Concealed body armor

Concealed body armor

This is a discussion on Concealed body armor within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just started to work undercover. I can't use my bulky vest that I had while patroling. I'm looking for the thinnest and lighest body ...

Thread: Concealed body armor

Concealed body armor

I'm just started to work undercover. I can't use my bulky vest that I had while patroling. I'm looking for the thinnest and lighest body armor available. Do you all have any suggestions?

It must offer protection against all 9mm ammunition and have stab protection.

Any ideas?

ive heard good things about Platinum AA302 Series undercover armor. comfortable and low visibility. not sure on the getting stuck with a knife part though.
    there is also the thinblue model
    Thin Blue Line :: First Choice Armor
    dont know much about it but seems good
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Sig,

A client of my company is Armorshield LLC which is a wholly owned subsdiary of US Cavalry.
    They provide just such a product called the 'Couger' under their 'Covert Armor' line. It supports add-on drop-in ceramic plates for high velocity and rifle round protection as well. All designed for undercover concealed under clothing coverage.

COUGAR™

I have not directly seen this product under go testing nor have I worn it yet so I cannot speak to it's capabilities or comfort as by intent of application.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The ABA extreme is one of the lightest/thinest vests available. But.... it has some of the laminated materials in it. These have less that acceptable performance against contact shots. The US Armor classic is an all aramid type vest that offers the best balance of protection and comfort.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    You work "undercover" and want to wear a vest? Wow... a new one on me. That would be a death sentence here in the states.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You work "undercover" and want to wear a vest? Wow... a new one on me. That would be a death sentence here in the states.
    Not if you have one of them undercover badges, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Any thoughts on used lightweight body armor for civilians? I suppose there are increasing levels of protection. Would the less protective level of armor be worthwhile? How is the comfort level of the lightweight stuff. (I used to wear a vest in the service 40 years ago.)

Senior Moderator
    THe newer IIIA vests are lighter and more flxible than the older IIA vests.

Police generally wear the IIA, but in the last few years some have been upgrading to the IIIA.

I am curently using a IIIA that is lighter and thinner than my old IIA.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm unaware of any vest meeting the perameters you describe. Basically, even with today's advancements in vest technology, and despite what the marketers might have you believe, unless you're hiding it under the right kind of clothing, even with "the right build," vests get noticed. Especially by folks looking for them at across the room distances. If your life depends on that not happening, do not fool yourself. It will happen.
    God, country, family.

That said, II and IIIa vests have advanced enough so that adequately sized, appropriate clothing, can help conceal them to the point that they shouldn't get noticed at "across the street" and "down the hallway" distances.

Which is why it is common for the UC to not be able to have a vest on, where as "the calvary" may be able to pull it off.

But... You still want it and can pull it off? I'd try on level II and IIIa vests until I found the one that fit best under what I expected to be wearing. Different carriers fit different people... differently. Bring a friend who knows what to look for, and subject yourself to the type of scrutiny a criminal with a gun in his hand will be giving you.

Note: A person's build and how they carry themselves can make a big difference. I know folks that just can't pull off a natural look in a vest, no matter how hard they try.
    Last edited by Erik; May 31st, 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sorry, my bad. My english isn't 100% perfect. I mean that I'm going to work in plain clothes, not in uniform anymore. And I'm looking for light and thin body armor to wear under a sweater or a t-shirt.

Also, if you can give some suggestions on good concealed holsters, baton holder etc. I prefer to wear them on the belt rather than on a vest or in pockets. I have heard about pancake holsters and inside pants holsters. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post
    Sorry, my bad. My english isn't 100% perfect. I mean that I'm going to work in plain clothes, not in uniform anymore. And I'm looking for light and thin body armor to wear under a sweater or a t-shirt.

Also, if you can give some suggestions on good concealed holsters, baton holder etc. I prefer to wear them on the belt rather than on a vest or in pockets. I have heard about pancake holsters and inside pants holsters. Any suggestions?
    Sure, I can help you... are you going to be working an "old clothes" assignment, or will you be wearing more of a business type clothing?

What kind of assignment will you be working?

Here in the states, we typically don't carry full much when working plain clothes, undercover assignments might not even carry a pistol... it just depends.

I liked to carry my P228 in a CompTac Infidel, along with a spare mag. If I needed them, I'd carry a set of cuffs in my back pocket, and thats about it. I typically had SWAT or other arrest teams ready to swoop in though if that was the goal of the day.

For the body armor, I never wear one working plain clothes, I just tossed on a raid vest if things were looking to go south... in my mind, a vest defeats the purpose of plain clothes.

I just got a ABA 2A, it does conceal well under regular clothing, but you can forget about it if you just are wearing T-shirt. I don't know of anything that will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe someone can help me out here, but I didn't think the soft vests (such as the OP was referring to) could protect against stabbing knife attacks. I know mine can't (Level IIIA).

I just looked into it, and I guess I just answered my own question.
    Body Armor Levels

"Soft body armor is not designed to protect against rifle rounds or edged or pointed weapons." (In the green box, about 2/3 of the way down.)

Quote Originally Posted by chester1006 View Post
    Maybe someone can help me out here, but I didn't think the soft vests (such as the OP was referring to) could protect against stabbing knife attacks. I know mine can't (Level IIIA).

I just looked into it, and I guess I just answered my own question.
    Body Armor Levels

"Soft body armor is not designed to protect against rifle rounds or edged or pointed weapons." (In the green box, about 2/3 of the way down.)
    Buy some dual threat armor. Stab armor is flexible and made out of the same stuff as ballistics armor, just a tighter weave. But the weaving process typically makes it so that it cannot provide ballistic protection. But there are companies that have gotten around that and make a dual threat armor. Best stuff out there, but pricey. Usually rated at level III(ballistic)/II(stab).

Also in regards to rifle rounds, you need hard plating for that on all armor.

Sponsored Links