What's the latest in ear protection?

This is a discussion on What's the latest in ear protection? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pair of Howard Leight ear muffs (Leightning 31) and I usually wear ear plugs with them as well. Problem is that I ...

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

I have a pair of Howard Leight ear muffs (Leightning 31) and I usually wear ear plugs with them as well. Problem is that I can't hear anything, even the stuff I want to hear and they are sort of bulky. Now I'm in search of a reasonably priced (less than $100) pair of electronic slimline muffs.

Here's two pair I am considering:

Howard Leight Impact Sport
    MidwayUSA - Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) Green

Peltor 6S
    MidwayUSA - Peltor Tactical 6S Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 20dB) Gray

I'm leaning towards the Howard Leights based on the reviews I've seen and the fact that the Howard Leights that I have now are comfortable and very well made. Again, I'd prefer a slimline style of ear muffs which both of these are.

I've also read some good things about these ear plugs:

EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defender
    EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

Would it be best for me to double up also with the electronic muffs? I shoot indoors 95% of the time.

Thanks for any input.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    This is my hearing protection program:

First Line: Howard Leight Impact Sport Earmuff
    Second Line: EAR PRODUCTS - EAR PLUGS - SUPER LEIGHT PRE-SHAPED FOAM EAR PLUGS 5

If you are exposed to loud noise, take aspirin and vitamin E. ref: Take Two After Each Rock Concert to Protect Your Hearing
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Moderator
    I use the Peltor Tactical 7's.

I am mentioning this because a freind of mine has the 6's and there is a lot more backround "hiss" in his than mine have. Enough so, that after using both of them I would recommend spending the extra bucks for the 7. It is worth it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the input,

The Peltor 7s sound like nice ear muffs but they look to be a little bulky and more than I want to spend right now. I just ordered some Howard Leight LOF ear muffs ($16) to tide me over until I probably buy the Impact Sports. Overstock.com has them for about $55 shipped and ctd.com has them for about $50 shipped but they are out of stock.

Any input on the EP-3 ear plugs with electronic ear muffs?

Thanks again.

Senior Moderator
    The plugs sort of cancel out the advantages of electronic earmuffs. If you want to be able to hear normal conversation,you'll have to forget the plugs.

For normal gunfire, I just wear the muffs. For very loud noises like shooting a .50 BMG, I'll wear both.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks again for the reply,

I could see your point with normal plugs. The EP-3s supposedly let you hear routine sounds also so I was wondering if I could still get the benefit of using two forms of protection (like an ear muff/plug combo can give you) while still being able to hear routine sounds? Maybe it's overkill but I can understand the advantage to having both plugs and ear muffs.

From my own limited experience, I've found that adding plugs to electronic muffs works just fine. I just turn up the volume to compensate for reduction provided by the plugs. Since the amp cuts out when loud sounds occur, the increased volume setting does nothing to potentially damage my hearing & permits hearing pretty much anything I would hear with no protection being worn at all.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

The EP-3s are only $10 so I'm going to give them a try. I already have some Peltor disposable plugs as well if the EP-3s don't workout in terms of comfort and effectiveness. I'm hoping that the Impact Sport/EP-3 combo is a good, comfortable, flexible cost effective combo.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The plugs sort of cancel out the advantages of electronic earmuffs. If you want to be able to hear normal conversation,you'll have to forget the plugs.
    Not exactly true at all. Like Nick, I wear Peltor Comtacs/SWAT-Tacs (nrr 25) with my plugs (nrr30) and turn up the volume to full. I am still able to participate in normal conversation just fine while still getting the benefit of the doubled-up protection.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The EP-3s are nice. I use them under Radians electronic muffs indoors and I can easily hear the stuff I need to hear.

Outdoors, the EP-3s are fine by themselves for pistol only. I wouldn't use them by themselves for rifle or even for pistol if you are close to a wall or backstop that echoes a lot.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

There's a new product out, called SensGuard. I have a pair and LOVE them. They are comfortable, easy to use, and really block the sound. I do a lot of trap shooting, and I can barely hear the guns around me. Just remember, if you get them, they require a "quarter twist" to seat them properly.

Sensgard | The 21st Century Hearing Protection for Shooters
    Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links