Surefire options?

Surefire options?

This is a discussion on Surefire options? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Through a recent trade, I've now got a Surefire 6P inbound and intend to add that to my daily carry routine. I've been doing a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire options?

Surefire options?

Through a recent trade, I've now got a Surefire 6P inbound and intend to add that to my daily carry routine. I've been doing a little research the last few days, both here and on Surefire's website, so of course now I'm confused. I'd like to get some opinions on a few things from those of you with more "light carry" experience:

1). I see that Surefire brand batteries are selling for $15 per dozen. Are they any good or should I stick with Duracell? I just paid $10 for 2 so they're steep but if they're worth it I'll stick with them. I just read Betty's thread on exploding batteries. No offense Betty, but if I see you downtown I'm hiding my toys!

2). Would I gain anything substantial if I decided to buy an E2e and carry that instead of the 6P? By substantial I guess I mean: Durability, usefulness in defensive situations, that sort of thing. What ARE the advantages BTW?

3). How does the LED upgrade (25 lumens I think) compare to the light output of a std. mini-Maglight? I like the idea of the extended battery life but don't want to drop all the way back to mini-mag output levels.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - my take -

I bought 2 boxes of 123 batteries from Surefire for $15 a box and have no problem with those - no way do I want to pay the sometimes inflated prices I see elsewhere. 10 year shelf life too claimed for these types of cells.

I only carry a lil' E1e - but find it a staggeringly good light for its size. Sure, output is lower than the bigger ones but - it does what I need. I did at considerable expense change to the LED head and have been well pleased with that. The light is colder - no prob - and yes, the beam is not as intense but - I find that even when battery slightly past its best - I can shine it briefly in my eyes or someone else's and - no kidding - one to two seconds of seeing stars!!

It's less the raw lumens as being I think the excellent optical aspect - very concentrated core to light. I am confident this small light would temporarily blind and distract anyone within reasonable range.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks Chris, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll grab a box or two of those batteries, carry the 6P for now and put an E series w/LED upgrade on my wishlist for later. It sounds way too "tactical" but I didn't want to give up too much of the blinding ability by converting to LED.

Why is it all the really fun toys are so expensive? It's just not fair!

Jack

DC Founder
    I have an E2e and absolutely love it. It's bright and despite dropping it several times, it continues to work with no problem. Somewhere on here you'll see a thread about a problem I had with it initially, but hate to admit it was, in the end, a user problem. The guys at Surefire were at least gracius enough not to call me what I was on that one. The only problems I see is the heat and the rate that they die when the batteries do reach their end. It will be blinding one minute and them Boom!, it's dark. I bought a case of batteries and still have half a case almost one year later. I swear you can strip paint from the heat off of an E2e that has been on a minute or two....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    While i have the G2 nitrelon , I love it. Check local camera shops and such for the lithium batteries. Sometime you can find deals there. I have a L.E. supplier who sells em(batteries) cheap, but you may or may not be able to find 1 in your area. Nice thing about lith. batt. , cold does not weaken em like convetional batteries.

Assistant Administrator
    Bumper's comment re heat - is another reason why I like the LED head - further to which, current draw/drain is way less intense and so dramatic failure is not gonna happen.

I have had a useable (if not over intense) light with battery down to 2.7V !!!

Many things are compromize and/or trade-off but I do like knowing that my light will not die in almost seconds - instead I have good warning when it is fading. I do suggest folks check batt' volts from time to time tho - takes seconds and gives a good clue as to when ''death'' might occur
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    I think the 6P is only a wee bit bigger than the E2E, but the E2E has a pocket clip. I broke the one on mine, so I replaced it with a bigger, stouter one that I attached with some paracord. Both lights are made out of the same aluminum and craftsmanship, so I don't think there's a real difference in durability.

The E2D Executive Defender has the knobbed head and tailcap that's specialized for giving your attacker a good whack. GG&G also offers spiky impact heads for various Surefire and Streamlight flashlights.

Besides dad's PentagonLight batteries exploding inside his G2 Nitrolon, you probably saw my other thread where my E2E screwed on in my purse and turned toasty hot. I've learned to keep my light unscrewed a lot more, and that LED lights are looking even better.

Mrshonts and I had some fun playing "look, we can see through our hands" with my Streamlight Scorpion. That was short lived, however - it got toasty hot, too.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    yes , they get hot, but i just can't see using a lower output LED wwhile a hi output light is avalible.

Assistant Administrator
    Yes but Rocky - the LED head on my E1e gives same lumens figure as the normal bulb!!

Believe me - look into that sucker up fairly close - you'll see sparkles!!
    Chris - P95

I carry a E2D IWB whenever I'm out socializing.
    My preferred light is the 9P with the P91 (200 lumen) lamp.

A few weeks back I had a guy approach me trying to pick a fight.
    I already had the 9P in my hand, and when I put the light right in his eyes, he did a Matrix... Bent way backward while twisting his head away.
    He then jumped back and ran 15 yards. It was like I had hit him in the face with a bat. :smilegrin

If you need a utilitarian light, get the A2 Aviator or something.

Betty, we need a Surefire smiley.

1952 - 2006
    I have been quite happy with my SureFire 6P and I've had it for 8 years now. It has gone through 2 bulbs, one when I dropped it onto concrete and I guess it just hit wrong, the bulb was dead. That was about 5 years ago and I've had the same bulb in it since then. It just died on me the other day.

While I do go through some batteries with it, one set lasts about a month on average, I use it quite a bit. I bought 2 dozen batteries from SureFire, plus a spares carrier which holds 6 batteries and 1 lamp.

If I use it a lot for a long period of time it will get warm but not hot enough to burn anything including my hand.

I am about to buy a 2nd 6P and then an A2 Aviator model because I fly small planes and think it would be a great light for inside the cockpit on dark nights.

I also love the fact that the batteries have such a long shelf life. You never have to worry about whether or not the batteries have any power when you pick it up after sitting on a shelf for months.

The A2 Aviator ought to solve an old axiom of pilots which says that "Flashlights are tubular containers for storing dead batteries."
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    Betty, we need a Surefire smiley.
    :hypnotize
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Wow, thanks for all the input. The more I think about it, the more I'm considering an LED conversion for the 6P and calling it good. For my intended use the 6P should be more than adequate and the extended battery life with cooler operating temps seems more cost effective than having thermonuclear lumen output. Given a few years the money I save on batteries should offset the price of the conversion head.

I'm going to really put it through it's paces when it comes in next week then I'll figure out what type carrier I want (either from Surefire or custom leather) and order those batteries.
    Thanks again all, your advice is very much appreciated.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    :hypnotize
    Quote Originally Posted by Maclean3
    thermonuclear lumen output
    LOL, you guys are great! Thanks for lightening (rim shot) up a dismal day.

I've been looking at buying an E2E, I probably will now if I don't find something else that catches my fancy at the gun show this weekend.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Wow, thanks for all the input. The more I think about it, the more I'm considering an LED conversion for the 6P and calling it good.
    I am a diehard Surefire fanatic and can't say enough good things about them (except that I wish they cost less...I think it would be cheaper if I was addicted to crack instead of flashlights). Just keep in mind that the LED conversion head for the 6P is substantially larger than the regular head. Not HUGE, but definitely bigger. Just something to keep in mind.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links