On Sale and decent Ray-O-Vac

This is a discussion on On Sale and decent Ray-O-Vac within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daily carry LED, an Inova T5, is missing. Well, I was looking for an excuse to buy an LED/AA light anyway. I have 3 ...

My daily carry LED, an Inova T5, is missing. Well, I was looking for an excuse to buy an LED/AA light anyway. I have 3 Surefires, but they aren't LED and burn through CR123s too fast, so I keep them for specific purposes. I was looking at a Fenix, but I had seen someone on this forum mention the Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme at Wal-Mart. The last time I did this, I regretted it. The $20 Brinkmann Maxfire I read about on another forum as an "even cheaper G2" lasted about 20 minutes before the thing just quit. But, I thought I'd at least look at the light, which was supposed to be putting out 80 lumens, 3 watts on two AAs. When I got to China-Mart, I found the light is usually $25, on sale for $20. They 1-watt version was even cheaper. Okay, nice looking light, and on sale, so what the heck.
    It doesn't have the wide spill of the Surefires. The light is less blue than on my "mIa"-Nova. Darn bright, with a hot center spot and no dark spots in the beam-I think the flashlight guys call them "artifacts." Anyway, there aren't any. It is much easier to pocket carry than the Surefires, but not as easy as the sleek Inova. It has deep gripping checkering and a good hand shape, probably easier to keep a grip on than the Inova. It's sort of a green to gray color, came with a pocket clip (now GONE) and wrist strap with a tiny, and I do mean tiny hole to mount it on a ring in front of the tail cap. I ditched it and put on my own with a tiny snap ring. Best part-obviously, AA batteries and a 2-3 hour run time quoted.
    Normally, I would hesitate to recommend anything based on a 24-hour try out, so I'm not recommending, just mentioning these since they appear to be on sale-maybe a close out, as the price tags were red and didn't look like the usual Wal-Mart tags. YMMV, and this thing may quit tonight, but it seems to be built well. Plus, I figured the one sure way to have my Inova turn up was to go out and buy a replacement, right?
    Link to the look: Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Yeah, they are a pretty good light for the price. That is why I have one. There is also the Coleman Max with uses a 115 lumen Cree ( I forget what bin). I got one for my sister and it was slightly yellowish. Very bright for running off of three AAA's. Actually, so do Coast flashlights, but they are around a hundred bucks. . .
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Yeah, they are a pretty good light for the price. That is why I have one. There is also the Coleman Max with uses a 115 lumen Cree ( I forget what bin). I got one for my sister and it was slightly yellowish. Very bright for running off of three AAA's. Actually, so do Coast flashlights, but they are around a hundred bucks. . .
    I got a 3xAAA Coast LED from Lowe's for around $40. It's bright and has held up pretty well.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    My wife keeps one of those Rayovac 3W lights on her desk. It comes in handy if the power goes out, or if she has to go rooting around on the floor for a dropped bead or piece of jewelery. It doesn't have enough oomph for me for EDC, though.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I got a 3xAAA Coast LED from Lowe's for around $40. It's bright and has held up pretty well.
    Yeah, I had but lost the one you are probably talking about. Some of the new ones use Cree's and some of them are 167 lumens. That's pretty good for running of three AAA's. But they are expensive, averaging to about $100. Not worth it if you ask me. You can get more for less with Fenix.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Rayovac on sale for $20. At that price I'll buy one for my better half. That should be a good test 'cause she can break anything.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I bought one of those based on the previous thread and have gotten about a dozen more they are my standard shop house RV boat car tool box camping motorcycle flashlight to big for pocket carry like my NovaTac but plenty bright for general use. Made out of aluminum so far they seem plenty durable none have needed battery replacements yet
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I've got 5 of those lights, got them at Wally world for about 20 bucks apiece. For the money, they are far better than any surefire or coast light.

Recently, I used one at a low light IDPA shoot, and it worked just fine.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I bought 2 from Sam's Club for $28 just to see how they were. I was very pleasantly surprised at the output. My daughter was home last weekend and saw it so I had to go get one for each of my daughters. I don't know about the durability but so far they have been excellent and a lot cheaper than comparable others. Great for leaving in the drawer or glovebox for emergiencies.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I like mine. I don't carry it every day but they are well worth the money.

Anyone find a case or holder that works well with the Ray o vac?

I've got three of 'em, one for work, one stays in the car, and one rests with my sidearm at night when I turn in. My two Surefire's are kept on duty belts for my 'other' job. I love the Surefires but those Rayovac's give a lot for the price.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links