't accidentally turn it on. I haven't had to lock it out for my carry but if I threw it in a bag I'd lock it out.

This is a great light for $20-$25. Actually, a few vendors rebrand it with their own label and sell it for 2 to 3 times that amount.

With the increased burntime when using NiMH or lithiums instead of alkalines this light rivals alot of the competition when you compare similar specs. And it does pretty good with generic alkalines too. With normal AA alkalines and rechargeable NiMH it is cheap to use as much as you want.

I wish I had found this light before purchasing a few other expensive lights (and lithium CR123 batteries) it would have saved me many $$$. Besides if it gets lost, stolen or broken it's not a heart breaker.

I've bought 5 of these for me & 1 for the Mrs. for about what I paid for my first "tactical" light and for several reasons I like it better.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

found a good review and battery runtimes here:

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications

Looks good to me. There is even a lifetime Rayovac warranty (assuming you buy the Rayovac version). The only thing that worries me is if the 3 watt version will heat up too much and damage the electronics in prolonged use. I looked though and there is lifetime warranty...does it for me. I will go buy one and if i kill it with heat, I will just mail it in.

Rayovac - Warrantee and Guarantee Information

Flashlight Warranty
    Rayovac lighting products are unconditionally warranted for life against all defects in materials and workmanship. Excludes abuse and accidents. No receipt required. For replacement, ship your light prepaid to the address below.

Spectrum Brands, Inc.
    ATTN: Rayovac Consumer Services
    601 Rayovac Drive
    Madison, WI 53711
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Thanks for the heads up. Will pick up a few of those.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I've had one of these flashlights for about 3 mo now and I like it.
    I get my batteries for free at work(standard alkalines). Everyone here seems to like the NiMd or lithiun batteries. I would be willing to invest in one of these types if their performace would outpace free.
    Are they that much better? If so, what brand, charger, setup, etc would you recommend I buy?
    Thanx,
    Pat
    CZ85B
    Kahr cw9

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Lithiums will give you brighter light and longer runtimes than all of the above, but can be expensive. I'd go with rechargables (I use at leash 2400mah) from any name brand. I currently have Energizer and Duracell, but I've heard that Rayovac has some new nice ones as well. They will be better than regular alkalines as well.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Very pleased with mine; bought one for my dear wife as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pjelect View Post
    ...Everyone here seems to like the NiMd or lithiun batteries.
    Are they that much better? If so, what brand, charger, setup, etc would you
    I recommend Rayovac Hybrid, or Eneloop Nickel metal hybrid low-self-discharge rechargeable batteries. Any Ni-MH charger will do. They are about $2 each and are fabulous.

I had one issue with the light- my Rayovac Hybrid batteries are a tiny bit larger than AA alkalines and they wouldn't fit in the flashlight! I removed the battery direction sticker from the inside of the tube and they go in fine now. A little snug, but they do come out again.

Bought one of these lights at REI today. They are on clearance for $20, branded as "Essential Gear":

Essential Gear S2 LED Flashlight - '07 Overstock from REI-OUTLET.com

Quality is higher then i expected. Caps screw cleanly and o-rings look watertight. Switch is sturdier then I expected too. They are about equal to the mini-maglite quality. Beam is bright and even. The tube part where the batteries go in is a tiny bit smaller than I would like (smaller then the AA maglite tube), but I got my rechargable batteries in after some fiddling. Tailcap o-ring benefited greatly with a tiny but of grease.
    Last edited by nutz4utwo; April 29th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.

Take a look at Coast tac lights

I found this tac light, made by Coast, which is headquartered in Portland. I only paid about $40 for it -- well worth every penny!

Coast Product Details

It uses three AAA batteries, has a momentary or click-on tailcap switch, and puts out 160 lumens! And . . . lasts more than 100 hours on a set of batteries. Incredible.

As a professional in the field of safety and security, I carry this light every day, and a spare set of shrink-wrapped batteries. Should we ever have the "big one" in Seattle (earthquake), I'm ready for four days of search and rescue. Or, many, many days of shooting bad guys in the dark!

Take a look at these lights -- I can't recommend them highly enough.

On a whim I picked up these two at Sams Club lst week. I know they can't live up to the ad but they are much brighter than I expected. I have no idea about the durability and battery life but I paid $26 for the two and don't feel cheated at all so far.

Sam's Club - Elementâ„¢ Super Bright L.E.D. Flashlight - 2ct

Does anyone else have any experience with them? They may not be 150 lumens but are the brightest flashlight I have ever seen and on 3 AA batteries.

I also have 2 of these lights that I got from Cabelas. They are great for $20. I used them as beater flashlights, and they can take a beating. No problems with mine so far. Am also looking at those that Sam's club specials that FN1910 mentioned, saw them yesterday while there, might have pick a set up for the price.

SY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links