What about targets?

This is a discussion on What about targets? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hank - certain element of luck re pins! My main club does weekly .22 pin shoots and we have been lucky enough to know ''someone, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about targets?

Assistant Administrator
    Hank - certain element of luck re pins!

My main club does weekly .22 pin shoots and we have been lucky enough to know ''someone, who knows someone'' etc - and so have boxes of 'em.

I guess it may be worth approaching a bowling place to ask what happens to their old ones but it's possible they'd be looking to move on a whole batch of 1,000 to 1,500 maybe as against just the odd box.

They are excellent tho for targets, that I will agree
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Clay pigeons, steel, shotgun shells, and paper targets are among my favorites. I don't have room to keep alot of my milk jugs, but now and then I take one out full of water and blast it w/ my .308 and it is fun.

I need to invest in a silhouette (sp?) stand so I don't have to walk so far downrange to one of the preset stands (for rifles).

Quote Originally Posted by ka0azs
    Cheap paper plates work fine. (I mean super cheap, the type you DON'T want sitting on your lap with baked beans, potato salad, etc).
    I'm with kaOazs....been using paper plates with red marker to put about siver dollar (remember those) sized bullseye for a long time now. Obviously if you're trying to get "sighting" done, that won't do, but if your goal is "pattern" this is as cheap as you can get and is very effective. I like white targets because the shots are very distinctive for those older eyeballs....even with a .22 cal at 15 yds, you can see your hits pretty doggone good. Only comments I've had at the range, when I put up a pair side by side is that they look like boobs! Oh well! Works for me.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I use a CD I got from "Cheaper Than Dirt." The CD was $10 (I think-it's been a while) You can print on white 8-1/2 X 11 with very little black line, so ink is used sparingly. Since I have to shoot at a range, I can't use fun stuff like milk bottle, cans, and such. I have to use paper targets. I find this method cheap and easy. I usually line up two rows of three across and staple to the cardboard target backing. Then, I use white paper tape to cover the hole I make after each round.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I did a tour as a rangemaster at a NAS before I retired. I qualified people in pistol,rifle,and shotgun to stand watches on ships, guarding prisioners, and at weapons facilities.I had a female shooting at my range one day that told me that all the circles on the paper target were confuseing. She said that she was worried as to weather she hit inside the 8 ring or 9 ring. I turned the target around and told her to put 'em in the center of the paper. She did and she more than qualified. My boss thought that this way of training was strange but he indorsed it. Hey,shoot at the center of the paper,turn it around, and count up the scores.I figured that if your shooting at a human you wont have little circles to shoot at anyway. This way of teaching caught on and it was "accepted" by most rangemasters on the east coast as just another training tool. This is the way that I teach my CCW students. With a blank sheet of white computer paper shootin' at the center. If I want to sight in a weapon I put a orange dot in the center. I have dots that range from 3" down to 1/2".For me personally,I use the computer printer paper and a 6" pie plate. The super cheep ones that you get a gazillion for $8. The paper and the pie plate is the only thing that I shoot at. I find that to "just put 'em in the center" works for me. If I had to shoot at a human,I'd picture the pie plate taped to his chest and shoot at that. It would be less personal that way also. I feel that a plus for shooting blank paper also is that you can start large and slowly work down in size. To me 6" is the smallest that you should go. Nobody has a chest smaller than that. If you can hit a 6" pie plate from 7-10yds. fairly fast, especially double taps,that's good enough for me. I have found that I can always shoot the mansized or torso targets better if I am allowed to tape a piece of paper in the COM. ----------

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    I use a CD I got from "Cheaper Than Dirt." The CD was $10 (I think-it's been a while)
    I've used CD's too - but they are mostly Microsoft CD's. Windows 98 was especially a pleasure. Who said Windows isn't good for anything?

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh but Joe - all those AOL CD's also have a certain ''appeal'' too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like to go to the store and buy a bundle of paper plates. they are cheap and about the size of a human torso.

VIP Member
    Paper plates are great. I put a black dot in the middle, just so there's a center to focus on. Old clay pigeons are very visible and react well. Now that I think of it, just about anything non-glass that cleans up easily (milk jugs, pop bottles, free CDs from the snailmail).
    Wet old phone books are great if you are into capturing spent bullets. After the books sit around and dry, they can still go in the recycling bin.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I read somewhere about tying helium baloons to an RC truck to make an unpredictable moving target. Sounds like fun as long as you have a suitable backstop. Since we do - I may try that this week. First person who shoots the truck buys it!

I made a couple of templates on my computer, and made a master copy. Then make a run of them at a local copy shop.

I also made a template of a silhouette, and pick up the cardboard form my office to make the final target. The put masking tape on the silhouette for a place to aim.
    Last edited by glock21guy; April 2nd, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Senior Moderator
    Go to the internet and type in "Free targets".
    A bunch of sites with every target imaginable will pop up.

Ive made a file and a CD of over 50 NRA,silhouette,animal,IPSC,IDPA, and various. Some examples here:

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.targetz.com/

http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/targets.htm

http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/...e_targets.html

That ought to keep anyone that needs targets busy for awhile...

Put about 700 rounds (collectively between myself, brother, and father) into bowling pins today - weather was beautiful. Some of the pins started getting beat up and we substituted logs of firewood. Worked just as well.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I use a CD I got from AOL. You know, the ones they always send in the mail. I get at least 2-3 per week.

The standard NRA slow-fire pistol target is really cheap when bought in bulk, and even at the range they are usually only $.25 ea. Paper plates are also good, and about the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    I use a CD I got from "Cheaper Than Dirt."
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links