Hands-free headlamps

Hands-free headlamps

This is a discussion on Hands-free headlamps within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since we're all in flashlight mode... Having your hands free means you can easily reach for your gun or defend yourself hand-to-hand against those dozen ...

Thread: Hands-free headlamps

VIP Member

Hands-free headlamps

Since we're all in flashlight mode...

Having your hands free means you can easily reach for your gun or defend yourself hand-to-hand against those dozen ninjas jumping out from behind the bushes.

For camping/hiking, I enjoy my little Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp - it's small, light, water-resistant, and has 3 brightness modes plus a blinking option. I couldn't find the actual lumen output, but I can say it's blindingly bright on it's highest setting. It takes 3 AAA batteries and has 4 LED bulbs. This particular model is not waterproof (I didn't think to look for that at the time), but Petzl makes others that are.

There's plenty of other manufacturers who make headlamps, too. Some have single straps like mine, and other have the extra strap that go across the top of the head. I like the single strap because my headlamp is so light the extra strap isn't necessary, and it fits more easily around headgeear.

Headlamps are extremely handy not just for camping, but for any other situation when you're out in the dark. Ever have a flashlight roll away when you're changing a flat in the dead of night?

I have one Tikka Plus I keep with my backpack gear, fastened on the outside of the pack in it's soft case. I gave one to my brother. I think I'll get another (probably a more waterproof one this time) to keep in my vehicle.

They can also make good Christmas presents for an outdoorsy person.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I keep looking for one that I like... I'd ideally want one that ran off a single CR123 cell so it would be that much lighter and brighter.

I've heard the Rock River/Nuwai headlamp is good for the money, and I've been looking for an excuse to pick one up.

If I ever find one to my liking I'll get two of them, possibly three. I'm thinking of the cost of a good headlamp versus buying mounts and lights for all of my guns, not to mention they don't all readily accept light mounts. Not that I'll realistically ever be trudging through the brush at night with my Mosin, but you never know (TM).

I honestly had an idea once that someone should make a super bright, super light, illuminator that would mount on a pair of glasses...

Sponsored Links