PistolCam Would You Hang A Video Camera On Your Carry?

This is a discussion on PistolCam Would You Hang A Video Camera On Your Carry? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stupid product... (how long is it going to be before we hear the leftists adding this to the list along with ballistic fingerprinting and micro-stamping ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PistolCam Would You Hang A Video Camera On Your Carry?

Stupid product...

(how long is it going to be before we hear the leftists adding this to the list along with ballistic fingerprinting and micro-stamping as ways to crack down on crime )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

NO!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

On the surface, I think it sounds interesting. Trouble is, there is far, far too much that can go wrong. Witness the idiocy surrounding the past several generations believing that if it's written then it must be true. We're in the if-in-video-it-must-be-true age, now. Until the intelligence of humanity improves to the point where information can be digested within context, I think the potential for abuse of such things far outweighs the potential benefits. Beyond that, the corrupted "authority" figures in seats of power, now, while those seats hold power beyond belief over our security and future, present a threat of (near certain) abuse that cannot be ignored.

Interesting point: What about the 5th Amendment protections against self-incrimination? If you're carrying your own camera and something goes wrong, will such evidence be able to be withheld if it's in a format that's so easily retrievable by those seeking to hang you by your toenails? If once divulged, even against your will, can the unwashed see it as a snippet and not the full story? (I don't think the wad is able, but that's just a personal observation.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As a civilian, it's my opinion that LEO's should have a video camera that's on all day and captures audio/video of everything they do. Yeah, if they gotta take a dump, turn it off, but otherwise, it's on. Cameras and mega-memory modules are dirt cheap nowadays, so cost shouldn't be an issue.

This would stop virtually ALL of the "he said, she said" courtroom arguments that almost always develop after a serious incident takes place. This would help keep LEO's honest (which is good for the citizenry) and I gotta absolutely think this would be a HUGE help in settling most cases quickly and efficiently (which would be good for the LEO's).
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

How about a camera for civilians and police showing everything done all day at work and at home, just to make sure everything was done correctly? That way there could never be any arguments about anything, and no domestic arguments, you could just switch on REPLAY on your pers-cam and show it to your spouse, like instant replay at a football game. This could really catch on, and kids could wear play-cams at school to identify bullies and, well, show any bad bad teacher misconduct, and from the age of walking, this would completely eliminate any secret conversations or moves, as someone would monitor this stuff all the time and it would be great.
    And yes, LEOS would be kept honest, and why turn if off during taking a dump, as you said. Leave it on. You can never tell what the LEO might be talking about with his buddy in the next stall ,and this could be reviewed later to see if he said the right things etc.
    Last edited by dcb188; May 17th, 2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typos
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    How about a camera for civilians and police showing everything done all day at work and at home, just to make sure everything was done correctly? ..........
    LEO's should be documenting everything they do that pertains to the job. End of story.

I don't give one stinkin' whit what they do on their free time. Additionally, I don't care about neighbors yelling at their spouses. However, when a LEO pulls someone over, that civilian is completely and totally at their mercy. The LEO can arrest, beat, shoot, or seemingly do just about anything and get away with it. LEO's know how to work the system to avoid prosecution. They have more power than God at that moment.

Accurate documentation of an ON-DUTY LEO's interactions with the public should be mandatory.

They have the dash cams already, but not all depts have them. I agree that they should have those. But guns with cams on them, I disagree with.
    Don't you think there are already a lot of safeguards in place re LEOS right now?
    They need the authority in order to deal with the various elements of our society.
    I firmly believe that the vast majority of law enforcement officers do their jobs fairly and considerately. There are no more bad apples in police work than, say, accounting, or any other profession. Same usual 10 percent, as our DIs always told us at Parris Island. They used to say There will always be that ten percent, people, and I now know what they meant. So I don't think the percentage of bad cops is higher than the percentage of bad people in any other profession, do you?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    They have the dash cams already, but not all depts have them. I agree that they should have those. But guns with cams on them, I disagree with.
    Don't you think there are already a lot of safeguards in place re LEOS right now?
    They need the authority in order to deal with the various elements of our society.
    I firmly believe that the vast majority of law enforcement officers do their jobs fairly and considerately. There are no more bad apples in police work than, say, accounting, or any other profession. Same usual 10 percent, as our DIs always told us at Parris Island. They used to say There will always be that ten percent, people, and I now know what they meant. So I don't think the percentage of bad cops is higher than the percentage of bad people in any other profession, do you?

Man, I agree 1,000% with this entire post.

The problem is this - on any given day, if you have a serious problem, you might have to deal with one of the "bad apples". Do you really want to take a chance and let those "bad apples" continue to do whatever they please, with no repercussions?

I love this country and the rule of law. The USA is a fabulous place. When it comes to applying said laws - it's the human error and the "bad apples" that I don't like.

I see what you mean.
    Do you think it is more than 10%? i.e. bad apples doing police work?
    That is a very good question, IF I ended up with one bad apple, who would folks believe???
    But still, I am more pro-police than a lot of police. But I do see your point and when you put it like that, I WOULD want some evidence on my side.....but...

Administrator
    Here is why I think its the dumbest idea I've heard of in a long time. This opinion is based 100% on experience with a very similar product, not speculation or what ifs.

A gun battle happens quick... rarely does a pistol come out in time to film the entire event, it will just record a few of the very last seconds of the incident. Also, I doubt the camera will be on and recording the instant the gun is drawn, but even it it is, it cannot tell the entire story that lead up to the event. It will only give a very narrow and short account of a very long story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And, in my opinion, you don't want officers focusing on gee what is this camera going to show later, when he or she should be focused only on the task at hand. This second guessing of police can go a little too far, so the gun cams are out. I think the dash cams are fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links