Moving a safe, how many friends to bribe?

This is a discussion on Moving a safe, how many friends to bribe? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great topic huh? I'll be buying the gun safe below that is around 600 pounds. Any advice on getting up a set of 5 step ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a safe, how many friends to bribe?

Moving a safe, how many friends to bribe?

Great topic huh? I'll be buying the gun safe below that is around 600 pounds. Any advice on getting up a set of 5 step stairs and how many buddies to invite over?

I was thinking about a refrigerator dolly and some 2x10's to get it up the steps but figured I'd solicit advice here as well.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I used to work as a professional mover, so I'll throw in my 0.02 for ya.

A fridge dolly is probably the best way to go, depending on how narrow the stairway is you wouldn't be able to get enough guys around it to hold it up, at least one or two on each end of the safe, depending on how big each of the guys is. With a proper fridge dolly you shouldn't need the 2x10, they have tracks on the back, and you can just pull it up using those one step at a time.

I'd say make sure you have plenty of beer iced down and pizza on the way for when its done too.

However, depending on where you are having it bought from, most places offer delivery services, and it really might be worth a few bucks to have it delivered as opposed to all the hassle and possible problems you could encounter doing it.

Aside from actually getting it up the stairs and set up you have to consider transpo too, I assume you will probably be using a pick up, which it could be a pain to get out of without damaging the truck or yourselves.

Just my thoughts on the issue, can you and 5 other guys get it done, sure, but its easier to pay the guys who do it for a living.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A good sturdy 2 wheel hand truck (dolly) is all the equipment that's necessary. An appliance dolly with strap would only be necessary if the steps were so steep that the center of gravity could not be balanced over the axle. It is surprisingly easy to move on level ground when you have it balanced.

At least 1 or 2 additional people to lift it one step at a time. Do not make a ramp using boards, lift the safe and dolly 1 step at a time.

Except for coming through the doorway (over the threshold) I moved my 550 lb safe by myself and a 2 wheel dolly. I had my son help lift over the threshold.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

tell them it's full of beer and you can't open it til it is in the room and set up at that time you will receive a phone call from you're wife with the combination
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Be careful if you're going across tile, you might want to lay a sheet of plywood down. I found out the hard way, but my safe was heavier than yours.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

There are some things that I do with my checkbook. Cleaning out the gutters is one.......moving 600 pound safes is another.

For not much more than the price of the beer and pizzas your buddies will go through, you can have someone who knows what they're doing (and is insured) do it for you.

i got the BF 6032

an i had the guy put it in he had a auto dolly that the wheels lifted
    up and down it was pretty neat.. and he had some corners and a closet
    to put it in, the closet was 30 3/4 wide and safe was 30in so it was a tight fit he used1x1 metal bars to slide it into the closet oh it was 1 guy doing it

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

For not much more than the price of the beer and pizzas your buddies will go through, you can have someone who knows what they're doing (and is insured) do it for you.
    +1
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Go rent yourself a battery powered hand truck with tracks on the back for stairs and get a set of ramps for your truck. A one man job basically.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

As many as you can! I had my 550lb gun safe fall on me as me and my buddy were moving it. It was hot and we were dead tired as we had already moved everything else since the safe was the last thing off of the trailer and the first thing on. We were wrestling it through the door on the dolly over about a 3"-4" ledge when I lost my balance and my buddy couldn't stop it. The safe, along with the dolly landed on me. It's been over a month now and my knee is still messed up from it. So like I said... As many as you can get to help you!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The pro movers are cheaper then a medical bill if sonthing goes wrong. I would bite the bullet and pay a mover.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The pro movers are cheaper then a medical bill if sonthing goes wrong. I would bite the bullet and pay a mover.
    That is my plan next time!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok, my .02 cents now. Take my advice and have the guys your purchased it from deliver it, install it, and bolt it down. I not only went this way when mine was new, but also when I had it moved to another room. It is well worth the cost.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    That's the answer...

Distinguished Member
    Mine weighs around 725 lbs. , I had a good hand-truck , it flipped over going up the steps and once I got it to the door I had to handle it myself , when they tilted it back to me it was to much for me to hold up on a hand-truck by myself and I have never been called weak. I would pay someone to move it next time. I had 3 people helping me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links