Surefire e1L question

Surefire e1L question

This is a discussion on Surefire e1L question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all! Have my eyes set on a Surefire E1L but wanted to touch base here first. For those of you that have one what ...

Surefire e1L question

Hey all! Have my eyes set on a Surefire E1L but wanted to touch base here first. For those of you that have one what kind of "real world" battery life do you get? I mean, surefire tells you what the runtime is but does the light stay pretty bright the entire time or does it really dim a lot and become not as useful. I have the Z2 and G2 but don't have any of their LEDs yet and didn't know how nice a flashlight this would be. It will just be thrown in my pocket and won't be used to clear houses or anything. ha! I appreciate your input!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Hey all! Have my eyes set on a Surefire E1L but wanted to touch base here first. For those of you that have one what kind of "real world" battery life do you get? I mean, surefire tells you what the runtime is but does the light stay pretty bright the entire time or does it really dim a lot and become not as useful. I have the Z2 and G2 but don't have any of their LEDs yet and didn't know how nice a flashlight this would be. It will just be thrown in my pocket and won't be used to clear houses or anything. ha! I appreciate your input!
    Surefire is known to generally give you the correct runtimes, not inflate the numbers like some other companies. The only exception to this would seem to be the G2L/6PL lights. Surefire says 11 hours, but the tactical level (60 lumens or more) of light drops off after 4-5 hours. Still leaves you plenty of light (+5 hours of dimming light) for finding more batteries to 'top off' the tank, so to speak. The E1L, E2L, and L1 flashlights are known for their long runtime curves. I think they all do as advertised, and do it fantastically at that. I only have an L1 Cree, but it is my favorite light out of all my Surefires (I have 7).

You'll love the Type III anodization on the lights, too. Throw it on the floor all day long with nary a nick or scratch.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I can't offer you anything about real-world runtime but consider that surefire lights are regulated and should provide useful output for most of their advertised output. On a different note, consider purchasing the Backup or L1. Like the EiL, they are both single cr123, cree LED with dual output. The backup has a clickie switch and the L1 does not. More importantly, their maximum output is much brighter than the E1L and gets them past surefire's 60-lumen minimum requirement for a self-defense light.

I have an older version of the E1L and it's a great light. I never carry it anymore as I have an L1 that puts out much more light in a similar form factor. The newer E1L with the Cree LED splits the difference between the two in output. The only downside to the L1 is that it's minimally larger than the E1L but if that's an issue, the Backup is the same size as the E1lL and the backup is the first pocket surefire to have a useful pocket clip IMHO.

The only upside to the E1L is the longer battery-life, which is a non-issue the way I use my pocket light. I don't have a need for a pocketlight that runs 48 hours with 3 lumens or 8 hours at 45 lumens but am convinced of the need for one that can temporarily blind an opponent when used at it's brightest setting in addition to more mundane tasks like locating lost car keys or illuminating a walkway at it's lowest setting.

There's a ton of info dedicated to flashlights and I'm sure you can find your exact answer at:
    CandlePowerForums - Powered by vBulletin

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your thoughts. I'm going to go for it. Now to just find the right price. ha! Looks like LA Police Gear has it for 99.99 with 8 batteries and free shipping. Never ordered from them before but heard about them enough that they should be okay. Again, thanks for the help!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Received my E1L yesterday! Woo hoo... gotta love new toys. Seems great so far. It is one of the newer ones that has the dual output. I believe it's 3 lumens and 45 lumens. I was afraid the first click of the switch would initiate the 45 first and the second click the 3 but I was happy once I found that it is the opposite. I love the small size. Paid 99.00 at batteryjunction.com. I was a little hesitant since I had never ordered from them but it was a great experience. Ordered it late on Friday and got it on Wednesday. Also, got the free shipping and 8 batteries. Certainly, would use them again. I read on here somewhere that someone thought incandescents would be a thing of the past soon. I have to agree. LEDs are where it's at. I compared the "color" of the white light to my surefire Z2 and it's brilliant white. The Z2 seemed to be almost a yellow compared to it. With the long run times it's hard not to love them. I see more in my future! (insert evil laugh here)
    Allen

Links