How to build a gun room?!

This is a discussion on How to build a gun room?! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have surfed around without any luck in finding any info and or posts on the subject. I want to begin to play with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a gun room?!

I have surfed around without any luck in finding any info and or posts on the subject.

I want to begin to play with the tough of making a gun room.

How do I do such a thing? I mean..putting up thick reinforced steel plates,
    putting in a vault door and getting the plates to stay on the wall..just use nice long screws? Have anyone done such a thing and would like to tell me what and how they did it?!

Plates, lights, ventilation and doors..and any other things i might have forgot..

Senior Moderator
    Humidity control / desiccation needs to be on the list.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Steel plates may not be necessary if you are building from scratch and can make the walls out of reinforced concrete.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

A friend put one in his basement. Basically:
    Wall frame built on 12" centers.
    Ceiling and floor joists placed with "concrete" (coated) nails and Liquid nails.
    Cross bars between the studs off-set, top-to bottom, at 18"
    Solid wood outward openung door (recessed hinges)with lock and catch set 18" apart.
    Face panelling of 3/4" particle board.

He had some rebar run through the studs somehow, too. I think he had 6' pieces that he dead-headed into the exterior wall stud, and drilled the subsequent studs, basically threading them onto the rebar, then deadheaded into the door frame.

Made a good family safe-room.

Administrator
    You can make a "poor mans" vault using chain link fencing too, sort of a cage type set up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You can make a "poor mans" vault using chain link fencing too, sort of a cage type set up.
    This is actually very close to how many companies handle interior add-on high value rooms. Most that I have seen include horizontally run 2 x 4 's between studs every 18", then a fence heavy stapled to the studs, and a new interior wall built over that.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    This is actually very close to how many companies handle interior add-on high value rooms. Most that I have seen include horizontally run 2 x 4 's between studs every 18", then a fence heavy stapled to the studs, and a new interior wall built over that.
    Thats where I got the idea... a lot of PD property rooms are the same thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    It be better if the chain link fence had concrete poured over it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Depending on how many guns etc. you may be better off buying one or more gun safes and anchoring them to cement floors and walls and then building the exterior walls around them,possibly block walls reinforced with concrete and rebar
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    It really depends on what your budget is, and who or what you are trying to keep out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My " gunroom" is not in the building i live in . the thinnest wall is 8" of poured concrete with 3/8 rebar as reinforcement . the other two walls i have no idea on other than they are natural rock and about 20" thick . To seal the area ( the last " wall " ) is a combo of 1/2 and 1/4 mild steel . I used 1/2 to anchor to the mollys , and welded it to the 1/4 sheet . The door is 1/4 secured with a built hasp and padlock . The entire thing is smaller than a walk in closet and used materials i had on hand .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

A friend of mine in Fl has a gun room/hurricanne shelter built into his house.

Concrete slab, rebar reinforced concrete block walls poured solid w/ concrete. At that point he realized the roof or attic space is a weak point, so he had prestressed, steel reinforced concrete slabs put on top of the walls for a ceiling, and then set the roof trusses on that. He also has a bank vault type door. Excellent security, but very expensive and difficult to do unless it is being done as an addition or at the time of home construction. He did his when the house was being built.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    mine is 15x16 with reinforced poured concrete walls...I installed a vault door that opens in, and a steel and concrete ceiling.
    I have electricity run into it, and a phone land line. I also have a pipe (PVC) for fresh air that runs into the yard and up out of the ground under a tree...it is capped in the room, and can be uncapped if needed.. I have a few little 12v fans that can pump air if needed in the room. I also have lanterns, and provisions for the family in case of a natural disaster...plus a comfy chair, bookcase, and tv...my mancave...It has vertical rifles racks across the back wall with a cubbie under each rack to hold the ammo for the firearm. I bought some pistol racks, and have the same thing for them on a shelf. A small workbench for reloading and repairs. I installed track lighting around the room on the ceiling...I also have four exterior camera's on the house that display on monitors..one in my bedroom and one in this room.
    it has been an work in progress for quite a while...
    always added more things...recently I put in chargers for my cell phones, some new MRE's, and a case of canned peaches. Oh and a fold up cot.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

gun room

I have concrete walled room that is more of reloading room than gun room with a solid wooden door and good sized gunsafe. Pictures are not of mine but from an e-mail going around of a gun vault that has lots of military hardware.

Last edited by ronbo; June 13th, 2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: picture
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links