Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light

This is a discussion on Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wandering around WalMart and decided to see what was new in the flashlight section (my weakness). Lo and behold I found a couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Rayovac (No, really!) tactical light

I was wandering around WalMart and decided to see what was new in the flashlight section (my weakness). Lo and behold I found a couple of Rayovac lights (Sportsman Xtreme) that looked surprisingly tactical. The one I purchased was 90 Lumens for just under $25. The other was under $20 at 40 or 45 Lumens. These are sturdy metal with anti-roll cuts, pocket clip, tailcap is twist on or button momentary, OD green, lifetime warranty. I just checked their website and found quite a selection, including a shorter one I wish WM had stocked, but they don't sell them directly. Oops, I did find rayovacdirect.com but they are a little more expensive than WM or other places I found by doing a search. I've never had a Surefire in my hands, but I can't help thinking these would make handy economical substitutes. Check it out!

Rayovac - Outdoor Flashlights
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like it is worth a try. I can always use another light, and the price is tempting!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

What was the battery expectancy on the light you're holding?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    24-36 hours. They have a 3C at 120 lumens.

Also found this 240 lumen aftermarket item for Maglites: Malkoff Devices. Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights, Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights

Those guys on CandlePowerForums are hardcore!
    Last edited by paramedic70002; April 10th, 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: sp
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I bought that same light, I think it cost me about $20. I liked it do to the fact that it takes AA's, its a nice light for the money

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I got one about 3 monthe ago at Wally-World......... I was just looking at the flashlites for one of those .97 cent "cheapo" lites that my 5 yo can have to "help" daddy when "we're" working around the house when I saw that 'lil gem. The package said 80 lumes, 2 AA batterise, LED,.....I had to double check it....well there was only one so I said 'what the heck'. It's a great little lite....very bright. I've carried it around some (augmenting my G2 carry), it's skinny and fits my pocket well, metal, and works on AA batts......pretty good. the Batt time is pretty good too, but only give it about 4-6 hours of 'useable' light vice the 10 or so hours it says on the package.
    Rayovac also has a 60 lume model, but I'm wanting a few more of the 80 lume one's.

Pro's: bright light powered by AA's vice the more expensive lith. 123's., LED.
    Cons: It's Rayovac and ya get what ya get....lower run/batt. time is the worst I'll say about it.....which ain't that bad

My opinion....Get a couple of 'em. They'd be excellent utility lites serving a duel role as a secondary/primary tac light. I'm getting a few more of em' when they get restocked.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have the same light and I have to say, I'm very impressed. It is very bright and seems to be constructed well. The finish scratches kind of easily, but for $25 definitely a good deal.

I use 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables and they seem to last for a very long time. They definitely last a lot longer than alkalines in this light.
    Last edited by Aaron4_6; April 11th, 2008 at 08:19 AM.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Actually, for the 3W it is 2 hours of regulated light. It is not eighty lumens though. I'd guess around 45-55 lumens on regular AA's. Use rechargeables or lithiums and you will see a difference. At least I did. I think that it is one the best buys for the money.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'm always looking for a good bargain in flashlights.

I have one, and they are good lights for the money. I use it as my edc beater light on occasion.

However, they aren't 80 or 90 lumens. They are maybe 50, possibly 60. Although that is still bright for what you get.

On standard akalines, you will get about an hour of continous use for the 3 watt, and about 2.5-3 hours with the 1 watt. With crappy akalines in the 3 watt, you only get about 45 min, and with lithium aas you can get 2 hours. I stoke mine with lithiums.

AND YES, CPF IS THE BOMB
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Looks like a good flashlight for the $$$

I'll have to pick one up next Wal-Mart trip. Thanks for the heads up :)
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

This is the same 3W Luxeon LED light that Caleba's sells for $20. It is also the same 3W light sold in the NRA store (S2 e-Gear) for $40. Other retailers have them rebranded with their own name and sell them typically for $35-$40. $20-$25 is a great buy for a light of this quality.

Rayovac has both a 1W 45 lumens version & a 3W 80 lumens version. You'd be hard pressed to see a substantial difference between the 1W & 3W throw under most applications and the runtime is more than twice as long.

These lights are manufactured by Nuwai which is a company in China that makes these as tactical lights for their police & security forces. They are good quality lights. I'd buy up a few while you can at this price. The word in the flashlight world is that soon China will be raising the price of these lights.

I own two 3W (Cabela's) and two 1W (Rayovac) versions. I've had the Cabela's branded lights for over a year. They have functioned well and compare to my more expensive lights, especially when using NiMH batteries. I now use the low self discharge "LSD" pre-charged NiMH which increases runtime over regular alkalines and the LSD NiMH hold a charge much longer during inactivity over the regular NiMH rechargables.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Man you beat me to it! I was going to post a review on this great little light a few days ago but I just forgot. I have been carrying this light for the last week as my EDC and in addition to my MAG LED 2AA that I carry all the time when I am at work. I am a paramedic and I use my light everyday. I love this little light. If you have a chance, buy this light. Def worth the 25 bucks.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

I will be picking one up on the next wally world trip we make.

Wish I had seen this yesterday as we went food shopping today at wally world. Drat.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I picked up another one of these 3W Luxeon lights at Cabela's on Friday. They had a promo for club card members ($30 off $100 purchase) I picked up a few winter clearance things as well to meet the $100 mark so I basically got this flashlight for free.

The Cabela's version also comes with a belt holster but no batteries. I also noticed that they only had 3 in stock. Last time I checked they had several dozen.

The Rayovac 3W version claims 80 lumens but the Cabela's 3W version claims 65 lumens. Anyone know for sure?

Since I use NiMH rechargeables, I've never used lithiums in this light. Can anyone tell me their runtime using lithiums?
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links