"New" Rucksack - What Can You Tell Me About It?

This is a discussion on "New" Rucksack - What Can You Tell Me About It? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I was shopping at a flea market today. I came across a couple frame packs. One is getting resold, but the other one I'm ...

Thread: "New" Rucksack - What Can You Tell Me About It?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

"New" Rucksack - What Can You Tell Me About It?

Hello,

I was shopping at a flea market today. I came across a couple frame packs. One is getting resold, but the other one I'm keeping. I've been looking for something just like it, and it was only $5! :up:

The material is canvas. Very nice... I've not been able to find anything like this. The frame really stabilizes it. All the buckles are leather. It carries plenty high and I still have plenty good access to my gun and everything else on my belt.

The shoulder straps are very padded, and very comfortable. The only thing I miss having is a chest strap, but I may find something to use for that.

Here's the pack...

... the frame and the shoulder straps...

... and the only logo or writing I can find anywhere on the pack.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Who made it? When?

I'm going to have to take it out for a test hike soon. I think one pocket will be dedicated to a military canteen, and I'll have to find a place to put my Camelbak. If I carry that, plus my 2 quart canteen with shoulder strap, plus the military canteen, I'll have 1.25 gallons on me, nicely distributed. Big plans.

Anyway, comments? Info? Figure I did well? :D

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Only thing I can add is that by those pics, it seems like the original owner added ALICE-pack style straps in addition to the pack's original straps. OMO. BTW, I'm originally from Marion, IN.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Lead Moderator
    Looks alot like the old Boyscout pack (only a lot newer) my dad used when he was a kid. The frame looks rather uncomfortable for any extended use. The straps don't look anything like my ALICE pack straps.
    Not sure what you are planning for it, it might not be too bad of day pack.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    OK, did you google the words on the logo?

ETA: Cuz I just did and over half the crap was in German...sorry.
    Last edited by Free American; June 11th, 2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: I stated the obvious too quickly.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Well, I thought I did.

Maybe I Googled the wrong thing? I ran the search on everything at once.

Josh <><

My guess would be the WFS stands for (some W state) Forest Service. It looks sturdy, but on the heavy side. I think you will be wanting a waist pad/belt. You may be able to get an ALICE type one to work with it. +1 for those not being ALICE shoulder straps. Maybe try it without the frame....it could be a nice daypack. In any case I think you did good for $5. If you want to turn it you can always call it an antique!

Austin

Thanks all.

I took it camping, and it's surprisingly comfortable as is. No pressure on my spine as I expected.

The only things I would like are 1) a place for my Camelbak bladder and 2) a waist strap (though it only comes down to my stomach.

This thing would work very well with a fanny pack.

The one problem I ran into was that the leather straps are in worse shape than I thought, very dry rotted, and I need to find a way to replace them.

I'm up for suggestions.

Sew a separate pouch for the Camelbak? The straps are riveted on - how do I deal with this?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Sew a separate pouch for the Camelbak? The straps are riveted on - how do I deal with this?
    To remove the rivets you just drill the centers out and go from a small bit and work up til it comes apart,Then get some of those screw sets that they use on holsters and knife sheaths and attach a set of nulon straps or maybe buy some leather scrap and make some straps again either screwing the ends together or even using a hand rivet tool with aluminim rivets if you have one on hand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think they're called "Chicago screws"

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I think they're called "Chicago screws"

Austin
    Yes and they got the name from every gun law they ever passed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Rocky and Aus, I agree that the shoulder straps are not standard ALICE-pack straps. I meant that they are similar to those straps. It looked like (to me anyway) that the previous owner sewed those straps onto the pack. I bought padded straps for my ALICE pack when I was in the Marines. Those straps are very similar to the ones posted other than the attachment method. OMO. YMMV. The OP did get a good pack for the money he spent though.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't know who made your ruck but the frame is identical to a WWII mountain pack I have. The pack bag itself bears somewhat of a resemblance to the G.I. issue bag also.

Links