Got a new EDC flashlight - NiteCore EX10 SmartPD

Got a new EDC flashlight - NiteCore EX10 SmartPD

This is a discussion on Got a new EDC flashlight - NiteCore EX10 SmartPD within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a new toy in the mail today - a brand new flashlight that just hit the market. This is actually a collaboration between ...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Lightbulb Got a new EDC flashlight - NiteCore EX10 SmartPD

I got a new toy in the mail today - a brand new flashlight that just hit the market. This is actually a collaboration between a flashlight dealer, a relatively new manufacturer, and a machinist that makes custom flashlights (usually in the $500-$1000 range). It is made by NiteCore, and is called the EX10. It uses a single CR123A cell, and there is also a version that runs on a single AA cell. Both of them are only $59... less than half of what I paid for my last Surefire, and less than the Fenix P3D-CE I bought last year.

Enough background... now what'll it do?! Well, it's simple. Basically, it can function any way you want it to. Are you used to the twist on/twist off of a Mini Maglite? It can do that. Do you have a Surefire flashlight with a momentary only switch? It'll do that too. How about a click switch, like on the Surefire E series? Yep. Not only will it work any way you want, but you can vary the output from roughly 3 to 130 lumens. Here are some pics to show what I mean...

First, check out the size - this thing is TINY. Here it is next to a 2xAA Mini MagLite.

And here, next to CR123A and AA cells.

Here it is on low, next to the MagLite...

... and on high.

This light is easily as bright as my Surefire E2DL, but with less ability to throw, and a little bit more flood light. I certainly won't get rid of my Surefires, but this is definitely going to be my new "go to" light for general purpose and low risk EDC.

It is only being sold right now from Fenix-Store.com. Here are some links...

EX10 (1xCR123)

D10 (1xAA)

TONS more information from CandlePowerForums...
    Introducing the NiteCore Smart PD System !! PART 2 - CPFMarketPlace

4sevens, the guy who brought this whole project together, posted a video of the way the light works. Check it out if you care.

YouTube - NiteCore Smart PD System

Looks like an interesting product. I may get slaughtered for saying this, but it looks like it may be too small.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Oh, there is a reason I won't replace my Surefires. I agree, this IS too small for many of the techniques we train for low light shooting... but this is SO small that you now have no excuse to leave your light at home. This is now the light I carry when I'm not carrying a light, just like I carry my Kel-Tec when I'm not carrying a gun.

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for really well made, smaller alternatives to larger items.......

I love my surefires, but I may have to pick up one of these just to throw in my pocket......just because.

Thanks for the info.

Smile

I'm just curious. Isn't the Fenix P2D the same size as the EX10? The P2D is rated at 180 Lumens on "turbo" while the EX10 is rated at only 130 lumens.

Please left me know how the two compare

Edited to add:

I posted pictures of beam shots in this thread.

The P2D is longer than the EX10. If you take the switch off of the P2D, that's about how long the EX10 is. This reduction in size is due to the piston drive design. Fenix also rates their lights at emitter lumens, rather than torch (out the front) lumens. Not only that, but on Turbo, the P2D is driven at a higher current than the EX10 on max, so more heat is generated for more light, with lower battery life. In actual use, there is very little difference.

Update - been carrying the EX10 on my keychain since I got it - it's light and small, and it's holding up very well. I ran into a problem with the RCR123 rechargables I got for it - they're too long! I'll save those for the other lights, looks like this guy is only getting fed primaries for now.
    Last edited by Chooie; July 23rd, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Links