Surefire 6P vs. 9P for carry

This is a discussion on Surefire 6P vs. 9P for carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been considering getting the 6P for 24/7 carry. Is the 9P much more difficult to carry? It seems to have a couple of inches ...

Thread: Surefire 6P vs. 9P for carry

Surefire 6P vs. 9P for carry

Have been considering getting the 6P for 24/7 carry. Is the 9P much more difficult to carry? It seems to have a couple of inches on the 6P but the head looks smaller based on the pictures. Also - is the extra lumens on the 9P worth it? I've been hit in the dark with 65 lumens and it is pretty blinding. I can't imagine what 100+ lumens would do.

I've also looked at the E2E and can't determine if this is a better carry option. I like the lamp upgradeability of the 6P/9P, but it seems like the main advantage to the e2e is longer runtime.

Hate to start another surefire thread - just having a hard time deciding which one to put on my christmas list.

2. Remove Ads

IMHO the extra size of the 9P is worth it.
    Only place the 9P is a bit to big is when out at clubs on the weekends, but it still rides in my jacket pocket. The E2D is clipped IWB.

Once you see the ligth (the 100 lumens that is), you won't go back.
    You can get 100 with a P61 bulb in the 6P, but then you use 6 batteries per hour. With the 9P you use 3 batteries for the same time.

I have chosen to go to a P91 bulb, 200 lumens. I'm not going back now. :hypnotize

Kobun - can you fit the 9P in your pants pocket or is it just too big for pocket carry?

I can fit my 9P in my pants just fine. I like my smaller Z2 though. And now I want an even smaller, e2e.

But the 9P is awesome.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

The only thing that concerns me about carrying a 9P, is that the high lumens could be a problem indoors. I've lit up the G2 on my AR when near a wall and the backsplash from the light was not comfortable, and I'm sure it wrecked my night vision. For CCW, I assume with a handgun, I think the 60ish lumens of the 2 cell lights should be more than enough. The higher output lights can make sense on a long gun though.

Of course, after you read my sig, you'll realize that you shouldn't listen to me at all. ;)

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Kobun - can you fit the 9P in your pants pocket or is it just too big for pocket carry?
    Joe, the 9P will stick up about 1" from a jeans back pocket, and slip just into the front pocket. In 5.11's they a bit more comfortable as the pockets are bigger.
    I prefer a jacket pocket though as I can keep the light in my hand when walking at night. Even if you carry it in your hand, nobody will notice.

Links