Night Sights vs. Laser

This is a discussion on Night Sights vs. Laser within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an M&P with stock sights. My local range is dark and I realize the need for new sights. I have heard a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Sights vs. Laser

Night Sights vs. Laser

I have an M&P with stock sights. My local range is dark and I realize the need for new sights. I have heard a lot about people who have lasers and aquire their sight picture faster with their irons over the laser. I would like to hear others opinions about your experience with tritium style night sights vs laser. If you have opinion of combat night sights like XS or Sure Sight, I would love to hear them as well.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Night sights and lasers have two different roles. I wouldnt have a laser on any of my guns... they just are not needed. Night sights can be a nice feature, but I dont think it will help you much on a dark range... you gotta be able to see beyond your pistol. Try a mounted light first, it should solve many issues.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I like night sights w/ the use of a light. I can line up see my sights before lighting up an area. Lasers are o.k. but not really needed IMO.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have and use both. Lasers are not sights in any conventional sense using a laser in conjunction with iron sight is a real bad idea IMO and can cause you to develop some bad habits. Except in training. I also have TFO's fiber optic night sights. The tritium and the fiber optics together assure the dots glow in all lighting conditions from bright daylight to pitch black. They are excellent if you can see the target OK but as Sixto said if you are having a hard time seeing the target get a good flashlight and learn how to use it they are an excellent tool as well. Different tools for different jobs
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My range is setup in a manner where the targets downrange are lit, but they have VERY POOR lighting back at the stalls. I found myself inconsistent in my shooting until I realized, I couldn't FOCUS on the front sight. One day when there was only one other guy on the range, I stepped back about 4 feet from the stall just to be able to get light on my sights. I focused on the front sight and Voila! I shot out the X-ring. I was considering getting a laser but a set of XS Tritium Big Dots have entered the picture and thus the reason I am asking questions. Thanks for y'alls help and keep it coming.

Administrator
    Just get a front night sight, such as a big dot. You're asking for a lot of bad habits using a laser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just get a front night sight, such as a big dot. You're asking for a lot of bad habits using a laser.
    Not if they are used properly. I know we will never agree on this, unless you change your mind, had to say it anyway it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I only have one gun with laser sights (SIG 229), my other carry weapons have night sights. Lasers are great in a home defense situation where it's dark and quick, accurate target acquisition is a must. For most other applications they are lacking.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

It really discourages me when the answer to someones querry on lasers is just a quick "No you don't need them; or they are usless and will give you bad habits.]
    Each of us has different needs and should make our decisions based on those needs. I am older, 60 years on me now. The sights do not look as crisp as they did when I was 50, or 40 or 20. I do not wear corrective lenses. There are times when the light simply does not support a good sight picture for me.
    My CT laser is indenspensable for me. If need be, I can fire accuratly from the hip or without sights if need be. I can aim with the laser as soon as my pistol leaves my holster.
    I can accuratly hold my postol on one person while addressing another. Off hand firing is so much easier.
    People hang all kinds of things on their pistosl, I suggest a laser may be one of the most important.
    Just as I would not be without night sights, I would also not be without a laser on my defensive hand gun.

I would go for the night sights first, add a laser later if that suit's your fancy.

Laser's don't bother me. I've found them to help a great deal in long-range low-light scenarios. Up close neither the laser nor the sights get much of my attention, and at mid range, even in low light, you can keep the front sight and the target relatively focused. I have a hard time focusing on the target and the front sight at range, so the laser is handy for a careful shot out past 50 yards.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I chose to add a laser first primarily for it's training benefits. I'm still new at this and trying to climb the learning curve as fast as my time and money allows.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill chime in with my opinion for what its worth ( not a lot lol ) and state this....

Put a " nightsight " front only , or heck even buy some of the cheap glow in the dark paint for a test . Anyway do the front sight only first and try it in the dark . This will give you an idea about what " night sights " are about , and where they are usefull . For myself i can get by fine with the front sight alone night sited but then i select hangguns to a large part about how they index for me . If i had a glock it would shoot 4 to 6" high at 15 yards , so i dont shoot them. Nor do i shoot a 1911 with a large mainspring housing . Point is i want a pistol that when i am ready to fire points where my index finger does , neither left nor right , up nor down , rather right where i point . oO( Brownie , QK , and some others will have a field day with me over this lol ) . However that is how a pistol needs to fit YOU, it should be literally like pointing your finger . Ideally you should need neither night sights nor a laser i can do fine without either but like the glow sights as a crutch . IMHO both will help you shoot better as a training tool but neither will make any difference in a gunfight , unless of course you wait to see the dot , then you loose .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've tried 'glow paint' and it seems worthless to me.
    My .45's and 9mm's all have night sights...and I really like them. In a dark situation with 'adjusted eyes' you'll be surprised how accurate you can be on a dark target.
    These 60 year old eyes very much appreciate the Trij's and Meps...I have several of each.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Talking

Love my laser grips!
    Wouldn't be without!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I've got night sights on my Sig but when I go to bed I put a M-6 flashlight/laser on my Sig so that I can better identify what ever is making those bump in the night noises. I always worried about one of the family up at night and heard stories about people shooting loved ones. I can't imagine what that would do to a person and never want to have to deal with it. With the bright light and the laser sighted in for 15 yards I know exactly where I'm going to hit at that range. I also know what my target is. I don't carry the M-6 on my Sig for CCW but it is handy at dark O'clock in the morning. It also works great on feral cats, dogs, skunks and opossums.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links