Surefire options? - Page 2

Surefire options?

This is a discussion on Surefire options? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo I think it would be cheaper if I was addicted to crack instead of flashlights I once spent $850 on a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire options?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    I think it would be cheaper if I was addicted to crack instead of flashlights
    I once spent $850 on a custom bamboo flyrod and another $200 for the reel. The only difference between men and boys .... As for the added bezel diameter, this would be positioned behind/counter clockwise from a 6 round speedloader so hopefully it won't be an issue.

A lot of good options to consider here: LED conversions, GG&G TID bezel (although I think that's an either/or decision), E series upgrade, carry options... I'm going to have more invested in my light than I do in my gun.
    Jack

I got a Z2 after getting a 9P. I love the Z2. I'm addicted to shooting it with my USP with the Surefire/Rogers technique.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I want to try these guys, next payday, or so. I've read a couple of good reviews:
    www.lighthound.com
    Go to "Flashlights" -> by "Brand" -> "Vital Gear" It offers a make-it-yourself body/head combo that is compatible (and supposedly) very comparable to SureFire.

VIP Member
    If I remember correctly, installing the GG&G head on a light turns it into an "impact weapon" and laws on that probably vary by state. I don't recall what TN says about impact weapons (and I'm too lazy to look it up right now), so be warned if you decide to get it! (I use my E2E without the impact head.)
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty, the scallops on the E2E are for heat dispersal, so you won't damage the surface you put the light on.
    Just look at the head. CAUTION: HOT SURFACE.

LOL Kobun.

So thats whost those scallops are for.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

VIP Member
    Actually, my E2E doesn't have the scallops. I have the "Type III Hard Anodized" model with the anti-roll bezel.

That little light got so toasty the outide of my thick leather purse was hot.

image ©Surefire
    Attached Images
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Kobun
    the scallops on the E2E
    :theyareon Wow, am I embarrassed! Of course I ment the E2D...
    Should have checked my back pocket.

Or you can say the scallops are for map reading. The beam is too bright to read a map at night, but if you hold the head onto the map, and let the light shine out through the openings, you can look at the map without blinding yourself.
    This is a easy thing to prove to a cop/airport security. Show how easy it is to read from a piece of paper, and then shine the light into his eyes.
    "See, I told you it was too bright to read a map by!" :smilegrin

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The A2 Aviator ought to solve an old axiom of pilots which says that "Flashlights are tubular containers for storing dead batteries."
    One thing I did was to have on my anual inspection was to replace the batteries in the flashlights. Everytime I went to use them they worked. Just takes a checklist and following it.

Now with these, you can just repalce the batteries when you do the ELT.

Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Actually, my E2E doesn't have the scallops. I have the "Type III Hard Anodized" model with the anti-roll bezel.
    Yup, that's the same one I have. Even though mine get's hot, it has never heated up my purse....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Wow, am I embarrassed! Of course I ment the E2D...
    When you said scallops, I thought you were meaning the grooves on the side by the head, which are found on the E2E, but only on the satin grey model (see pic).

You meant the scallops on the head and tail of the E2D Defender (they call it "crenellated Strike Bezel"), so now I know what you mean. Yep, they're for map reading, officer.

image ©Surefire
    Attached Images

I wish the E2E had an option to use a more powerful head. When the holiday season is over I may get a 9P, with a 200 lumen head.
    I don't want to momentarily distract, as much as I want to blind them! I want someone to have a gigantic white spot in there vision minuets after the light is off.

How does the LED upgrade (25 lumen's I think) compare to the light output of a std. mini-Mag-light? I like the idea of the extended battery life but don't want to drop all the way back to mini-mag output levels.
    I use my 6P every night at work. The upgrade is well worth it. From what I remember the upgrade bumps the output up to 120 lumen.
    I let the late night drunk residents flash each other, and say "Dam,...that IS bright!!!" :3schild40 . I use a mini-mag light for normal stuff, pulse the mini-mag light makes a better makeshift Kubaton, the mini mag-light might be replaced by a Streamlight Baton light. Surefire says the battery life with the upgrade is 10min, but it doesn't seem like it.
    Last edited by gregarat; November 5th, 2005 at 09:03 PM.

Well, UPS just delivered my 6P ... at 8:15PM! Wasn't expecting anyone at the door that late, so I shoved my J-frame in my pocket and signed for the package. Now all I've got to do is figure out a temporary carrier until my new gear comes in.

That 6P is a beefy little fella though, seems thicker in the barrel than my Z2. Looks plenty durable and I think it'll suit my needs just fine. Thanks for all the input folks, it's given me a lot to think about.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Sooo.... have you nuked yourself in the face yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Sooo.... have you nuked yourself in the face yet?

Well ....... yeah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links