Costco has two gun safes on "sale"

This is a discussion on Costco has two gun safes on "sale" within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Costco has two gun safes on sale for around the $700. I know they are not the best, but they are what I can spend ...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Costco has two gun safes on sale for around the $700. I know they are not the best, but they are what I can spend right now, the right size, not too terribly heavy, etc, etc, etc.

Costco - Centurion CN17 Vault By Liberty Safe

Costco - $699.99 after $200 OFF Safari Series 60" Fire Safe

Anyone have any thoughts?

I would really like to get the Zanotti (Zanotti Armor Gun Safes) but they are twice the price and about 4 months out. Anyone know anything about the Dakota safe? (Dakota Safe Company) They are a bit less expensive, but still modular in design.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

When I upgrade my current safe I will get a fire rated safe,no sense in securing your guns if they can get heat damaged,Right now the safe I have would slow them down but in case of a house fire may damage the firearms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well i pulled up the liberty safe website and it is hefty at 420 lbs but still movable lag it down with the biggest that will fit and the locking bolts are cam protected which is good but they only cover one side of the door so make sure you put it in the corner to prevent a weak side pry attack. but a very good safe for the money and costco beats factory direct pricing and free shipping. maybe i need to talk to the wife

Get something...
    The Centurion weighs 400# and with guns and some ammo...more than someone is going to walk away with.

I have two Brownings...not the best and not the worst...but a great piece of mind when I leave the house.

If I were to do it again, I would be very interested in the Zanotti, especially if I were moving from place to place as we did in previous years...the ability to take it apart is a real plus...OMO

Also, always buy bigger than you think you need...you'll fill it up! That's why I have TWO Brownings...

Stay armed...store your weapons safely...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 24th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In research Dakota safes, I found this on another forum:

I want to introduce myself. My name is Scott Jones and I am the owner of Dakota Safe Co.. Thank you for the good review of my product. As far as the advertising goes I am trying. Until recently I had never been on a forum before. I had a customer that had bought a safe that was pretty internet savvy and decided to give me glowing reviews on all the forums to "help me out." Needless to say after about 2 weeks of apologising for "threadomercials"
    I have been trying to watch and join in as time will allow.
    I have a safe and vault company in Tulsa OK and sell most of the major brands of gunsafe and commercial safes. I have beeen in business 16 yrs.
    While my safe is not the answer to every gunowners needs it certainly fills a niche in the market. People that move alot,up/down stairs, mobile homes etc.. I have tested the safe as to pry /beating attempts. My delivery guys were given crowbars, sledges and a splitting maul to try to break in and they gave up after 45min. The way we folded the panels makes them very rigid and a thief would have to cut three sides of the bolts to get a panel open far enough to gain access. I will put it against it any sub $1000 safe in that type of attack. My honest opinion on safes:
    The absolute finest gunsafe on the market is Graffunder.
    Very pricey but if you can afford it buy one. Go with at least a "C" rate
    1/2" steel side wall and 1" solid door.
    After that I would go with any of the major brands and try to get a gunsafe with a 3/16" side wall and a plate door. You can go with a composite door but only two manufacturers that I know of Amsec and Fort Knox will show you what the steel thickness is in the composite. Many of the major manufacturers are putiing a layer of 12g on the outside and a layer of 14 or 16g on the inside, and filling the void with sheetrock so it doesnt sound like a tin can.
    Get a safe with a top locking bolt. Makes a huge differance in a pry attack!
    In my testing there is not much of a differance between 10g and 12g they are both kind of thin.
    Although my safe tested at 1263 for 30 mins. in fire(got 36 mins but still call it 30) Do not count on any safe to make it through a house fire! Over the years I have had 6 safes that were in homes that burned to the ground. Two of them were 1/2 hour rated safes - nothing but burned gun barrels left inside.
    Four were 1 hour rated safes - 3 made it very well- one didnt.
    One was a two hour safe - It did just fine but where it was sitting i dont believe it got very hot.
    Put your safe in the lowest part of your house in an outside corner. I dont know why but the corners of a room do not get as hot as the middle. Put any media- negatives-diskettes etc in a media cooler( most office supply stores have them for under $50) and then put it in the safe. All papers and burnable items should be in the bottom of the safe. All of the safes that I have opened over the years after a fire were hotter in the top than the bottom.
    Any questions please feel free to post here or email me at scott@safeart.net
    thanks
    scott jones

