So What Is A Holographic Sight?

This is a discussion on So What Is A Holographic Sight? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know but, do you? EOTECH HOLOGRAM SIMULATOR CLICK HERE On That Page Click START SIMULATOR. Not really a game just a realistic look through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So What Is A Holographic Sight?

Administrator

I know but, do you?

EOTECH HOLOGRAM SIMULATOR CLICK HERE
    On That Page Click START SIMULATOR.
    Not really a game just a realistic look through & you can Mouse Click to shoot. Ya can't miss.

Holography is described scientifically as a wavefront reconstruction process. Unlike a camera which forms and records the two-dimensional image of an object on film, a hologram records and reconstructs the light field propagating from a three-dimensional object to the viewer. A good analogy is the recording and play back of sound. The sound waves (e.g. music) are encoded and recorded on a disk. Upon proper decoding, the original sound waves are reconstructed. With holography, the field is encoded in the form of an interference pattern and recorded as refractive index variations on a clear window. The decoding is achieved by illuminating the hologram with laser light and the light field that was propagating from the object scene to the hologram window is reconstructed. Thus, a viewer cannot tell if the three-dimensional image he sees is "live" or a holographic reconstruction.

The Holographic sight makes use of the capability of a hologram to construct a three-dimensional image to produce a reticle that is projected out to the target plane. This is achieved by using a large, high quality aberration free lens to project the pattern as illustrated. The reticle image could be of any light pattern, any geometric shape or size, and produced in either 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional form. The holographic reticle is uniformly bright and distortion-free regardless of image size. A parallax free image is created with a large and bright aiming pattern allowing quick target acquisition, particularly in close quarter combat situations. At the same time, the HWS can produce an aim point as small as the human eye can resolve to achieve the highest aiming accuracy possible without magnification.

LINK TO EOTECH HOME PAGE - CLICK HERE
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Frankly QK - I see a wee smidgeon of BS in their description - yep - the cynic in me!! LOL!

I know tho that the Eotech, Docter etc are superb sights - I also like my Bushnell Holosight but sure as heck don't see too much genuine holographic content! Not what I interpret anyways as true holography.

Oh well - bottom line for me is what works! That'll do.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i think they forgot about the muffler bearings in there... I just wish prices would come down to a reasonable level

Administrator

The Recticle

I believe the recticle is a true hologram.
    You know my kinda person...I'll call them up on the phone & I'll ask them.

VIP Member
    I don't know much about the science behind holography - all I know is I love the EoTech on my Bushy.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I asked the question and here's what EOTech has to say about their sight:
    "the sight is the only one that is a true transmission holography designed sight".

I have a 512 on my M4 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

One of the really 'neat' characteristics of a holographic image is that it (the image) in effect resides 'everywhere' on the film. In other words, if you take a piece of film with a single image of something say in the center, you can take scissors and cut the piece of film in half and EACH piece of film still retains the FULL image!! You can cut each of those pieces in half and on and on and EACH piece will still have the full image of the object. ! This info isn't necessarily holographically pertanent except that if you would get a bullet hole ,say in one half of the glass image piece, the reticle would still be 100% still complete and usable !! Same if a glob of mud was to cover most of the glass, the reticle would STILL once again be usable !!!!
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    P95, I don't believe sir, that the Doctor is a hologram. I know that the Tasco Optima,and the TRU-GLO aren't.---------

Assistant Administrator
    RSSZ - you are right I am sure - I had really just brought up the ''top of the range'' red dots - re cost and quality. Must say I had not really looked into their actual image producing minutiae.

I am a bit of a ''red-dot simpleton'' - if the ''device'' makes a dot I can see and is adjustable to provide good accuracy - I am a happy camper
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    EO tech's are nice. Wish I had the extra money to spend on 1. Guess I will have to save up for 1. I like the dot is visible anywhere in the window, even with it partially covered or broken.

It's gotta be MY eyes but I can't seem to get a clear pic of the circle or dot with the EOTech's. This is the same with all the holographic sights. The non-holo dot types are perfectly clear.This is the only reason that I don't own one.-------

RSSZ have you ever suffered from serious eye trauma? When my father was a child he was in a nasty car accident and his left eye popped out, now he's nearly blind on that side. (Now that I'm older I feel so bad about all the times we would sneek up on his left side and scare the bejeezus out of him.) Another result of that accident is he can't see rear projection TV's and holographic displays unless he is sitting directly in front of them.

A1C Lickey

I have had some damage to both my eyes.(overpressures) Will have the doc check this out next time I'm at the NRMC. He can check that out after he checks the other "end" of me just as long as he washes his hands first.-------

One thing else I wanted to comment on above re the red dots/ holographics, but forgot was the main reason the holographic sights, ie the Eotech's, are so much better is that they are almost completely 100% parallax free whereas the standard red dots are not and even the Acog is listed as NOT parallax free. The holographic parallax free Eotech lets you move your eye off center of the sight window/red dot and still be on target whereas with others, you need to keep a pretty close centerline down the sight tube to still be on target
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

1952 - 2006
    After I recently got an Eotech on the Rock River Arms Govt model I can tell you that it is a wonderus sighting device.

RSSZ, are you using the Eotech with shooting glasses? I've noticed that when I wear glasses (as we all should) the recticle is kinda blurry but distinct. Without glasses it's crystal clear.

As for parallax, it's not exact, but it's darn close to having none. At 50 yards when I move my eye around the sight, I can be off target by about 2". Pretty good but not perfect.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links