Defensive Carry banner

What do you think of this vest?

6K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  Ridgeline 
#1 ·
I'm curious what people think of the appearance of this vest. Does it look like it would conceal a gun or does it look more low profile? I'm looking for a nice summer cover garment and I tend to like vests. I don't like the fisherman vests but this one looks alot better to me.

See less See more
#6 ·
I have a tendancy to carry a lot of odds and ends, not enough pockets for me. They don't look to bad but could be a little longer. For summer wear I like the old Eddie Bauer vest, it has mesh under arms for air flow and is cooler. The last vest at Eddie Bauer was different, not as good. I like vest but am picky .

#15 ·
See Israeli Shabak...better than a vest...plenty of pockets...NOT a vest...great cover garment...OMO

#16 ·
I like them, can you post a link? vest are very common in MT. I wear a vest allot and never had so much as a second glance. these look very nice, I am in the market for another.

#23 ·

With the glasses, ear bud and tan color coordinating, this guy screams "I'm an armed body guard" (or at least I would like people to think I am). Hey, he kinda looks like the actor Shia LaBeouf.

I think most ordinary citizens would be captivated enough by this guys massive cowlick that they would not be able to focus anything else, including his big 'red' vest. Dang, it looks like a tail of something hanging out over his forehead! Or possibly the hand of some Dr. Suess creature. Captivating and creepy!

Seriously, I would not wear a vest in Arizona, unless they were shooting a western and I could blend in like an extra.

#27 ·
"What do you think of this vest?"

If your not dressed the part of a IPSC competitor, contractor, or what you think a special agent looks like, and you live in an area where people wear vests, than those vests will probably serve you well in helping conceal the fact that you have a gun.

#28 ·
I like it and heck yeah, it'll conceal and IWB holster with ease and maybe even an OWB holster too.

I use this one in the summer:

#31 ·
I couldn't help but think of this post from Fed_wif_a_Sig...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...lsters-carry-options/49964-screaming-gun.html

Screaming Gun

Well it's been a while since I've been able to visit these pages, with high work load and so many things going on at home (like becoming a new grandpa for the first time), but an incident happened yesterday that cements the warnings many say about using a fanny pack as a way to carry a weapon.

A couple weeks ago, I was injured (again) at work, and as such my right (primary/dominant) hand is now casted from the armpit to palm. Pretty much rendering my right hand useless for weapon handling.

Still needing to carry (duh) and not having ordered a left hand holster for my new duty weapon (yet - and that was a stupid mistake), I threw my gear into my "gym" carry bag, a well designed fanny pack that doesn't even look like the typical gun bag and setting it up for left hand draw. Having practiced with my "weak" hand extensively and even qualifying with it as the primary in the past, I was confident in my ability just didn't have a good means to carry it.

My truck needed its oil changed, and so off to the local quick oil change shop because changing my own with one hand didn't sound like, either a smart or fun thing to do.

Much to my surprise, this shop is one that is a re-hab facility for recently released con's to put them back into society. No sooner did I get out of my truck, when three of them asked, "What type of gun you carrying?". Now I don't wear cop shirts, no cop markings on my truck and the only thing that stood out from their dress (including the same jeans, boots and tattoo showing past t-shirt dress) was the fanny pack.

I asked them each why they thought I was carrying a gun, and each said ..... man carrying a fanny pack in Texas? It has to be a gun. I went into my alter ego that I use frequently during work hours and we fast talked while they worked about the "training" they received in prison, and due to the high volume of concealed carry permits in Texas, a subject they discussed frequently was how to spot weapons on people to avoid them as the risk is to high. (NOTE: The all three said the second most identifiable sign is a photographer vest...something even professional photographers in Texas don't wear).

So the next time you sling that fanny pack around your waist and head out believing no one realizes your packing, know this. Three groups of people will know. Cops, Folks who carry concealed a lot and the hard core convicts.
Context is everything. If people where you are wear vests, you probably won't scream "gun." If not....

In FL, a t-shirt under an open Hawaiian shirt, and you're not likely to get a second look.

Vest? "Gun!"

Fanny pack? Probably not, unless you look like a tourist (white socks with sandals, lobster red legs and arms, touristy-type t-shirts). (Does anyone know if it's still tourist season?)

YMMV and YAMV (your area may vary).

#33 ·
I think that if you like the look, go for it. I have several Scott-e-Vest products (vests, jackets, fleece, etc)... I like them, they are functional and if the temperature is appropriate I wear them. I also have a few of Columbia's vests too. I wore vests (and fanny packs) long before CCW was common place and I believe that the general public wouldn't think or look twice. The only people who would think "gun" are gun people or maybe LEOs. And who cares what they think. I wear a vest for reasons other than CCW since my EDC is usually in a pocket holster.

I say wear whatever is comfortable and suits your lifestyle or personal preferences. If you are not comfortable, you will not look comfortable and that is much more noticeable. Whether it be vest, fanny pack, fruity hawiian shirts, 511 duds, big floppy tees or unbuttoned-untucked over shirts, wear what fits for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.