Flashlight Search Help Needed

This is a discussion on Flashlight Search Help Needed within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok all let me give you a little background to claify our needs here at work... Up until a few weeks ago we pretty much ...

Thread: Flashlight Search Help Needed

Flashlight Search Help Needed

Ok all let me give you a little background to claify our needs here at work...

Up until a few weeks ago we pretty much all carried a Surefire of one type or another... both LED and Incand. varrying form 1 cell to 3 cell. One of our less than stellar employees through stupidity or ignorance decided it was a great idea to mix a LiIon 123A battery with its Alkaline counterpart in his G2 Nitrolon... Must have missed the huge safety warnings all over the battery packaging and the flashlight packaging... Long story short in typical kneejerk reaction from my employer was to "outlaw" any Surefire or similar light that uses the 123A batteries.

So this brings me to my issue...

My employer bought us all new Leatherman Monarch's which is a very good flashlight and very bright, but is a LED bulb... While this would not normally be an issue the tools in the area I work in have blue lexan doors on them. An while the LED is plenty bright enough the door blocks 80% of the light which makes it ineffective at best. Can't open the doors on most of the tools because they are interlocked and contain chemicals under pressure.

So what I'm looking for is a ~80 lumen flashlight that is Incand. and runs on AA or AAA batteries. Must be small and light enough to wear on your belt ( i.e. something in a form factor similar to a G2 Surefire)

Thanks in advance
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Surefire E2E......

I know, I know..........what really needs to be "outlawed" are stupid employees!

Maybe something like the Streamlight Stinger XT. It's a rechargeable xenon bulb, 125 lumens.

You are really going to have a bit of trouble getting a powerful alkaline driven incandescent.

I'd say that rechargeable is probably your best bet.

-john

When they outlaw SureFire's...you have some problems at work...

I did have some of Cabela's small lights, but nothing holds up like a SureFire...can't you talk some sense into 'someone' who makes decisions at your job?

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Here are a few 1xAA lights that come in over 80 lumens, some well over 100.

Fenix P1D Premium $60.00

NiteCore Defender Infinity $79.90

LiteFlux LF5XT $79.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post

All are LED however........
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 21st, 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post

All are LED however........
    Yes, they are. AA alkaline cells cannot support the current draw required to drive an incandescent bulb to that output level... that's why Surefire used 123A cells in the first place. These are the current cream of the crop, best of the best when it comes to 1xAA lights using ANY type of emitter - LED or incandescent bulb. Any one of them is brighter than a Surefire 6P, G2, C2, M2, G2LED, 6PLED... and most are brighter than the same said lights with their high output bulbs installed. You know, the ones that only give you 20 minutes of runtime?

By the way, of all of these, the LiteFlux has the most advanced (more lumens per watt of power consumption) emitter - a CREE XR-E R2 bin.

Right, but OP specifically requested incandescent due to issues with LEDs looking through colored Lexan. If you look up the new light they were issued, it is a pretty bright LED.

-john

I just ordered this light from Lighthound after reading about it on here a few days ago. In fact, I believe I saw it listed under one of Chooie's posts a little while ago. It should be here this week so I can test it out. It uses the AAs like you are looking for, looks to be the rght size, but does use a Cree LED.

If you can get past the LED bulb, it might be just what you're looking for. I'll post some quick comments about it once it gets here and I have a chance to play with it.

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links