What about targets?

What about targets?

This is a discussion on What about targets? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you do about targets? Do you buy your targets, draw them with crayons. . . how about printing your own? I found a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

What about targets?

What do you do about targets? Do you buy your targets, draw them with crayons. . . how about printing your own? I found a program that lets you print your own targets. It's called TargetExpress. I found it on CNET and it has lots of different targets ie; military, pistol, rifle, etc.

Lead Moderator
    I like to use a variety of diffrent targets from milk jugs full of water to paper targets.

i use litttle bit of everything buy um milk jugs small water bottles charcoal briqes ..etc etc

VIP Member
    I usually print my own (and copy the "master") but I also get a bunch of targets periodically from my LE agency firearms instructor.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Anywhere I can get em - for as close to zero cost as possible. me a cheapskate? You bet!!

I do not print them out a lot because (cheapskate again!) if they are very black it sucks up my black ink and probably saves me nothing. I do resent sometimes paying, what? $4.50 or so for a very few Outers sheets.

I often still use a plain sheet of letter paper - and on occasions stick a three inch orange deal on that - got a large roll of those stickers for $10 from a gun show and they last well.

If I do print out - I use thin line circles (ink economy again ) and a small center black. I ''scrounge'' targets when I can and also use white and black sticky patches a lot - to make a single target last longer.

Other ''objects'' are also well used and could include about anything you can think of!

BTW, in case you didn't realize, with targets I am a cheapskate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late addition - gotta say too - those pendulum resetable steel deals are great for recreation - and speed practice - worth getting some. I have some for .22, another for sorta 38 spl and a real heavy job that'll take .44 mag - great fun!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've been thinking of getting some of those steel resettables. Maybe for Christmas, Oh - no can do, I have to pay for the Springfield Armory Ultra Compact for Christmas. Boo Hoo :-)

I get most of my targets lately from Midway USA. When I order reloading components of other gun stuff I usually get a pack. The prices for large quantities of targets is pretty good.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

1952 - 2006
    I frequently use regular cheap paper plates and either those orange stick ums or a red marks-a-lot.
    I also use a lot of A&W 2 liter root beer bottles filled with water.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I'm with P95Carry - cheaper the better. Clay pigeons are fun and we usually have some laying around after a heavy trap session that aren't usable for throwing. For training - cardboard silhouette cutouts stapled to posts.

Just yesterday we setup a moving target on a cable for a tueller drill. The target is attached to a rope (we even put a fake knife in his 'hands'). The person running the target holds the rope and runs - the other attempts to clear leather and shoot before the 'attacker' gets to him. Very safe and very realistic.

If all else fails - paper with a dot in the center.

Ritz crackers, potatoes, 12g shells, printed targets some, but I like something that reacts when you hit it. Ritz crackers are great for .22 plinking ;)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    My family has made a frame stand that fits "end rolls" - the rolls of newsprint or regular paper that a printing press has left over from a print run. They tend to have decent sized rolls of different widths, and our local press is more than happy to give them to us for free.

Our stand works like a giant toilet paper holder with the roll on the bottom that rolls up and is clamped to a top bar. The stand is mounted in concrete in the earth with the side of a hill as a backstop. The roll, when mounted on the stand, is behind some very big logs - just in case someone is having a really bad shooting day, he don't shoot the roll and ruin it. We just tear off the used target and roll up a new piece, and remove and store the roll when we're done.

We have a template with a big hole for handgun shooting and a little hole for rifles, and we use spray paint. Sometimes I skip the templates and spray body targets, aliens, or whatever I want.

Sometimes we set up moving targets, or use walnuts (plentiful here in TN), cans, milk jugs, or whatever catches our interest.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Cheap paper plates work fine. (I mean super cheap, the type you DON'T want sitting on your lap with baked beans, potato salad, etc).

You can vary the size depending on how difficult you want to make it.

I've also seen folks descripe using 2 paper plates and a 3x5 card on a piece of cardboard. Plates placed one above the other representing COM and Pelvic area, and the 3x5 above that representing head shot area
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Almost forgot - BOWLING PINS! They are great fun and absorb an unbelievable number of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Almost forgot - BOWLING PINS! They are great fun and absorb an unbelievable number of rounds.
    I also like bowling pins. They are great for pistol and shotgun. My wife just had to see what would happen when she nailed one with her .260 Remington this summer. Now I have one less bowling pin.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Where does one get bowling pins?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links