Light for the girlfriend

Light for the girlfriend

This is a discussion on Light for the girlfriend within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to purchase a small light tactical light for my girlfriend. She is actually thrilled with the idea. These are my criteria. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light for the girlfriend

Light for the girlfriend

I am looking to purchase a small light tactical light for my girlfriend. She is actually thrilled with the idea. These are my criteria. It should fit in her purse and not take up all of the room....so she wont be inclined to leave it behind. She only carries moderately sized purses. It should be relatively powerful...and durable. I have become a very big advocate of Surefire products and have had Streamlights. Just like the Surefire better. the surefires can be pricey. but they are a benchmark for a reason. I know G and R have great discounts on their Surefire stuff> That is where I purchased my E1L. I have been wanting to experiment with the other brands out there ( Fenix, Inova, Pentagon etc.) thought this might be a good opportunity. I dont want to spend over a 100.00 if I can help it. I have an E1L LED and have come to really appreciate LED but it does not have to be an LED. I am open to suggestions. If anybody has field reports it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jwhite75; July 9th, 2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Left stuff out
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

What about a multi led flashlight for a keychain. i usually get them free from snapon or maco tools trucks. just ask the guy im sure he'll give ya one
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Well I am gonna buy her an Inova Keychain light. But i want her to have a powerful light for self defense if necessary too. She goes to a big university @ 1/2 hours away from me. Plus a lot of elevators and big dark buildings to get stuck in or navigate late.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I am looking to purchase a small light tactical light for my girlfriend. She is actually thrilled with the idea. These are my criteria. It should fit in her purse and not take up all of the room....so she wont be inclined to leave it behind. She only carries moderately sized purses. It should be relatively powerful...and durable. I have become a very big advocate of Surefire products and have had Streamlights. Just like the Surefire better. the surefires can be pricey. but they are a benchmark for a reason. I know G and R have great discounts on their Surefire stuff> That is where I purchased my E1L. I have been wanting to experiment with the other brands out there ( Fenix, Inova, Pentagon etc.) thought this might be a good opportunity. I dont want to spend over a 100.00 if I can help it. I have an E1L LED and have come to really appreciate LED but it does not have to be an LED. I am open to suggestions. If anybody has field reports it would be appreciated.
    Surefire E1B? It's a little over your $100 mark, but they can often be had secondhand (like new or barely used) on CPF or eBay. If you want to go cheaper than that, maybe a NiteCore Defender Infinity (aka NDI) or EX10/D10. All of these lights are small and use only one cell. The NDI and D10 use AA batteries while the Surefire and NiteCore EX10 use a 123A lithium cell. They're all fairly small, but if this is something that's going to be tossed in the purse and forgotten for years, then I would shy away from the AA lights. If she's going to use it often then one of the AA lights with some NiMH rechargeable batteries (such as Sanyo Eneloops) would be a great combination... plus you can get the whole shebang, batteries and charger included, for much less than $100.

She is the great combo of girly and tomboy. She prob will use it when she needs and not just forget about it....but not use it nearly as much as i do on a daily basis in LE work.

For Tactical Lights.... Ebay is your friend!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    She is the great combo of girly and tomboy. She prob will use it when she needs and not just forget about it....but not use it nearly as much as i do on a daily basis in LE work.
    I'd probably recommend the NiteCore D10. It's a great little light for what it costs.

NiteCore SmartPD D10 4Sevens

The Eneloop batteries and charger
    Amazon.com: Sanyo Eneloop 4 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargable Batteries w/ Charger: Electronics

Wal-Mart sells a cute little 80 lume light for about $30-$40....they're found in the sporting-good section with the other lights. Here's the link:
    Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights

For a hundred, you'd get 3 or 4 of 'em....and they work! I've got a few of them. My Surefire's are good lights but they stay on the duty belt.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Chooie, What about the EX10?

I have the EX10 and love it, but I think the D10 is the better of the two lights for most people because of its ability to use regular AA batteries in a pinch. I carry spare CR123A lithium batteries with me, but then again, I carry two lights that use them. The D10 is also a little bit longer, and fits in the hand better.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Fenix-store.com, what more can I say? You can get LED lights that use, AAA, AA, and CR123A's with lumens from 9-225. I highly recommend them.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Wal-Mart sells a cute little 80 lume light for about $30-$40....they're found in the sporting-good section with the other lights. Here's the link:
    Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights

For a hundred, you'd get 3 or 4 of 'em....and they work! I've got a few of them. My Surefire's are good lights but they stay on the duty belt.
    I have one of these as well. They work awesome, and are extremely durable. Who woulda thought?......
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

VIP Member
    Looks like the E1B was already recommended. I've been carrying an E1E (not an LED) for years in a small purse, so that size light isn't too big and bulky.

For a teeny-tiny but super-bright backup LED light that can go anywhere and that she can put on her keychain, she can try a Streamlight Nano.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty...thanks for the womans perspective. I was looking at the inova keychain light too i will look at the streamlight now that you have mentioned it. I lobe my E1L and so does she. I may go with that. I guess i am just kind of curious to try some of the new brand out that the members have been talking about.

You should take a look at the Surefire 6PL. I love my 6PL's. They are VERY bright and they have an 11 hour run time on them. They can be had for under $100 too.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links