Gunvault vs Others

Gunvault vs Others

This is a discussion on Gunvault vs Others within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a tough topic to search on. I am looking for a small single handgun vault for my home desk. 4 finger activation type. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gunvault vs Others

This is a tough topic to search on. I am looking for a small single handgun vault for my home desk. 4 finger activation type. Any comments on brands and your likes or dislikes?

I have one of the GunVault MiniVaults in each of my vehicles, but they aren't exactly mini sized (12X8X5). If I were looking for something for a desk drawer, I would take a hard look at this one. I like that the top opens instead of the front making it better to be used from inside a drawer. It's user programmable and only 3 1/2 inches high however at 16 1/2" deep, it would require a fairly deep drawer. Here's another one that top opens, though considerably more expensive. This one, though not for inside a drawer, could be interesting for mounting on the side of the desk.

Hope that helps a little.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've heard pretty good things about these. Availability at Wally World is always a plus too. The price is right on them.

Walmart.com: DAC SportSafe Portable Gun Safe: Hunting
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I have a "Gunvault Bio" & i love it Its 10w X 13d X 8h and it has a removable upper shelf, automatic opening door, interior light (led) & of course NO key required (although included) JUST YOUR FINGERPRINT opens the door. It plugs in to the wall & has a battery back-up. The price is about $300 though......Check it out
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I've had my small gunvault deluxe for a year now. I like it a lot. The deluxe has the a/c pack (to plug it in), but I still have the batteries in it.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    This place has the Gunvault Deluxe for $124 shipped:
    http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site...uct/GV1000CDLX

Not bad. How accurate is the fingerprint recognition? I may pick one up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    GunVault Deluxe Minivault Pistol Safe

I may be mis-reading your post but just wanted to make sure you realize that the GunVault Deluxe does NOT have fingerprint recognition.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I may be mis-reading your post but just wanted to make sure you realize that the GunVault Deluxe does NOT have fingerprint recognition.

Hoss

Thanks Hoss,

You are correct. I didn't read the specs well enough and just thought it did from the picture. Thanks for the heads-up. Still a good deal on a nice safe though.

You can get one cheaper than that.

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...FQyenAodwi4MqQ

My experiences with my first Gunvault are here.

Gunvault eventually replaced my defective unit at no cost. I've had my second unit for well over a year. No problems.

YMMV one hell of a lot,
    Bill

From my personal experience, I would not recommend this model Gunvault for firearm storage. Last November my house was burglarized while my wife and I were at work. When I arrived home I found my Gunvault open, with no signs of damage from being forced, and the pistol that was inside gone.

I mentioned this apparent lack of damage to the police officer and he told me that thieves could easily force open the type of lock on my Gunvault with the end of a Bic pen. This is the type of lock that requires a cylindrical key. I don't know if all model Gunvaults have this type of lock, but I would recommend you stay away from the ones that do!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
    From my personal experience, I would not recommend this model Gunvault for firearm storage. Last November my house was burglarized while my wife and I were at work. When I arrived home I found my Gunvault open, with no signs of damage from being forced, and the pistol that was inside gone.

I mentioned this apparent lack of damage to the police officer and he told me that thieves could easily force open the type of lock on my Gunvault with the end of a Bic pen. This is the type of lock that requires a cylindrical key. I don't know if all model Gunvaults have this type of lock, but I would recommend you stay away from the ones that do!
    Very good point and worth reminding people about.

I do not use my vault for theft protection, I use it for home safety. Now, admittedly, I leave a fire arm in it when I am not home, but have no real expectations that it will stop a thief. I hope the alarm system and dog will help that at least some.

If I want me gun theft proof, it goes in a quality safe,

I usually keep 2 or 3 pistols in drawers around the house loaded and ready to go and only put them into the safe if the wife and I are going to be gone for awhile.

We have no children at home (ours are grown) and so I am not worried about that.

Like you I don't believe the vaults would deter a theft anyway, if nothing else the thief would simply take it with him and open it up later on. However they should still be good for securing handguns from children or irresponsible adults.
    God bless our troops!

I also use one for the final safety when I am asleep. One last step before I have a firearm in my hands as I wake from sleep. I consider myself a person who wakes fast (occupational hazard) but still a irresponsible adult until I am awake.

Very good point, an extra step to take to help you wake up.

BTW I like your avatar, you have very good taste! LOL
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links