Check out this pistol safe...anybody tried it?

This is a discussion on Check out this pistol safe...anybody tried it? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this on the walmart site. I have been looking for a new pistol safe that I can bolt down. Price and reviews look good. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this pistol safe...anybody tried it?

Check out this pistol safe...anybody tried it?

Saw this on the walmart site. I have been looking for a new pistol safe that I can bolt down. Price and reviews look good. Anybody seen them or own one?

Walmart.com : DAC SportSafe Portable Gun Safe : Hunting
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I looked at several different models of approximately that form factor. I eventually settled for the "in car safe." Center Of Mass Central. I bought two. One for our travel vehicle and one for my home office when my grandkids visit. The home office one is also used when I fly with my handgun.

I originally bought the "Secure-It" brand, but the COM is nice because you can order more than one keyed the same.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member
    I own one and have no real complaints.

It opens quickly to enable access to what is stored inside. There is a removable plastic shelf to permit storage of two guns. The light is not significant, but does allow you to see in the safe.

When storing two guns, I cannot grasp the grip of either to pull it from the safe. I have to "rake" or "hook" the grip with a finger to move it out of the safe to obtain a firing grip. If I removed the shelf and only put one gun in the safe, I imagine that I could get a firing grip.

We keep the safe the floor near the bed. This is backup for my wife to access. I have another handgun and spare mags on the nightstand for instant access.

It is bulky and heavy. I never take it when I travel.

Looks pretty handy...if I were a criminal. Wouldn't even have to pack up the guns, just take the whole thing...a few bolts to the floor isn't going to keep it stationary.

OMO, but I believe in my 800#'er...even that isn't foolproof...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Those aren't safes, they're locking storage boxes.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Those aren't safes, they're locking storage boxes.
    It would keep a pistol "safe" from my child or children in my home as compared with leaving it in a drawer and allow me quick access at night. I know even bolted down it could be stolen...but let's face it...if a criminal wants something bad enough and there is nobody there to stop him what's to stop him anyway?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    It would keep a pistol "safe" from my child or children in my home as compared with leaving it in a drawer and allow me quick access at night.
    Exactly, and is the exact reason why I have one bolted to the floor of my master bedroom closet. To that end-and Husker's definition-it works well enough.

The baseplate is what gets bolted down as a seperate unit to the safe portion. Then, smaller...hardened steel "spreading bolts" (for lack of a better term) on the baseplate poke up through holes the safe and it's locked down from the inside. These aren't terribly stout using thier size as a visual indicator, but it does work anyway and seems relatively secure. (The good thing here is that one could replace these and put in some "real" bolts/stouter hardware easily enough if you wanted to. I have not.)

It's does exactly what I need it to do and I do not regret the purchase FWIW.

C-

B52
    I have one not that brand mine is made by Winchester. I love it, I just move it to whatever room I am in and don't have to worry as much about little hands (my three kids) getting into harm.

I have 2 of those boxes. They are adequate for what I require of them. Both hold 2 weapons with a reload for just in case. I have one next to my bed opened at nite for instant access, and they are closed up during the day when I am not at home. Primarily they are for when I have small children running around the home, just a way to keep the curiosity of a firearm away from them.

As much as I hate to say it, Wally mart has the best prices on these, cheaper with tax and delivery than what I bought the first one for.

They open very fast when you input the code(~1 sec). Probably the first thing you will do is disable the tone when pressing your code in(very loud). They run on 8 AA batteries with an option to plug in AC power(not included). I use the batteries only, I just changed mine out after 7 months of daily use, but those were the cheapie ones that were included in the package.

These were perfect for what I wanted. Hope that helps.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9 View Post
    It would keep a pistol "safe" from my child or children in my home as compared with leaving it in a drawer and allow me quick access at night. I know even bolted down it could be stolen...but let's face it...if a criminal wants something bad enough and there is nobody there to stop him what's to stop him anyway?
    Same reasoning I used when I bought mine (it was also on sale!!). With a second baseplate, I can also put it in my camper.

Bought one of these from Gander Mountain for $69.00. Not a bad lock box to keep by the bed. Electronic opening is quick, and also has key entry. Foam lined and easily holds one handgun and several mags.

ADG Sports 33018 - Secure Vault Electronic Top Load Vault

Seems to me that it would be far better than a glove compartment or console when must leave my gun in my car.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

those are very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Seems to me that it would be far better than a glove compartment or console when must leave my gun in my car.
    I've thought the same thing. Bolt it down, it should work well.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have two of a slightly different variation, strictly for small child control. They work great for that. I believe a large part of their success is attibuted to the fact that I keep a close eye on my children and don't allow enough time for them to figure the lockboxes out.

My oldest just turned 3, and I am starting to introduce her to the rules of the weapons in the house. When both are old enough to trust, then I will go away from the lock boxes.

The key to choosing your lockbox is choosing one that meets the criteria of where you are going to place it. For my wife and I, we have front loaders because of the design of our nightstands. The front loaders enable us quick access should we need them, whereas a top loader would be an extreme hinderance. I also chose a simple 4 button design that I could operate with one hand, and I believe a spring loaded door is a must because it elimanates additional motor skills to access my gun at 3 am when I am bleary eyed and my arm or hand may be asleep from laying in a bad posistion.

I have no illusions about them being burglar proof. They aren't, other than the fact that the bad guy can't immediately access my pistol.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links