Bezel Up or Bezel Down?

This is a discussion on Bezel Up or Bezel Down? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know what the terms mean obviously, but what's the practicaly difference? Why one over the other? I'm have a Surefire G2 and a V70 ...

Thread: Bezel Up or Bezel Down?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

Bezel Up or Bezel Down?

I know what the terms mean obviously, but what's the practicaly difference? Why one over the other?

I'm have a Surefire G2 and a V70 on the way to carry it in. It looks like bezel up would keep it from accidentally being turned on, but would leave the lens open to being broken. Bezel down seems like it would protect the lens better, but it also seems to me that it would likely that the tailcap could be depressed, or the whole thing twisted on while sitting, and I wouldn't be the wiser until I went to use my light with no charge in it...

So, what do you guys do and why?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Depends on the light and how I carry it, really. If I clip the E2DL in my pocket... the clip only lets me carry bezel up. However, if I switch to the regular E series clickie tailcap instead of the defender one, I can carry it in my mag/flashlight combo pouch that Nate made me... bezel up. When I carry my Fenix P3D-CE in the same pouch, it's bezel down, because the lanyard would prevent it from being carried bezel up.

I really don't see any rhyme or reason to either way, it's just how they fit and are carried. If you're really worried about having one way or the other, keep your G2 on the nightstand and buy a Surefire E1B with the 2 way clip.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about the G2 necessarily, it's just that I've never carried a light and these are issues that sprang to mind. What I'm wondering is whether they really are issues, or if I'm just overthinking this? I figured there were enough people here that someone would be carrying a G2 and would be able to answer the questions specific to that light. I also didn't know if there was a prefered way to carry a light for use by the weak side hand (is it easier to deploy/use if it's carried one way or the other)?

Again, not worried, just looking for advice and info since I've never done this before.

BTW, I'm jealous that you're a Dunkie Junkie... there's not a convenient one in sight since moving to DFW... I miss my extra large coffee, double cream, double sugar...

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    BTW, I'm jealous that you're a Dunkie Junkie... there's not a convenient one in sight since moving to DFW... I miss my extra large coffee, double cream, double sugar...
    There is one on Centerville Rd and Saturn just off LBJ in Garland.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I appreciate the tip Reborn... unfortunately it's not on the way to work (when I really NEED that coffee), that said, I'll have to make the pilgrimage at some point!

My G2 gets carried bezel up on my flak jacket. I don't really reccomend that one for pocket carry because it doesn't have a tail-cap lockout like my 6pLED, and trust me, if your g2 comes on in your pocket within a few minutes there with be a sensation of heat in the pocket, and you will be aware of it before it kills the batteries.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yeah, I've got enough crap in my pockets without adding a light or gun stuff... So I'm belt mounted all the way... plus I don't like sharp-pokey things or hot-burny things that close to the twins and their big brother...

So, no problems with the 6P's lens being kept bezel up? I'm sure they're built to withstand abuse, I just don't have a lot of experience here.

Also, if it's on the belt and bezel up, is there a place that's better than another to keep it so that I don't have to pull it out and then turn it over? Say, 7 o'clock versus 11?

Well, for belt carry I would go with bezel down, since your grip on it would already be correct, with thumb on the tail-switch, and the shiny end coming out of the bottom of your hand if that makes sense, like a fist with the flashlight in the middle.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

That does make sense to me, I was just worried about the light randomly turning on if I carried it that way. To clarify though, the 6P has a tailcap lockout of some sort?

I was thinking about getting a 6p as well and carrying one, while mounting the other to my HD rifle... Maybe I'll do that sooner than I thought... Now to convince the wife that I really do need 2 "ridiculously priced flashlights"... lol

The 6P has what Surefire calls a "switch lockout" simply meaning there is a notch that on the second twist up from continuously on, the button can not be depressed far enough to turn the light on, from that position it is under one complete turn down on the tail end and the light can be turned on, so you need to manipulate the light slightly to get it to turn on.

But sitting here fiddling with mine it can be done quickly and easily with the thumb and index finger while still being held properly.

EDIT: If you are going to get a 6P, I highly reccomend the LED version
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I say what ever works best for you. I personally carry my 6PL in my pocket bezel up. But that's only because it's easier for me to get to it that way and I don't like having much on my belt. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    EDIT: If you are going to get a 6P, I highly reccomend the LED version
    What he said! I LOVE my 6PL!! The run time on it is great! I like my 6PL so much that I bought a second and mounted one on my AR!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BAC
    Whatever you are good with, and whatever decision you make remember to train with. A bezel does you no good if you're not practicing how to use it, and only through experimenting and practicing are you going to figure out what works best.

-B

I carry a G2 bezel up in a magazine/flashlight combo pouch. The bottom is open. I wear it everyday, in and out of cars etc. It's never turned on and I've never damaged a lens. I can see where bezel-down would make for more rapid deployment though.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

As others have mentioned, it really depends upon where you carry it.

If on a belt, and somewhere between the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions, bezel down carry will put your arm and wrist in a 'strong' position to draw it from the case and also cause the thumb to be positioned over the tail switch.

If on a belt, and between the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, bezel up carry will allow the hand to rotate in such a manner so the thumb is at the same end as the tail switch when the light is drawn from the case.

Think about it from a 'body mechanics' standpoint. You are 'strong' with either one of these and there's no rotating of the light required (read: fumbling) once you have a grip on it.

Perhaps more important, or at least equally important, is to carry the light in the same place on the body and in the same orientation all the time. You want consistency with respect to the location of your equipment.

Randy

Bezel up here...no specific reason...but I can quickly retrieve it and bring it into use without thinking much about it. (Either clipped to the pocket, or in a belt clip case...bezel up.)

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links