Lights...how many lumens?

This is a discussion on Lights...how many lumens? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you have any experience with the Gerber RX series Xenon lights? They have 30, 100, and 150 lumen models....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights...how many lumens?

Any of you have any experience with the Gerber RX series Xenon lights? They have 30, 100, and 150 lumen models.

2. Remove Ads

A good quality bright light is great, but I think it is possible to be too bright. I have some light colored walls in my house. I found that any light over 90 lumens blinds a little from the light bouncing off the walls. I chose the 65 lumen surefire.

FYI y'all, I found a great buy on a Dorcy - 120 lumans for $39 at Dicks SportingGoods. I also carry my 6P as EDC.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Thumbs up Surefire

Surefire 9P-BK. With the factory lamp I get 105 lumens, and with the optional P91 lamp you can get 200 lumens (I honestly can't tell the difference).

What do you want to use the light for?

"Self defense," tactical use, shop use, etc.???
    I think your choice should be made after you determine what you want to use a light for.

--FD

Inside the house,I go with 60 lumems
    out side 120
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I'm really happy with my surefire G2 LED, with 80 blinding lumens of light, and 12 hours of run time you can't beat it.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

V8
    My first "tactical" light was the Stream light Night Fighter LED. I think it is rated at 47 lumens with a 1 hour run time. For general usage/ EDC it would be fine. It's a little bulky though.
    For fathers day this year I was given a Surfire E2D LED and the difference is almost unbelievable. I was impressed with the Night Fighter until the Surefire came around. It has two modes, high runs for 2 hours at a peak of 120 lumens and low runs for 76 hours at 7 lumens. To be honest the low setting is bright enough for most anything I use it for but the 120 lumens and the striking bezel lets you know it's no joke.

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking for an EDC to put in my Versipack Fatboy.

You really can't go wrong with a Fenix P2D Q5 (with forward "clickie" tailcap mod) or a Surefire E1B. I use both for EDC

Streamlight NF-2, not the LED version. They sent me the LED version by mistake and I wasn't happy at all with it. Fine for looking for the remote under the couch but not for tact work. The NF-2 is 120 Lumens and for around $40 is a heck of a deal!!! I won't carry anything less than 100 lumens.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Personally, I like carrying a Fenix P1 on my keychain & a more "tactical" bulb light in my bag that I put in the car when I go anywhere. While the Fenix P1D is nicer & rated higher than my P1, I like the fact that I just need to turn the bezel for the light to go on (90 lumens) or off & don't have to cycle it to get to different settings (A pain, if you ask me).

I believe some comments were made on lumens not being equal. I'm not sure about that, but I've noticed that the lights with bulbs (Whatever the current ones are called these days) have better throw & may seem like they're putting out better light with the same rating than LED lights. That's why I usually carry a small LED on my keychain & then a more powerful "bulb" one with me separately for those times I need distance from my light.

Those little Fenix's are amazing, especially the P1 (P1D) & the LODs. So much light coming out of a single CR123 or AAA battery, it's amazing how far lights have gone, especially compared to when I started my LE career about 15 yrs ago.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; July 18th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I'm really happy with my surefire G2 LED, with 80 blinding lumens of light, and 12 hours of run time you can't beat it.
    You should try a R2 290 Lumen LED Lamp Upgrade for your G2. You'll be amazed at the output !

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up getting a Surefire 6P LED Defender. Got it for $58 from a local store here in Idaho Falls.

Also picked up a standard G2 off Ebay for $10 brand new.

I think no less than 60 lumens in incandescent light and no less than 100 lumes in LED. LED doesn't have the same "throw" as regular lights. I had a Surefire E2D and now I'm carrying an L4.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Sam's Club

My local Sam's Club has 150 lumen LED flashlights (3 AAA batteries) priced two for $28.00 including batteries. Battery life is advertised at 20 hours. I bought two and was so impressed, that I bought one for each our employees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links