.22 conversion for Glock 30

This is a discussion on .22 conversion for Glock 30 within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my Glock 27 and the conversion kit out to the range today for the first time! Order to receiving the kit took about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 conversion for Glock 30

I took my Glock 27 and the conversion kit out to the range today for the first time! Order to receiving the kit took about 3-4 weeks. I was out of town when it arrived, so it took another week to actually try it out :-(

I got a box of Remington "Golden Bullets" and CCI "Mini Mags", the two recommended brands, from Gander Mountain.

Installing the kit is easy. Just take the original slide off, put the AA slide on, and you are set. (well, and use their magazine). To remove it, reverse the process. Takes as long as it takes you to field strip the gun.

The first 10 rounds went very inaccurate. I am not sure if it was me or the gun. But just before that, I had shot 10 of my "carry .40s" (what I had in my magazine) and the .22 group was worse even though I took my time.

However, this improved a lot. Accuracy was better for the 22s, as I expected. I am not a great shooter, so either it was me getting used to it, or the kit needs a couple rounds of "burn in". The main reason I got the conversion kit was for cheaper practice. I had one misfeed out of 150 rounds. What I found is that the bullets don't line up all that well in the magazine and it probably helps to "stomp" it once after loading.

Positives:
    - you use your daily carry gun for training.
    - much cheaper ammo (I got 100 for $8 I think, which was regular Gander Mountain retail... a bit cheaper online).
    - easier on the wrist / easier to shoot a lot of rounds.
    - safer??? (not sure.... its still a bullet, but if you compare it to reloading in order to safe money, its safer)

Negatives:
    - the gun is quite a bit lighter, which of course counters the "same gun" argument. Maybe they could add weight to the magazine?
    - according to the big red warning note that came with the kit, it is picky on the bullets (makes it a bit more expensive/harder to find the right bullets).
    - of course, shooting .40s feels different (may be a plus or minus)
    - I don't think there is a pinky extension for their magazine. I got one for all my .40 magazines (again: less realistic training)

I am happy that I got the kit.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

2. Remove Ads

Still looking for a reasonable price on the .22 mags for the conversion. (Yeah, I'm scotch)

Joe

I bought my Glock 30sf today and when I got home I ordered the .22 conversion kit and 2 extra mags. They are backordered on all kits for 6 weeks right now.

I do not own the same Glock as you, but I just shot my Advantage Arms conversion Saturday for the first time.

I'm sure most have reviewed information / opinions on them already. Only thing I would add / state:

* With the reduced recoil it provides a nice, and less expensive, practice pistol for double tap using the same trigger feal / similar sights.

* Only negative, do to the CA limitations Advantage Arms has, the mags are only 10 rounds. It is very tedious to load those little .22 (even with the mag loader).

There are other + & - but in the end, I think I'm going to like it for the often stated "fun factor."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links