That time again

That time again

This is a discussion on That time again within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every year, when the time changes, I order new defensive ammunition and I pick up at least 2 magazines or speedloaders for something I own. ...

Thread: That time again

That time again

Every year, when the time changes, I order new defensive ammunition and I pick up at least 2 magazines or speedloaders for something I own.

In this way I insure my carry ammunition is in optimal condition, that I'm using the best the market currently has to offer within reason, and that I build up a supply of magazines. This time I just picked up 2 more XD magazines since I'd really like to have a small gym bag full of them, and building up gradually won't break the bank.

Works for me

Lead Moderator
    looking for some mags and a holster for my new gun.

VIP Member
    I'm happy with 3 mags total for any semiauto. My brother has to have at least five or more. I don't know how many speedloaders I have. All I know is I try to keep them in the safe with their corresponding wheelguns, but somehow I find one in a drawer here, behind the TV there, or covered in dust elsewhere. It's like that Star Trek The Trouble With Tribbles episode. They keep multiplying.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

HAHAHA

That's the idea though... that's how I build up a supply of speedloaders, etc. It does seem like I never have enough however. On speedloaders I make it a point to purchase 2 of them whenever a gun show comes through and I can buy them for $7 or less without that pesky shipping. I will occassionally buy one from the range for $10. I really don't have enough speedloaders.

Realistically I want to have 12 full capacity XD40 magazines and 6 more that can be either 10 rounders or full capacity and I'll quit. I want 6 to keep in the truck, 6 to stuff in a BOB, and 6 spares for training to keep at home. I'm only up to about 8 full sizers and 2 10 rounders.

If I didn't have two of these pistols I wouldn't want so many... contemplate that logic for a second!

I also pick up at least 20 7.62x39 stripper clips every so often. I have been doing it bit by bit for about 2 years now and it's finally starting to grow into an adequate supply.

Assistant Administrator
    Incremental purchase is definitely way to go with ancillaries. I guess I am still modest on mags compared to some tho have at least eight 1911 mags now despite not using the platform that much (sorry Bruce LOL). My 226 has now 7 mags, Gary's old 220 has eight which is nice. My BHP has - oh heck, exactly several!

I do need to pick up another coupla Comp1's sometime for my SP. Otherwise about stocked enough for me. Now it's mainly ammo - and more ammo - plus some reloading when I can actually get to it!

(Beware the Tribbles )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Euc,

Don't forget to mark them so you know how long they have been loaded and when you bought them. This way you will not fatigue the springs by keeping them loaded too long, and you will know how long the springs lasted from the time of purchase. Then you need another data point as to when the spring was last changed. Sort of like keeping track of oil changes in your car.

-Scott-

I've got six or so 8 round CMC Shooting Stars (with extra springs) for a 1911. I had to sell off my last one three years ago but since I know I'll eventually buy another I've kept all the accessories.

Current wheelie acc. are two speedstrips and one speedloader for each gun ... I need to do something about that. Really like the way you're stockpiling Euc, it seems like a good, affordable way to get where I want to be.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I also pick up at least 20 7.62x39 stripper clips every so often. I have been doing it bit by bit for about 2 years now and it's finally starting to grow into an adequate supply.
    Keep your eyes open for Yugoslav surplus ammo that's been showing up at gunshows recently. It comes already on stripper clips and the price is good enough that the clips are almost free!
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I'm happy with 3 mags total for any semiauto.
    Three mags are OK for a .22LR plinker, but not for a carry or competition gun. Having more is not a problem. Not having enough might be.

Lead Moderator
    I usually try to keep about 5 per weapon.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I'm in the "5 mags for every gun" category...including revolver speedloaders. My sole exception is that every once in awhile I find some of those pistol ultra hi-cap mags (20-30rd) for a low price and I'll pick up some. I just did this with those Scherer (sp?) after market Glock mags that are 29rds for the M22 40 and they used to run over $150 and now you can sometimes find them for about $40. So when I find that kind of deal, I snap a few up. I know it would look ridiculous sticking a foot below my Glock M27, but I'm thinking of picking up one of those Kel-Tech Sub2000 folding rifles in 40 and having a Glock grip fitted. Then it makes a lot more sense.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links