Lights...how many lumens?

This is a discussion on Lights...how many lumens? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many lumens do you consider as minimum for daily carry? I am looking for something that would fit in my Versipack Fatboy so it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights...how many lumens?

How many lumens do you consider as minimum for daily carry? I am looking for something that would fit in my Versipack Fatboy so it needs to be reasonable compact. Thanks!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I wouldn't carry anything less than 60 lumens. I'd check out Fenix LED flashlights. I carry a small one on my keychain that has 20, 9, 60, SOS, and strobe. And two on my belt, one has 10, 40, 80, 140, SOS and strobe, and the other has 60 and 225.

You also need to determine what KIND of light you want, LED or incandescent? Flood or throw? Batteries? Runtime?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It truly depends on what you want the light for. If you intend to use it for tactical applications then yes, 60 lumens is a good minimum. 60 lumens is a bit much when you're just trying to find the keyhole on your front door, though. I carry 2 lights, one is a 120 lumen Surefire E2DL, and the other is variable from 3 to 130 lumens, and is a NiteCore EX10. The Surefire is now available in a dual mode 5/120 lumen model, and is quite compact and easy to stow in a Fatboy Versipack. The NiteCore is my backup light and my go to light for general tasks. I tend not to use the Surefire as much as it is driven much harder and is almost as much a battery hog as an incandescent.

I'm going to back up MP above and have you take agander at the Fenix lights. I just purchased a Fenix L2D about 2 weeks ago and it's a really nice light for all around use. It has multiple light modes, has a Cree LED, and runs off 2 AA batteries. Slender, light, and easy to carry with good versatility. Fenix also makes a momentary tac light tyope switch for this model that I may look into, but I'm leaning more towards buying another one of their lights for that specific purpose.

I've used a couple different lights but the Fenix has really won me over.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I received my Fenix TK11 yesterday...man, that is a sweet flashlight. She fits in my hand perfectly. Will throw out light @ 60 or 225 lumens. I hope it lasts!
    Ca C'est Bon!

I like my Surefire 6PLED, which is 80 lumens I think, or my G2 which is 65 (6P has a much better battery life though), either is fine for tactical work. I also have several Photon keychain lights, not sure about lumens, but they work for when the Surefires are too bright.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I vote with 60.

Wow the Fenix guys are coming out ! I have a P3D and typically use the 9 lumen setting for day to day tasks. The 160 lumen setting will effectively blind pesky coworkers.

Last night, 160 lumens was able to illumuinate a skunk at 45 yards, plainly discernable.... If I had my ears handy there would have been one less skunK!

Minimum...E2e, 60 lumens...I still have one, but now I carry the L4 LumaMax, 100 lumens...it will blind you!

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like the both the Surefire E2E and the G2 LED. The G2 LED is an 80 lumen light with 12 hours of runtime on one set of batteries.

My Surefire E2E is 60 lumens, but I've replaced batteries like socks, even using just momentary illumination.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I carry a novatac it is set at 3, 20, and 120 lumens as well as the tacticool strob it is a great light if you get a chance look into them.

Take all the flashlights you are looking at buying. Shine all of them in your eyes. Pick the brightest one that fits your budget.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

As others have stated, it is well to match the intended use to the right tool. I carry a 60 lumen flashlight as part of my EDC, but it IS a bit bright for routine, close in use. I've added a diffusion filter for everyday 'non-tactical use'.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    My recommendations:

-LED only, period, only way to go
    -I have 2 fenix, 2 surefire; I recommend surefire if you can afford it. I believe they are quite noticeably superior when you get to hold/use the two and are able to compare. My fenixs' both have variable lighting but both have had electrical problems in that they sometimes strobe when they aren't supposed to be. I think they're an okay light but the surefire's are definitely in a different class. The tailcap switch on the surefires is much easier to push because it protrudes from the base versis the fenix which are more flush. The flush fit allows the fenix to stand on end like a candle but I think better control of the on/off is more important, especally if used in conjunction with a hand gun.

-I like a minimum 80 lumen. My Fenix lights are not as bright as my surefire lights even thought they're rated that same as far as lumens. Too long to go into here but not everyone measures lumen's the same and I think some folks fudge a little to make the light sound more impressive than it is.

Surefire makes a single CR123 battery light that I think is perfect for everyday running around; because it's LED it'll last and it fits in the pocket easily; it's an ideal EDC.

For the difference in price between Fenix and surefire, I'd recommend you save the extra and go with a Surefire.

I think the Surefire and the Fenix are both really great lights and you can't go wrong with either manufacturer IMHO. It's all about checking out the different models and determining what your budget and usage is going to fit.

Fenix is definately going to be getting more of my money over the coming years because they have simply impressed me with their value. That being said, I would NEVER pass over a great deal on a Surefire light because they also provide products that are outstanding.

Getting back to the OP's particular question, IMHO, 65 lumens from any source, be it LED or incandescent, is your absolute minimum when it comes to "tactical" type usage. For something that could help save your life in an encounter, always buy as much as you can afford!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links