Night Site Performance request

This is a discussion on Night Site Performance request within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been waiting to install night sites on my XD45 until I made up my mind what I wanted. I have almost done so and would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Site Performance request

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Night Site Performance request

Been waiting to install night sites on my XD45 until I made up my mind what I wanted. I have almost done so and would like to beat a dead horse once again.

A few questions please

- Which brand night sites did you choose?

- How has your choice held up since you installed them? Any vials broken? Tritium inserts fell out? Sights got loose?

- Have you had any holster issues with your choice of sights?

- If unsatisfied, what would you have done differently had you known?

- Would you prefer to forego the sights and just use a laser?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

The wife and I discussed a laser for her pistol and she wants one... But we can't find one for her pistol (PT140)

Haven't decided what I want on mine... But whatever I decide will have to work with the MTAC.

I checked this out. Doesnt seem to provide me with much confidence. I carry concealed so no sunlight hits my sights while concealed. When at home, I could charge them with lamplight, but they only hold a charge for a few hours. What if I needed them 7 hours after charging them?

These seem too cheap to trust a life with but are a very cheap way to upgrade a stock set of sights I guess.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that a laser is not supposed to be used in lieu of sights. I believe the laser is an aid and a tool but not a replacement. Good sights are needed. Yes there are arguments for and against night sights, that defensive shooting will most likely be point shooting, and so on.

I think you should get some good night sights and a laser sight like Crimson Trace and train appropriately with both.

As far as the sights go, it seems Trijicon is the industry leader in Tritium night sights and most manufactures use their sights or produce their own with Trijicon vials. My personal favorite, AmeriGlo, uses Trijicon's vials. Many people recommend XS Sights 24/7 Big Dots. While I have no personal experience with them, they seem like a good setup.

What kind of a setup are you looking for: three dots, two dots, etc.? Again, there are arguments for and against certain setups, differing colors between front and rear, etc. For me and my M&P9, I like the AmeriGlo/Bowie Tactical Concepts Operator sights. It is a three dot setup with the front tritium vial being outlined in white drawing your focus to it.

+1 on the Ameriglo Operators. I have them installed on my G17, very bright, and easy to see(for me). Over 4k rounds thru and no problems with them, would buy another set.

SY

Below are pics of the Ameriglos for the XD which can be found here.

The Ameriglo/BTC Operators I have on my M&P9 have preformed quite well over 2,000 rounds and much abuse at a few course I have taken.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I have the Tritium sights on my Taurus PT1911 and have had zero issues with them. They glow just fine, stand up to wear & tear and holster wear. I didn't necessarily choose these as they came with my pistol. Now I am spoiled and want them on my other 1911!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

TruGlo TFO

I have TruGlo TFO's on my XD40. I love them. They are on my carry pistol and I have had zero problems with the. They are tritium filled so they light up at night just like regular night sights and also are fiber optic so they illuminate during low light (dusk and dawn) as well. At first I was concerned that the cut-out in the top of the sight would make them not as sturdy as regular night sights, but I have found that NOT to be the case. These things are incredibly well built. I highly recommend them.

Over 6k rounds and no loose sights or broken vials. No know holster issues. I have heard many good things about Big Dot XS sights also.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

I have Meps on my Kimbers (comes with them)...
    I have Trij's on my Glocks...

Never a problem with either type...in the house at night, I can focus on anything coming through the door or a window, without a flashlight, and be 'dead' on accurate!

Stay armed...use night sights...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm a big fan of Ameriglo sights...lots of options, trijicon vials, good price, and hold up well...I've never used XS Big dots but have been considering them if you are in the market for something with a non-traditional sight picture then they look interesting.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have used guns with Truglo TFOs and they work great, but I have heard from a couple people who had problems with the front light-pipe coming loose.

I have the XS Express 24/7 Standard Dot installed on my SIG P220. I love 'em in the light, and the tritium has worked fine in the low-light/no-light IDPA stages I have shot with them. No holster problems, and I use the gun in an MTAC, a Blackhawk CQC, and a UBG Regulator.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I bought my first set of Trijicons in 1992, just replaced that set and they were still visible in very low light. Tritium has a half life of 12 years I believe. That means that basically, at 12 years, the radioactivity is half of what it was, and then will half again in another 12 yrs. Mine were 16 years old and I completed a class just a few weeks ago where we had night firing. I had absolutely no problem with them, but was at the gun shop and .... well, I put new ones on. Now all but one of my Glocks have them new. It has Trijicons from 95 on it and they are still pretty good.
    I just put a set of Meprolights on my newest Glock. I now have 5 Glocks, all with night sights and would never own one without NS that I was going to carry. You never know when you will need them, and I have tried to shoot other pistols in the past at low light times outside and just cannot see the sights well enough for good shot placement. They are a vital tool on any carry gun in my opinion. You will not have any problems if you stick with a good name brand. I have heard good stuff about the Ameriglo, but never used any. I KNOW Trijicons are great and rugged. I cannot tell a difference between my Meps and my Trijicons from a use standpoint, the Meps are typically 10-15 bucks cheaper.
    I just bought a rear sight tool. I had used a brass punch until the last rear sight gave me such a fit. I wound up destroying it. It absolutely was just too tight a fit for the dovetail and I couldn't get it to go in. I should have used a sight tool then, but anyway, I bought one now and installed this last set with no problem.

Update!

I went with Trijicon/AmeriGlo with green front yellow rear.

I chose these for three reasons:

- Durability (these are tritium vials encased in steel sights, not plastic)

- Lower profile than TruGlo. Almost standard stock size sights

- Long life for tritium viles (12 year half life)

They also fit into my MTAC holster just fine.

My local shop had them in stock for my XD45 and they were installed and perfectly laser boresighted in about 20 minutes.

Excellent choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links