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Costco has two gun safes on sale for around the $700. I know they are not the best, but they are what I can spend right now, the right size, not too terribly heavy, etc, etc, etc.

Costco - Centurion CN17 Vault By Liberty Safe

Costco - $699.99 after $200 OFF Safari Series 60" Fire Safe

<snip>
    EMP,

What is it about the Safari safe that makes you say it's "not the best"? Safari is made by Cannon, which is of decent quality--yes? I realize it's not top of the line (Graffunder, etc) but is there something specific that it's missing in your opinion?

Just asking because I'm safe shopping (in an abstract sort of way) too and I had been looking at Cannons.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    EMP,

What is it about the Safari safe that makes you say it's "not the best"? Safari is made by Cannon, which is of decent quality--yes? I realize it's not top of the line (Graffunder, etc) but is there something specific that it's missing in your opinion?

Just asking because I'm safe shopping (in an abstract sort of way) too and I had been looking at Cannons.

Brian
    Well, they are not $5000 safes. These are decent safes but bottom of the line as far as safes go. They will probably stop smash and grabs and even some attempts to break in. I just hear of lots of members here with $2-5000 safes. I cannot afford that, I do not have the room and I don't want to be lugging 1000 pounds of safe in the house. My hallways and such will not allow me to do that.

I think I am going to go with the Dakota safe for just that reason. They are modular, will fit my available space, can easily fit through my confined hallways into my closet, etc, etc, etc. I just think they are a minimum type of protection. But right now all I have is one of those Stack-on cabinets. It was fine when I had 2 guns and little kids. But now, my collection is growing, my kids are grown and I need better protection. (Sounds like I am dating. )

My gun safe is a Stack-on. Its a 16-23 gun safe that weighs about 440 lbs. I got it on clearance from a local gun shop. It was very fun to bring up the stairs to my house.I got it because it was on sale and I needed something. It was approx. $450(over 200 off). Still waiting on my firearms id/purchase permit to put more than my duty weapon and rem. 1100 in it.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I know money's tight for most right now, but it always amazed me to see guys protecting several thousand dollars worth of guns with a $200 locker.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I think I am going to go with the Dakota safe for just that reason. They are modular, will fit my available space, can easily fit through my confined hallways into my closet, etc, etc, etc. I just think they are a minimum type of protection. But right now all I have is one of those Stack-on cabinets. It was fine when I had 2 guns and little kids. But now, my collection is growing, my kids are grown and I need better protection. (Sounds like I am dating. )
    An update. I called Dakota and they had an "accident" at their manufacturing facility and won't be building safes for at least 60 more days. They have been out of commission for a few months now.

So today (6/25) I bought the Safari safe. It gets installed tomorrow. I will post pictures whence it is all done.

Either of those would be decent safes to start out with. They are both fire rated and look to fit your budget. I bought a Patriot safe that is made by Cannon a few months ago from a gun show. It's similar to the Safari you had listed. My safe weighs just under 600lbs and is lag bolted into a concrete floor. Good luck to anyone trying to get that out of my basement AFTER they get by my GSD!! LOL.

Any safe is better than no safe IMHO. I think you've got yourself a really good safe to start out with that will treat you well for a good time to come.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

<snip>
    So today (6/25) I bought the Safari safe. It gets installed tomorrow. I will post pictures whence it is all done.
    Please do! Lots of pics--especially of the inside. I'd love to hear all about it.

Brian

Links