Anyone wear body armor?

This is a discussion on Anyone wear body armor? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than PD officers? Was wondering. I have a vest from my former occupation, but don't wear it as the risk does not warrant it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wear body armor?

Lead Moderator

Anyone wear body armor?

Other than PD officers? Was wondering. I have a vest from my former occupation, but don't wear it as the risk does not warrant it in my area(my opinion). I have considered donning it for metro travel times , but haven't had the opportunity yet.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As a Constable, I am LE, but not working for a PD.

I have and wear a vest when serving papers or making an arrest. As soon as I'm done, I can't wait to take it off! It's the most uncomfortable thing to wear for any length of time. Since I am wearing a firearm IWB during the warmer months, the side edges of the vest also get in the way of the gun . . . OWB is no problem and preferred carry when more clothing is appropriate.

It probably doesn't help that I've gained ~15# since I bought the vest. I really need to take that weight off plus some!

Administrator

Rarely

I own a Theat Level IIIA w/ a hard Titanium & soft trauma plate.
    It is decently heavy.
    I don't wear it much at all these days.
    Only when I go to house & "estate" sales in a few really crappy areas of Pittsburgh...then I sure do feel better having it on.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not until they invent the Bullet-Proof t-shirt! BA sucks! If you are an open target (read: uniform & gun) then it makes sense, but not EDC as a citizen.

Assistant Administrator
    If I had one it might be used very occasionally - but I cannot justify the cost plus - the way I sweat in summer, I doubt I'd survive in it even without being shot at LOL!

Other eve Discovery had a documentary deal about the N Hollywood shootout. One guy was Phillips (forget other's name) and he had body armor all over - and just stood taking rounds while spraying his AK.

The 2 BG's apparently fired well over 1,000 rounds. Unfortunately the reporting had a field day because of BG's AP bullet use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Would be nice to have for 'bad case' scenarios. (Riots, market crash, nuclear attacks, etc.)

Lead Moderator
    yep, the N. Hollywood BG's used extensive body armor, too bad the PD didn't get their request for Carbie patrol rifles. Would have ended the stand off much quicker.

VIP Member
    I have a second level III tac vest next to my bed (my primary vest is in my G-car) ready to slip on if things go "bump" in the night.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I used to keep my behind the seat & as part of the bump in the night roll out gear. Used to wear it on certain EMT runs. was one of the few MPs that wore one in the early eighties. Took a certain amount of guff from some MPs most of the older guys were appreciative though.
    I am a strong advocate for LEs wearing them and anyone that might goes in harms way to have one.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

I've got a IIIA with a titanium plate as well as an older hard trauma plate for it. I've worn it a few times, and spent 3 years wearing BA every day. Honestly, the threat would have to be pretty severe for me to justify wearing it. As Jim says, open carry and a uniform. Otherwise, it's just too restrictive. And hot. Not so heavy, maybe 6 lbs. For now, it sits in my closet.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Naw i dont .. Dont think they make um in Fatboy size course i coudl use it when working in detroit

Lead Moderator
    sure they do Bud, Lots of old cops much bigger than you. In fact my old Sargent went by the nick name "Dobo", short for Pillsbury doughboy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    sure they do Bud, Lots of old cops much bigger than you. In fact my old Sargent went by the nick name "Dobo", short for Pillsbury doughboy.

Lol

unless i can get the whole deal BP cup and all im not intersted ...lol

Administrator
    I guess a person can "get used to" anything if they don't have any choice but, I don't know how LEOs wear Body Armor all day in summer heat. Sure beats catching a bullet but, not by much. That stuff is HOT!
    I know that they have undershirts that wick away perspiration but, God that hasta get pretty doggone uncomfortable after a while.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Level II synergy concealable from first choice. I wear it on the range teaching or when I am riding home at night from my business. (Bike path is a little dark.;))

Jacob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links