Gun Inventory Management Software

This is a discussion on Gun Inventory Management Software within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm very unhappy with the current selection of software out there for gun tracking. I'm thinking of developing something myself. I would welcome any and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Inventory Management Software

I'm very unhappy with the current selection of software out there for gun tracking. I'm thinking of developing something myself.

I would welcome any and all suggestions. Final product would be free. I would really like to make this all inclusive so if there is anything missing in your present software package or spreadsheet let me know.

Senior Moderator
    Actually there is something. I'm not too computer savy, so I am not sure it can even be done.

You put a date of purchase on the weapon. Then you add a cost of replacement factor, due to inflation. Something like cost of gun plus say, 4 percent a year inflation.

That way, if the Remington 700 that you paid 289 for 20 years ago was stolen, you could have a fairly accurate cost of replacement factor to give to the insurance people when they asked you what it would cost.

Of course, on things like black rifles, discontinued guns, or true collector items it may not be that accurate, but it would be a good start for the rest of the stuff you had.

Sound doable?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I bet there is a Microsoft Access template out there somewhere.

I have seen some templates for home inventory and some for asset management, shouldn't be too difficult to modify the fields.

Found this just after I posted.

NM Gun Collector Software
    Last edited by Paco; July 12th, 2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Needed to add content so as to not inflate my posting numbers with another post when I could simply edit the last one :-)
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Definitely doable. I've actually been thinking about doing something like this myself. Are there any other features that people are interested in?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quicken Home Inventory Manager works pretty well for my gun inventory.

Hmm, I'm thinking a field for ammo choices; you you can check off the ones that work well with a particular gun.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    For my 03 FFL I just use an excel spreadsheet. I just print it out and put it in a binder for BATFE complice.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I created a bare-bones database in Access that I use for my personal inventory; I added searches by manufacturer, caliber or type. I have also printed out a copy and keep it in my safety deposit box at the bank.

VIP Member
    I started using the GunSafe software about 18 months ago and though it is not perfect it does a great job for me. Gun Safe Firearms Collection Software
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I started using the GunSafe software about 18 months ago and though it is not perfect it does a great job for me. Gun Safe Firearms Collection Software
    You beat me to it. You got in while I was still looking for the website.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

VIP Member
    I hope one day I have a collection of weapons that requires software to keep track of it!

My ideas would be, Make, Model, caliber, serial number, condition, date of purchase (and sale if you get rid of it) plus pictures that show gun condition and serial number. All this info in a form to be printed/saved in PFD.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I hope one day I have a collection of weapons that requires software to keep track of it!

My ideas would be, Make, Model, caliber, serial number, condition, date of purchase (and sale if you get rid of it) plus pictures that show gun condition and serial number. All this info in a form to be printed/saved in PFD.
    PDF??
    As time permits I'll start building this stuff. My photography business isn't keeping me busy and the wife isn't either so I might as well do something with my time. I can't clean 1 gun everyday.

we'll see if we can come up with a free alternative to what we've been using in the past and make it real user friendly.
    I'd even be willing to mold this into something you FFL guys could use.

I may try the software, but I've used a Word document, sort of journal format, for years. I have an order of entry, include purchase price, where purchased, and who it was sold to and for how much when I sell it (in bold at the end of the entry). Doesn't look as cool as the software, but works for insurance purposes (and usually works to remind me that I should not have sold that gun!).
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    My ideas would be, Make, Model, caliber, serial number, condition, date of purchase (and sale if you get rid of it) plus pictures that show gun condition and serial number.
    Create it as an HTML document by doing that you make it easily universal Mac & PC users less programming (I assume). Use the above add price, place of purchase, make each gun a clickable link for that guns specific info like pictures gun modificatiuons, shooting scores, ammo performance
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links