Shooting Glasses?

This is a discussion on Shooting Glasses? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. I'm in search for new shooting glasses. My requirements: Good optics that have no distortion changeable lenses for different lighting situations They have to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Glasses?

Shooting Glasses?

Okay. I'm in search for new shooting glasses.

My requirements:
    • Good optics that have no distortion
    • changeable lenses for different lighting situations
    • They have to meet proper impact safety standards of course
    • Don't look too stupid

I'm willing to look into pretty much anything at this point. I'm also willing to spend a reasonable amount on them.

What say you?
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

2. Remove Ads

I actually buy several pairs with different lenses either clear yellow or smoke,I always end up scratching the lenses so as long as they meet osha impact ratings they should be ok,I try not to buy the expensive ones ...read I scratch lenses
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    ESS ICE 2.4 Eyeshield 3 Lens Kit

I use these because I was able to get a prescription insert and I don't think they look all that dumb.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I just had my prescription glasses done up with safety lenses and removable side shields.

I have a pair of Beretta glasses from when I worked at a gun shop. Excellent. Retail was $50, I paid $12. Employee perks.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I've continually worn Wiley X Romer II's for just about every day type carry. They do have a certain "cool factor" but they meet all ballistic and UV standards with three set's of interchangeable lenses.
    Last edited by Skygod; July 8th, 2008 at 05:00 AM.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

If you want some hard use eye pro, go with Oakleys or some Wiley-X's (they might be more important, but they are worth it).

ESS is decent as well. I see no need to go cheap on eye pro, I like having good vision.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I actually buy several pairs with different lenses either clear yellow or smoke,I always end up scratching the lenses so as long as they meet osha impact ratings they should be ok,I try not to buy the expensive ones ...read I scratch lenses
    Ditto. I use the yellow, rose, smoke, translucent lenses accordingly. This means in complete sets. I buy mine through a safety vendor in the area, and each pair costs less than $4 and if taken care of-can last me over a year even on the job, and I wear safety eye glasses 12 hours a day mandatory when I work and they are adjustable. These items are also tax deductible if you are in a position to itemize on your tax return. Sometimes I just wear my Oakleys. They are the bomb!
    Oakley Mens M FRAME Sunglasses - Purchase Oakley eyewear from the online Oakley store

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Another vote for the Mighty O here. My M frames saved my left eye from a piece of jacket several years ago. Have been a faithful user ever since.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

For those using prescription lenses: I was told (misinformed?) that glasses had to be metal framed to accept a prescription lens. There are many cool designs on the safetyglasses usa site, but few which would take a prescrip lens.
    H@H

Hick, Both Oakley and Wiley-X's can be had with prescription lenses in most of their models.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Oakley M-Frames, Half-Jackets, or any of their other several models with interchangeable lenses. I've got a pair of Half-Jackets with both the Black, and what they call Persimon (kind of a pink/orange color) lenses.

Very comfortable to wear for long periods of time, very clear and sharp...no distortion. They also have a high impact-protection rating and don't look nerdy like the "one size fits all" glasses.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have a pair of ESS Ice glasses that are nice looking (even on an ugly guy like me) and comfy. Checkout eBay. I got mine new for about $20 there. Also, as others have mentioned, Wiley X makes nice glasses. I have several pair that I wear when riding the Harley. Again, look on eBay, I found great deals on those there also.

+1 on the Wiley X Romer II! I use them everyday, for shooting, riding the motorcycle, and even when working out in the field.

I have a pair of Decot sport glasses from my competitive skeet days (waaaayy back in another life!). They're great......a little pricey, but you'll never need another pair.

Shooting glasses and sport glasses-Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links