Do you carry an extra clip?

This is a discussion on Do you carry an extra clip? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes ... because I don't own any firearms that even take clips. Heathen! -B...

View Poll Results: Do you carry an extra clip?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I always try to carry an extra clip

129 75.88%
  • No, I never carry an extra clip

41 24.12%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry an extra clip?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ... because I don't own any firearms that even take clips.
    Heathen!

-B

2. Remove Ads

wolves usually travel in packs...

I see a lot of folks here assume they are only gonna be attacked by a lone bad guy and never have a magazine failure. (heck, I wonder why bother even carrying a gun if you're only gonna face a lone bad guy?)

Well... As I've said before, Mr. Murphy is my co-pilot, therefore I always plan for his untimely arrival in any and all of my scenarios.

I carry a BUG and I carry spare ammo for each. For me, I've learned to live with it and it is only rarely a hassle. For the maybe 20 - 25% of the time I only carry one gun, I still carry at least one and usually two reloads.

The last thing I would want to do is get killed because I was only able to stop two of the three scumbags attacking me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I always have an extra mag (sometimes 2-3)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry 10+1 and a spare mag on me, and I keep a 13 round mag in my car. When I have to much to carry in my pockets, the mag comes out first becasue I think my cell phone and knife are more important. I am looking to buy a single mag pouch that will help with that situation though.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I ALWAYS carry at least one spare magazine and if I'm on a trip out of town, I carry several more in the vehicle. I'm a strong believer in the sudden appearance of the evil Mr Murphy. If you're going to need to use that weapon in defense of your life and of those you love, you might have to use it a LOT. Think multiple attackers as in a gang scenario. Of course it might be my training as an infantry officer where the basic load is 200 rounds. In a handgun I don't go that far but if I'm around town with my S&W M642 then it's 5 in the cylinder and one speed loader with five more, in my offside front pocket.

If I'm going heavier then it's a 17rd mag in my Sig P226 and a 20rd backup in the mag holding pocket of my Woolrich Tacticals. Remember a firearm is supposed to be comforting not necessarily "comfortable." Frankly going around with what you have in the gun is I believe the height of foolishness. Do cops do that? If you're going to carry a gun, carry spare ammo ... or a spare gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I carry extra clips for my Garand.
    DANG ya beat me to it!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Always carry 2 spare magazines (and a BUG when I can).

VIP Member
    No, I have a modern weapon and it uses MAGAZINES!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yes, I carry an extra mag for whatever gun I'm wearing, just in case their is a jam or mag problem, it makes for a quicker return to service.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I think you've taken enough heat on the whole "clip" thing now, so I won't go there.

I voted yes, I carry an extra magazine. Or two if it's my .45. That way I always have at least 25 bullets ready to go.

I've heard a really good quote, I don't know who's it is or the exact wording, so I'll paraphrase it.

"I've never heard of anyone that was caught in a gunfight wishing they had fewer bullets."

4myson put it well, with his observation that an untimely blow to the base of a Glock magazine can conceivably bust it and dump contents on ground.
    I've survived 40 below temps. Plastic gets quite brittle that cold.
    I saw a Beretta lose its floor plate one time, with loss of ammo, mag spring and follower. The fault was operator error but it still happened.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

To not carry a reload is kinda dumb...
    I'll remember that! I'd never want to look like a fool. Thanks. Consider me changing my ways.

i have not been carrying an extra mag,but im going to start now. time to start looking at mag holders.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I usually carry an exta clip on me, in a Crossbreed tuckable holseter, works great.I carry a spare clip just in case there's more than one threat, I have 7 rounds of .45 to begin with, but if there's more than one BG or whatever I'd like to know I have another clip. For me , mainly it's just a capacity issue, the way things are today, you never know how many rounds you'll need.

Distinguished Member
    With my P-3at--no, with my other 2-yes.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Thanks for all the ribbing on the “clip” vs magazine thing.

However, I thought a magazine was something like “Playboy” that you read.

Only joking…

My extra mag is the ones made for the Glock 18; Holds 30 rounds of 9 mm, and it works adequately in the Glock 26.

I never carry the extra mag on me but I do keep an extra mag in the center consol of my truck, and driver side storage compartment in the motorhome.

Whenever we leave town, unless we’re flying we always take the motorhome. In it I keep that Glock 18 mag and a couple extra boxes of 9 mm, as well as a rifle and 50 rounds for it.

Before you even say it, I know if I’m caught away from the truck, by a gang, I may be in trouble. But, the way I see it is, I’ll let them decide who gets my first double tap.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links