Wolf Springs in Glock Mags

This is a discussion on Wolf Springs in Glock Mags within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was considering putting some Wolf +10% springs in a few of my G23 & 22 mags that I load into my G27. The reason ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Springs in Glock Mags

Wolf Springs in Glock Mags

I was considering putting some Wolf +10% springs in a few of my G23 & 22 mags that I load into my G27. The reason is that sometimes the last round does not feed without tapping the bottom of the mag. This only occurs in my 27 not the 23. I also made sure that I gripped only the grip on the weapon and not the mag when firing. So I know that I did not cause the round to nose dive. My 9 round mags worked flawlessly in my 27, so it is not the gun.

I posted about this awhile back and someone stated that Glock does not recommend using 23 & 22 mags in the 27. But it is so much easier to pull a full size mag out of a pouch than the 9 rounder. So I really would like to get the 23 & 22 mags to feed in my 27.

Has anyone put Wolf springs in their Glock mags? Any problems loading rounds or loading the mag into the gun? Feeding issues? Is a Wolf spring longer or is it just more stiff? Any feedback that someone might have would be appreciated.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Has anyone put Wolf springs in their Glock mags? Any problems loading rounds or loading the mag into the gun? Feeding issues? Is a Wolf spring longer or is it just more stiff? Any feedback that someone might have would be appreciated.
    No--I haven't used Wolff springs in my mags. Only Glock replacement springs. Personally, I don't think an extra power spring is going to help your issues. I would imagine the 10% extra power would either be made up of a larger diameter wire, a redesigned wire, or a different annealing or heat treating processes above and beyond normal manufacturing--just a guess. I use grip sleeves on my G23 magazines that I use specifically in my G27 since I don't own a G23 and they work flawlessly-loaded to the max and down to the last round. I'm still thinking your problem lies with the alignment of the longer mags in the short well. Realize that a full or mostly full mag would probably align itself pretty well, but as the mag empties and gets closer to the last round, becomes sort of sloppy. I haven't tried my G22 mags in my G27, but if I did, I'd bet I would have the same problem s as you are having. Even an empty G22 mag weighs more than an empty G27 mag. It only takes a hair for the follower not to push up on the slide stop, it only takes a hair for the slide not to strip a round off the top of a mag. Anytime one knowingly uses non-specified parts in anything, they can expect to roll the dice. I know you'll be getting some of the Wolff springs, and I truly hope that helps. I'd be interested to see the results.

Ramrod, I've tried the grip sleeve on my 23 mags and it did the same thing. I've also heard some rumbling about different numbered followers. I have 4s and 5s. I have to check the mags at work when I go in tomorrow night. They might be different.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

The 4 and 5 numbers are the most current for the hi-caps I believe. The ten round followers are different. I had to take my Dremel tool to my grip sleeves I use on the G23 mags to make everything fit right.

Unless you have damage to the feedlips or followers (doesn't sound like it), Wolff will likely improve things. I used to shoot limited amounts of subgun ammo (1600 fps) through a 17, and initially had trouble feeding because of the increased slide velocity (I'd already replace the mainspring.) +10% mag springs cleared it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Has anyone put Wolf springs in their Glock mags?
    I did, back during the AWB period, when I wanted to get a little more life out of the tired preban mags I had on hand. Wolffs are excellent. They really come into their own for longer size mags, i.e., G17 vs G19.

Has anyone put Wolf springs in their Glock mags? Any problems loading rounds or loading the mag into the gun? Feeding issues? Is a Wolf spring longer or is it just more stiff?
    I've used Wolff "extra power" mag springs in some three dozen Glock magazines for two G19s, a G27, a G23, two G30s, two G36s and a G21, all of these in standard or "high capacity" (normal capacity) form, not "Klinton Klips".
    Answers to your questions are:
    Yes.
    No.
    No.
    Stiffer and a bit longer.

Stock Glock magazine springs aren't best quality, IME. I've had them take such bad "sets" several times that even the second round in a loaded magazine wouldn't feed or rise to feed lip level. I routinely replace new Glock mag springs with Wolff (or better yet ISMI, if available) products.
    Humani nihil alienum

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I use Wolf springs in all of my Glocks including the mag springs. They are GTG!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Thanks for the replys, everyone. I'm gonna order some Wolff springs. Can anyone recommend a good website? Google provided me with Wolff Gunsprings Manufactures springs for modern and vintage firearms, guns, hammer, pistols, handguns, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, semiautomatic, accessories, weapons, law enforcement, hunting, shooting, recoil, colt, mainsprings, magazines, IPSC. Has anyone used this one or another that is a safe site?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I have used Wolff springs in my G21, and was less than happy with the results. I switched back to Glock mag springs.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I still say go for it. I don't want anyone thinking I'm the first in the post to spell Wolff correctly. I've had Wolff recoil springs for several previous, and some current pistols. I've thought about the Wolff mag springs in the past, and quite frankly can't seem to justify the cost compared to factory replacements when it comes to the Glocks. Again---you are wanting something to perform in a factory mag that was intended for a specific purpose. I have nothing for my factory mags besides factory replacements. Springs, followers, bases. Just recently, I rebuilt three G22 mags I had problems with. Those were purchased used hi-cap, and I've always stocked myself pretty good on the Glock stuff just in case. All of my Glock mags now work flawlessly in the intended pistols. If you want me to count my total Glock mags I will---even I'd be interested to know since I've never really taken inventory. I'm almost sure the Wolff springs will do you well, but at what extra expense to thwart a non-original application issue.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; June 18th, 2008 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I have used Wolff springs in my G21, and was less than happy with the results. I switched back to Glock mag springs.
    Why weren't you pleased?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the replys, everyone. I'm gonna order some Wolff springs. Can anyone recommend a good website? Google provided me with Wolff Gunsprings Manufactures springs for modern and vintage firearms, guns, hammer, pistols, handguns, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, semiautomatic, accessories, weapons, law enforcement, hunting, shooting, recoil, colt, mainsprings, magazines, IPSC. Has anyone used this one or another that is a safe site?
    That's the manufacturer's site itself. Buy from there.

On my new G30sf one of the mag springs was messed up and although I bent it to allow the follower to align, I decided that since I was ordering some Wolff springs for my 1911 mags, I would order a three pack for the Glock. They are working as I expected a Wolff spring to work - well and all the time. I ordered them directly from Wolff.

If you are having magazine issues with a glock, why not just buy another magazine and send the one giving you trouble back to the factory?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links